Here is a good way to explain BPA from a Pro BPA standpoint to those of you that have a need standpoint (1 Viewer)

Payton's said

and in a seperate interview ...

You quoted Payton and TOTALLY whiffed on what he said.

I do think you have to pay attention to what the value is how they are graded. That being said, usually you make sure you like 15 guys if you are picking at No. 15 or at least you have rated your board so you are prepared for each scenario. I think you have to be careful you don’t try to invent or create a position. In other words I think sometimes your mistakes are made in your value when you are saying you want a safety and you are trying to create a safety and you tend to grade a little higher so you can pick one. All of a sudden you have passed up on a good football player.

The bolded section was his point. He's basically saying, 'yeah, its great to fill needs and we take a close look at players that fill need, but we're not about to pass on the best value to to reach to fill a need.'

I think the Saints will take a defensive player because I think defensive players grade out higher in the 12-17 range. However, I wouldn't be surprised if we take an offensive player depending how the draft unfolds. If QBs slide and mostly defensive players come off the board in the top 14, I wouldn't be surprised one bit. People that say we just HAVE to go defensive because of last year's ranking are making one of the cardinal mistakes of the draft, falling in love with an idea. The best player represents the best value.

People that say we just HAVE to go defensive because of last year's ranking are making one of the cardinal mistakes of the draft, falling in love with an idea. The best player represents the best value.

I've been making this same point. I'm not saying we have to draft him if he is there(because we don't know who else will be on the board) but there are not 15 players in this draft better than Tavon Austin. I'm not even sure if there are 10.

I believe you go BPA within the areas of need. If the BPA is a QB, TE, RB then no I wouldn't go with them IF a player of need is ranked similar or very close. Choosing BPA has worked well with the Saints because they always have a plan B in case. It's not like they go in with a huge need and will reach for a player, any player just to fit a hole.

Yeah...I think they key is, when going BPA, it needs to be at a position which uses 2 or more players on the field at once. DL, CB, WR, etc.

He's 5'8 170!!!! We have him on our team already Darren sproles. Where would tavon Austin fit in our offense? We need defense

Sproles turns 30 this year and will have just one year left on his deal after this year. We aren't just drafting for the 2013 season. Colston and Moore aren't getting any younger either, not to mention the fact that they're both injury prone.

The only problem with BPA is that you could end up like the Lions taking 3 wr's in 4-5 years at the top of the draft. Yeah, they ended up with C.Johnson, but they also got stuck with a couple of duds. (though the one they traded to dallas for a couple 1st rounders worked out well in the end.)
Thats not a BPA problem thats a talent evaluation problem. No matter what strategy a team employs, BPA or need-based, the underlying element is the belief that the team's scouts are a good judge of talent. The team has to believe that there big board has correctly ranked the players 1-252 correctly.

BPA is subjective. A player that can help fill a deficency will always have a better grade than someone who doesn't. Say Player WR is graded at 88(example) and Player DE/LT is graded at 82 or so. Player DE/LT will be drafted because it's not that big of a difference and the team could use a DE/LT more. It's like a free 5-10 points.

IMHO, this is just not true.

Its gonna be pretty bad this year for our offense if we dont get a quality LT.. I know everyone jumps to guards and how our TEs RBs chip a lot.. but Kromer was a very good magic maker for an offensive line. I think it takes another step back this year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom