Help with the backyard (1 Viewer)

guidomerkinsrules

W H A T E V I R
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So we're moving into a new rental, and the owner is pretty lax about the backyard (meaning I can do stuff to it)

Today as I was walking back there I noticed that the back part of the yard was pretty mucky - obviously there's been a lot of rain, but it's also highly shaded so it's not going to dry out very quickly

I have a 2 1/2 yr old who must jump in every mud puddle he sees
Generally I'm ok with this, but I don't want every visit to the backyard to be a mud bath (for the dog either)
And mosquitos

What's the easiest cheapest thing I can do back there to mitigate the mud?
20'x20'

buy grass pallets... they will adhere to the mud and you wont have to water it much. pretty cheap too for that size

one day project.

astro turf, may not be cheep but maint free
i have spots where nothing will grow, high traffic
works great. was free so i don't know prices

images

-may want to downsize a bit

So we're moving into a new rental, and the owner is pretty lax about the backyard (meaning I can do stuff to it)

Today as I was walking back there I noticed that the back part of the yard was pretty mucky - obviously there's been a lot of rain, but it's also highly shaded so it's not going to dry out very quickly

Generally I'm ok with this, but I don't want every visit to the backyard to be a mud bath (for the dog either)
And mosquitos

20'x20'
How shaded? If you put sod down if not enough light it will die and you will be back at square one.

Although you are on south shore so you probably have St. Aug grass which is pretty hearty so that may work and is least expensive. You can get at most Home Depot or if there is Simpson Sod over there. Comes in 12x18inch .

Just water regularly since we are in heat of late summer but should do fine.

Next cheapest way ....dig a hole, line it ....pond.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I agree with the tree trimming. If you can thin out some branches and get additional sunlight, you will win. Everybody likes to win.

If you have access to a decent tiller then spreading a little sand around and tilling it into the dirt will help with drying. All you need now are some Tonka trucks.

And mosquitos

20'x20'

You shouldn't have standing water in your backyard - not enough to always have a mudhole. Double check the septic system and/or see if there's some other source like a misdirected gutter downspout. Even if it's rain water, it should be draining out somewhere. Until you find the source, it will be a losing battle.

If it's just a low spot where maybe a tree stump/root system is slowly rotting out, go ahead and add river sand and build it up. Or have the landlord do it or at least pay for it. Good luck!

Had similar issue when I bought my house not standing water ( could add dirt and grade for drainage ) my issue was grass growth

Trimming tree branches resolved the issue , I was able to make a dent with a pole saw , one of those electric chain saws on extended pole

But when I had a tree removed in front yard I included removal of some larger limbs pole saw couldn't handle

Took till the next season for greenery to grow wouldn't call it grass but following year it's all grass

The guy that removed the limbs cut them up into firewood lengths , I didn't use them as I have no fireplace etc but gave them to coworker who burned them in his fire pit at parties so they didn't have to haul the pieces away or even to street

Not sure how much it would cost you to have someone come out the man I hired was cutting limbs next door , maybe check with neighbors and see if they need trimming done which may give the hired company more work to justify rolling a truck without charging you as much

Also in my area city will take trees and limbs if you cut them yourself but not if you hire someone - not sure how they know but disposal is another expense that Adds to cost if you hire someone , as stated above I did the removal of the limbs myself after they were cut

And mosquitos

20'x20'
If the area is perpetually mucky it may be a low spot. so 1-2 yards of topsoil and some seed should do nicely. As others have said, I'd trim the trees back also.

If the area is perpetually mucky it may be a low spot. so 1-2 yards of topsoil and some seed should do nicely. As others have said, I'd trim the trees back also.

that was my first time in the backyard
i'd have to see if it was always mucky - we've had almost 2 solid weeks of rain
from memory the limbs are pretty high up and the tree might be in the neighbor's yard??

also this is an older NO house with a lot of "charm"
one of the charming things seems to be another tree that is almost completely blocking the side access - i haven't really walked it to see how difficult it is getting from front to back, but more than likely the 'solution' is something i'm carrying through the house (and i'm not even going to ask the wife about grass squares)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom