Here is where I had placed Drew Brees on my all-time QB list (Top Ten) (1 Viewer)

I don't think one can really compare across eras that are so alien to each other though - it would probably be easier to get a rough grouping of eras like (Manning, Brady, Brees, Rodgers) and (Marino, Montana, Young, Elway) and sort them. You can maybe try to shuffle them together if you like, later, but stuff changes so much.

If you guys dont mind the slightly tangential discussion of QB era stats, I once read an article a guy did where he tried to adjust QB stats for the era. I think I first cam across the article in 2012 and he updated it in 2019. If interested I find it worth the look...

2012 article:

I think he takes a little liberty calling players HoF locks and such, but still some interesting stuff.
If you guys dont mind the slightly tangential discussion of QB era stats, I once read an article a guy did where he tried to adjust QB stats for the era. I think I first cam across the article in 2012 and he updated it in 2019. If interested I find it worth the look...

2012 article:

I think he takes a little liberty calling players HoF locks and such, but still some interesting stuff.
There is some great articles on that blog. Reading through the methodology the author admits that INTs are somewhat overweighted. This results in Rodgers ranking so high and why Farve ranks below Chad Pennington, Jeff Garcia, Culpepper, and Rich Gannon.

I think pts/g should be measured in the modern era where audibles have been a factor. This stat probably helps Brady more than Brees.

Are you sure those points scored doesn't include defensive scores. I've seen career numbers of points scored between Brees and Brady's teams by the offense only and they were almost exactly the same. Saints dominated in yards though. Maybe Brady's team peaked more times, not sure.

Those stats are a bit more subjective which is why I separated them, but I do think it's fair to say he had to do less for his team. Just look at his team's defensive rankings compared to the others and it's clear.

I've also seen where Brees dominated in final drives to take the lead only to be lost by the defense. Those don't get counted above.
They are total points scored so yes they do include defensive scores. But Brady has lead 4 teams to 500 points and only the Rams I believe have 4 in thier history. I could be wrong but I doubt Patriots have an abnormal amount of defensive/ST TDs.

Originally you said Brady didn't have to do "much" for his team. I think that is way different then having to do "less" which may be true in the regular season but I think Brady still did more for any team ever. It's why he has 6 rings and Brees and Rodgers and many others have much less.

Additionally, Pats defenses have failed at the big moments many times which doesn't get as much play as it should IMO. Pats had the lead in thier first 5 SBs at the 2 minute warning with Brady and blew them all....Brady got the first 3 back and had only time for hail Marys in the last 2 vs Giants. He threw for over 500 yds 3 TDs and no Ints vs Eagles and lost an they had a 4th quarter lead there too. He's done more when the games are on the line than anyone ever and I don't think it's debatable.

This is how discussions of determining 'the greatest' should go. Thanks to Stalwart385 and NOFALCONS10 for his stats in some of the other threads. When it's all said and done, if Brady still has the performance to support the GOAT title, so be it. But at least some effort was put into the outcome.

"C'mon he has 6 rings" as support is weaker than weak.

I'm not the best at interpreting all the charts but I still appreciate that the info is presented, nonetheless. I knew going in that 'GOAT' was nowhere as cut and dried as a lot of posters try to make it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom