Help with driveway cracks in new home!! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I moved in a new construction Aug. 07, my driveway has developed several cracks that measure about 1/4 inch in width and about 10 ft. long. It has joints placed every 10 ft. but the cracks are between every one of them.

Is this considered normal?

Is the builder responsible for fixing them?

What is the proper fix, I know the builder will only put a bandaid on it.

im not an expert but I have never seen a patch job hold up on something like that

does it need to be repaired? If so could I have the builder replace the entire driveway?

Dude, before you do anything else, take lots and lots of PICTURES. Make sure the date/time setting is turned on and correct and that it appears on the pictures too.

They probably tried to go unreinforced with a tight joint spacing. Or, it may be a slab with nylon fibers only and they went that way.

Hairline cracks will happen due to stresses during curing. However, you have 1/4" cracks right between joints I would guess. Stick something in the crack if possible to see if there are bars in it. It may also have been where the wire mesh sat on the ground when poured, or maybe stepped down the ground. Either way, it is not proper construction.

The International Residential Code is the law of the land pretty much everywhere now, so I am pretty sure it addresses minimum reinforcement requirements for drives and sidewalks.

Get the builder out and ask him if reinforced. If he says no then pull out the code book. If he says yes, then have him say it in writing so that when it is determined that no reinforcement was added then he did not construct properly.

I have seen other houses in the neighborhood he has constructed and I have always seen rebar and wire down.

Where can i find this code book?

Is he responsible for replacing the entire driveway?

They probably tried to go unreinforced with a tight joint spacing. Or, it may be a slab with nylon fibers only and they went that way.

Hairline cracks will happen due to stresses during curing. However, you have 1/4" cracks right between joints I would guess. Stick something in the crack if possible to see if there are bars in it. It may also have been where the wire mesh sat on the ground when poured, or maybe stepped down the ground. Either way, it is not proper construction.

The International Residential Code is the law of the land pretty much everywhere now, so I am pretty sure it addresses minimum reinforcement requirements for drives and sidewalks.

Get the builder out and ask him if reinforced. If he says no then pull out the code book. If he says yes, then have him say it in writing so that when it is determined that no reinforcement was added then he did not construct properly.

when you say minimum requirements, how do i determine if they were followed?

I guess my question is? If the builder did or did not follow code what is my recourse in having it repaired? Thanks for your help

I guess my question is? If the builder did or did not follow code what is my recourse in having it repaired? Thanks for your help

I do not have a copy, but the IRC gives prescriptive requirements for construction. That is, it provides standards so that each instance does not have to be "designed" but can be done correct enough.

Not guaranteeing its in there, but I would bet it is.

The builder is required to build per the IRC per the munincipal codes for each jurisdiction that is in charge of building. Look up your county or city to see what codes are required for all work in that area. If the IRC is listed then in theory they have broken the law (not sure about this need to see a lawyer....thanks Pre-paid Legal) if they differed from the code. This is a licensing issue, not a better business bureau issue. If they are a licensed contractor, then that is where the teeth is. If they are unlicensed then that is another issue.

That said, I am not an expert in Residential Construction, just trying to help ya.

my concern, is if the driveway is doing that... what about the foundation to the house..

WOW! I have the same problem....They are sometimes referred to as "Spiders"...common. However, my problem started as that ( New construction 2005 ) and is now starting to "pop" up which means the crack is thru to bottom of slab.

I have several clients that are concrete guys, and too a man they said the mix was prolly bad. ( too much water ) or the concrete cured too fast ( if poured on hot day ). One also said to have my concrete tested for psi....driveways are to be rated at 3000 lbs. They told me that the mix, when it comes in a truck, is good for about 30 min max. After that, they have to add water to keep the mix "liquid" and by adding water they thin the mix. that can lead to all sorts of problems.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom