Here we go again, calling any kind of extreme cold a 'polar vortex' (1 Viewer)

tl;dr so basically "polar vortex" is just media sensationalism like "superstorm," right?

Jk thanks for the explanation

It's a technical term that sounds interesting and saves time.

Is it overblown for a doctor to refer to a zit as a blocked sebaceous duct?

Mainly because its stupid.

Daily hyperbole is the mark of an hysterical mind.

Words lose meaning when used improperly and language becomes ridiculous.

I agree. It's like every single political warning from the right about everything from Obamacare to climate change.

well, OP did have difficulty understanding how an on-campus Starbucks worked; it was some rogue franchise legally allowed to leech off of the students, given unfair free rent and the economic latitude to operate independently only for gain while having to give nothing back. Except that didn't work that way, either. More 'nothing to see here' really, in the end. Same song as before.

when everything is a conspiratorial cabal and all you have is a hammer...

I don't think I realized how much we missed you here. A literal lol at the cabal and hammer remark. :plus-un2:

I agree. It's like every single political warning from the right about everything from Obamacare to climate change.

I think we have ample proof that hysteria and overreaction are not limited by political belief

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polar vortex is just a term that describes a certain meteorological setup in when the jet stream lines up over Northern Alaska the dips down through Canada into the midwest.

When that same jet stream is over Hawaii and heads straight into Washington it's called the pineapple express. Brings heavy rain into the Pacific NW.

Just like we have nor'easters, clipper systems, artic fronts, etc. It's just a meteorological term that describes a large scale scenario in one or two words which also brings a set of conditions with it.

Saying polar vortex is so much easier than saying the jet stream is setting up north of Alaska, dropping down over western Canada into the midwest of the US bringing extreme cold conditions down to the US and likely to lead to heavy synoptic snow as well as large amounts of lake effect snow.

As for cold fronts, you have many different types of Cold fronts. You have longwave and shortwave fronts. The ones we see most in the south are Pacific fronts which tend to bring severe weather in the spring and fall. You have artic fronts which drop straight down from the north bringing cold air. We even see backdoor fronts some in the late spring and early fall. Then you have synoptic longwave fronts usually from a very strong low pressure systems ejecting over the great lakes. Stationary fronts usually from positive tilt low pressure systems that quickly eject northward removing the energy needed to keep it moving away to the north. See a lot of these in the South in late spring. It's why so much flooding tends to happen in May.

So nothing new, Polar vortex has a label just like every other system.

Now naming winter storms....

hqdefault.jpg

Polar vortex is just a term that describes a certain meteorological setup in when the jet stream lines up over Northern Alaska the dips down through Canada into the midwest.

When that same jet stream is over Hawaii and heads straight into Washington it's called the pineapple express. Brings heavy rain into the Pacific NW.

Just like we have nor'easters, clipper systems, artic fronts, etc. It's just a meteorological term that describes a large scale scenario in one or two words which also brings a set of conditions with it.

Saying polar vortex is so much easier than saying the jet stream is setting up north of Alaska, dropping down over western Canada into the midwest of the US bringing extreme cold conditions down to the US and likely to lead to heavy synoptic snow as well as large amounts of lake effect snow.

As for cold fronts, you have many different types of Cold fronts. You have longwave and shortwave fronts. The ones we see most in the south are Pacific fronts which tend to bring severe weather in the spring and fall. You have artic fronts which drop straight down from the north bringing cold air. We even see backdoor fronts some in the late spring and early fall. Then you have synoptic longwave fronts usually from a very strong low pressure systems ejecting over the great lakes. Stationary fronts usually from positive tilt low pressure systems that quickly eject northward removing the energy needed to keep it moving away to the north. See a lot of these in the South in late spring. It's why so much flooding tends to happen in May.

So nothing new, Polar vortex has a label just like every other system.

Now naming winter storms....

And now you know ...

And knowing is half the battle!

Roads closed, pipes frozen, albinos...virtually invisible. The Weather Service has upgraded Springfield's blizzard from "Winter Wonderland" to a "Class 3 Kill-Storm"!

All I know is the 4 degrees I woke up to Saturday morning was brutal.

When I was growing up we were allowed to call it Christmas season. Sad.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom