Here is My Concern with Sean Payton in a Post Drew Brees Era (1 Viewer)

Because of Sean's genius and creativity, I think he needs an elite quarterback to succeed. I see him getting bored with limiting his offense with someone like Teddy. Sure, he can focus for 5 games while he waits for his elite qb to come back. But living with that limited offense for a full season and then year after year? I don't see it. It is precisely because he is a mad scientist that he needs an elite qb to enjoy his job. I don't see Teddy or Taysom as providing enough stimulation to keep him interested. This is why I tend to believe Swimmer that he is interested in Burrow. Now, the ability to get him is an entirely different issue. I picture him as the smartest kid in the class whose grades will slip in remedial math because he is simply bored and needs stimulation.

On the contrary, I think he's shown that he's just getting started as far as his genius goes. When the challenges gets tougher, he seems to become an even better coach.
I completely agree. He did his best coaching while Teddy was at QB. It's not that he gets lazy, it's just that Drew is that good. So much that it's like having a coach in the huddle. Drew's only "problem" is that he can out-coach himself sometimes. But the mistakes are worth the genius. When Drew hangs up the cleats, we'll fully realize just how much he did - not that we don't now, but it will truly become crystal clear though at that time.

I think he might end up like Mike Shanahan in Denver once John Elway and Terrell Davis were no longer around. They had some good squads, but were never quite at the level of competing for Super Bowls when Elway and T.D. was on the roster. Any thoughts?
What do you have to base that on?

Let me please preface my comments with a sincere apology -- as I love Drew Brees and will legit shed a tear when he retires.

I think the retirement of Drew Brees would be a blessing to Sean Payton and this young, talented team.

This is a team and a staff that has relied too heavily on the talents of Drew. They need to understand and learn that they can't just play at half-speed and have Drew rescue them. Sean needs to coach like he did with Teddy -- relying on the run game to set-up the pass. The defense needs to play each possession like it's their last. Drew has made a lot of people very, very comfortable over the years.

I think Sean and this young team needs to be a little uncomfortable.

I think he proved this year he's ready. I don't want to continue the heir debate but the smooth trasition option is in the building.

I think he proved this year he's ready. I don't want to continue the heir debate but the smooth trasition option is in the building.
But he isn't in the building. He's a UFA and if gets an offer for $20M and Drew comes back we can't afford to pay him that.

But he isn't in the building. He's a UFA and if gets an offer for $20M and Drew comes back we can't afford to pay him that.

I seriously doubt anyone’s going to offer that kind of contract to a guy who’s put very limited pass attempts on film. If they did, and Payton is dead set on him being our next QB, I’d think we’d come up with a way to match. Loomis can always make it work, though it will require pushing tons of dead money into the future. I seriously doubt this scenario comes to be, though.

I seriously doubt anyone’s going to offer that kind of contract to a guy who’s put very limited pass attempts on film. If they did, and Payton is dead set on him being our next QB, I’d think we’d come up with a way to match. Loomis can always make it work, though it will require pushing tons of dead money into the future. I seriously doubt this scenario comes to be, though.

I think he was talking about Teddy, not Taysom

Teddy will probably get $15mm or more per year this offseason.

Yeah this “genius” will call playaction passes before even trying to establish the run. I mean why even sign a Latavius Murray?

He’s 1 of the better coaches no doubt but imo let’s dial this “genius” talk back a bit. Turnover margin, an outstanding supporting cast for Drew n str8 up luck got us a championship in 09’ more than anything else

He was not talking about Teddy. Payton made the comment in February 2018 and Teddy was traded for in late August 2018. The comment was about Taysom Hill the Saint, not Teddy Bridgewater the Viking.

He was not talking about Teddy. Payton made the comment in February 2018 and Teddy was traded for in late August 2018. The comment was about Taysom Hill the Saint, not Teddy Bridgewater the Viking.
LC was saying that I was talking about Teddy, not Taysom.

What @Loose Cannon said.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom