Help please... school presentation (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I'm giving a presentation tomorrow. So I'm writing my speech now, yeah I know last minute. It's about Mardi Gras does any of yall remember anything about the old glass beads they used to be thrown. Like what they were like and what was it like the first year they changed into plastic? Also, where the phrase throw me something mister originated from. any help would be appreciated... Thanks

I remember the glass beeds they were still throwing into the early 70's. The beads were usually multi colored and were pretty small. Even small as they were, they were much heavier than beads we see today. I'm not sure of when they turned to plastic, but I recall Rex and Bacchus and a few other parades switching to insignia beeds in the mid(?)-late 70's.

TPS

The glass beads were not made in China, but in the Czech republic. There were long, elaborate strings and the smaller ones. They hooked with a metal clasp, like "real" jewelry. (yes, I still have a bunch!)

(I believe) Zeus threw the first plastic cups in 1978 for their 20th anniversary. The guy who invented them lived in Metairie/Jefferson and still holds the patent - now used worldwide.

Google the history of Mardi Gras- I'm sure there's some good stuff.

You could also talk about how the floats didn't used to have their own lighting, so they had men walking with flaming torches next to them to cast light on to the floats. Those guys were called flambeaux (flambeau when singular).

Some of the parades still have those guys as a tradition, but with lights on the floats they are no longer necessary. Kind of a cool history though.

Look up Arthur Hardy and Mardi Gras on the internet. He does a Mardi Gras guide every year. Likely a lot of info there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom