Here we go again - Video shows white police officer killing a black man in Minnesota by suffocation as the man pleads "I can't breathe" (1 Viewer)

Close to the same thing is happening in downtown LA as we speak. And this goes far beyond the level of a Rodney King incident as far as I’m concerned. I believe Mr. King is still alive and breathing

No, he's dead.

I probably should have added to my earlier post:

When white people demonstrate insensitivity and callousness about clear matters of racial injustice, we are expected to be better and try and understand what the white person really feels.

When black people respond out of order to matters of injustice, they are expected to be better if they want us to understand what they really feel.

When white cops murder a black man, cuffed and in cold blood, we need to first be sure the black man didn’t do anything conceivable of deserving such retribution.

When a black person responds to someone in their community murdered by white police, cuffed and in cold blood, they need to make sure they don’t do anything conceivable of inviting suppression or retribution.

I think I may not have been clear.

I don't in anyway feel this was justified. I'm only referring to the claim that this video shows he didn't resist. We don't see why he was brought to the ground. That may have been necessary.

It in no way excuses an ambivalent group of officers ignoring the life and rights of a human being. Putting him on the ground might have been needed, but there was no need for the knee once he was there.

Or even needed for a few seconds to get him secured then move the knee to the shoulder or arm. There's no good reason for that knee needs to stay there as long as it did.

I suspect they haven't been arrested because the district attorney hasn't decided what the charges will be. I think it should be murder, but I don’t know whether a jury will convict because there may be more to the story.

That said, the fact that they haven't been arrested yet makes clear how cops are held to a different standard when they do something anyone else would get immediately arrested for. The 3 cops should have pulled the murderer off and arrested him on the spot. They would have done 2 things. One, saved this guy's life, and two, show that cops can police themselves. Since they didn't, here we are.

You want to be mad at someone.. fine.

But I was just explaining what Semper had meant. It wasn't my opinion, it was my take on his opinion.

I have my own opinion about this,which I shared, but you decided to be upset at my explanation of another posters opinion.
It was a stupid take and your interpretation was , at my most charitable , condescending .

"I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity."

50 years on and it remains as true today as ever

The University of Minnesota is a pretty significant player in the research on corrections and law enforcement. We worked with them on an initiative on youth incarceration and police involvement.

Their role in changing practices and attitudes has been impressive.

the symbolic break from the police is more than just security at a football game.

this sends a strong signal to the research field too.

It goes from manslaughter to Murder when the people plea when they say he isn’t responding. Check his pulse. He didn’t protect and serve. He failed that man. That cop is a total loser and so is his idiot partner. How can you not turn around and see a man struggling. The guy is handcuffed. Where is he going to go? Behind the wheel of a car where he can’t drive. Did they think they arrested Houdini. To me this isn’t a race thing. It’s a total moron cop which probably makes up most of departments

It goes from manslaughter to Murder when the people plea when they say he isn’t responding. Check his pulse. He didn’t protect and serve. He failed that man. That cop is a total loser and so is his idiot partner. How can you not turn around and see a man struggling. The guy is handcuffed. Where is he going to go? Behind the wheel of a car where he can’t drive. Did they think they arrested Houdini. To me this isn’t a race thing. It’s a total moron cop which probably makes up most of departments
Except it is also a race thing, and downplaying that does a disservice to the collective injustice of this.

I don’t really agree with that. Are you asserting the cop did that because the man is black? I think he did that because he is an idiot.
I would assert that while he may not have intentionally set out to kill a black man that day, the odds are that a white suspect would still be alive today and we wouldn’t even have heard about the situation because it would have been handled entirely differently.

This is the part that enrages me.

The offending cop clearly has a problem. But what about the others? I mean, the guy passes out, and is out cold for a couple minutes, by the looks of it. When he passes out, none of them can look and say "hey, he's passed out, let's put him in the car". or "he's passed out, you can get off his neck now."

What should a citizen do in that case? I can sort of see, he's squirming a bit, find, hold him down. but when he PASSES OUT, why are they still cutting off his oxygen? Seems like that only can lead to death, or at best, brain damage. What does a citizen do? Call the state police? Call their department? Call the DA's office?
IT DOESN'T ******* MATTER WHAT LED UP TO IT. I DON'T CARE IF HE CAME AT THEM SCREAMING, WAVING A SAMURAI SWORD AND NUNCHUKS, AND WEARING A FLAMING HOLOCAUST CLOAK. HE WAS CUFFED AND ON THE GROUND AND BEGGING FOR AIR FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES, AND THEN DIED FROM SUFFOCATION.

JFCIAGCB.

I agree, but more information is more information. I was simply pointing out what that view was missing. I am absolutely not offering any defense of their actions.

Whatever lead to the officer putting his knee on his neck, at the least, the second he passed out, he should have let up and ensured he was breathing, then put him in the car, if they were making an arrest.

to just sit there, and continue choking out the guy minutes after he passed out is inexcusable.

Everything else that leads up to that moment (with some parts missing) do NOT show any reason for any level of physical confrontation. And even if they did, it does NOT excuse the end result.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom