HELP w/ WiFi internet speed (1 Viewer)

hate to be that guy, but you have router and modem backwards.. the netgear orbi is the router.
my understanding is the orbi system is for more optimized wider area coverage(ie. full home coverage)
I'd imagine it would have the more updated chipsets to allow for faster throughput.
at 60, i wouldnt' expect more than 1 solid 4k stream, and another 2 or so hd.
and the directv sunday tkt stream, according to the supervisor i had spoken with when i had purchased it , then subsequently cancelled as they don't have enough speed for that stream without a lot of buffering untill you're over 100mb internet connection.. terribly inefficient.

fwiw, mlu, when i speedtest my wifi, i get faster than the paid for speed. but it's cause it's constantly using the speedboost that get with first start a session with via comcast. so it does hit 90mb, but it constantly starting over, as if lost connection.. great speed for a file download. but terribad for gaming/vid stream.

Up in my neck of the woods I have to use Charter (Spectrum) for an ISP. No other choices. I have their basic package that gets me 60 Mbps and pay to get the WiFi steam throughout the house. Recently did a monster upgrade to my TV Entertainment System and finally have a smart TV, etc. Want to do Netflix and HBO stuff and even utilize down loaded stuff from my DirecTV but the speed simply won't allow it. Even surfing the web get bogged down sometimes.

They provided me an Arris modem (free) and a Netgear R6300 Router. I am assuming this is the issue? I have a bunch of 'free' Best Buy cash from my purchases so want to order a router from them. Don't really care about the cost just don't wan to overspend for my speed if it is not gonna matter. Do I buy both a router and modem or just a router? Thanks much folks!

Keep us updated. I have a few ideas but want to know if any of the other posters suggestions worked.

I just dealt with a similar dilemma. We are also only able to get Spectrum where we live, but I've been very happy with the service. I believe we've only had one drop in service in 2+ years, and the speed has always been plenty for our needs. My husband and I play online computer games regularly, and we stream Amazon, Netflix and YouTube over the Xbox One on a regular basis. All devices are connected wirelessly.

However...we started seeing disconnects and drops in speed recently. We were unable to stream completely, and were down to around 9 Mbps. Long story short, I traced the problem to our old router. Did some research and ended up with the ASUS RT-ACRH13 Dual-Band. Overkill, yes. But it has solved our problem. We are back to running everything in the house on wireless. I've even clocked speeds at 66 Mbps, taking the online speed tests for what they are worth. But we have no problems. Our router is in the back of the house, and we stream through the Xbox in the front of the house. I would definitely recommend the hardware! :9:

I must admit that I have FiOS and to say it is a god-send is an understatement.

The entire country should be wired with FiOS

Well it turns out the Arris SB6190 was a bunk modem. Just did not work correctly or consistently. Charter provided me with a new Cisco DPC3208 and that with my Orbi has me flying around really fast. 69.98 mbps on the DL and 9.19 UL speeds from my wired in PC, other stuff on the WiFi network is really moving great too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom