Here we go again - Video shows white police officer killing a black man in Minnesota by suffocation as the man pleads "I can't breathe" (1 Viewer)

Whenever something like this happens, the cop who did the killing is the "bad cop." The ones who watched and didn't intervene, seemingly are grouped in with the "good cops" who don't say anything when the bad cops act out.

We assume the act of NOT using excessive force/killing someone makes them a good cop. But what if there are only a few good cops, the way some assume there are only a few bad apples?

What if the police force mimics society in that the majority of people are just observers. Just... there. Existing. Not really doing anything in particular to assert themselves as good or bad. Not killing a patient doesn't automatically make you a good doctor. Not getting into a wreck doesn't make you a good driver. Not cheating on your spouse doesn't make you a good husband or wife.

When most recordable events occur, people are most likely standing there watching (or have walked away). If it's a fight or something like that, we don't assume the fighters are the bad guys while simultaneously classifying the onlookers as the good guys, do we?

So why do we assume the cops who watch or have knowledge of these types of events are the (silent) GOOD cops? And I know a lot of people believe the cops who don't say anything are just as complicit as the cops who committed the crimes, but I don't know why we tend to think they're silent AND good-ish.

It could just be semantics on my part, but I think a lot of frustrations arise from us assuming there are enough officers who don't condone this type of behavior and they just aren't speaking up. I think we're wrong in that assumption. As backwards as it sounds, I think we give the "good" cops too much credit.

Absolutely no excuse to be setting businesses on fire and looting them causing more suffering already incurred by covid-19. Those people had nothing to do with it and now they're gonna be out of a job.

Yes George Floyd deserves justice, yes its inexcusable what happened. But dont ruin the community by setting stuff on fire and harming innocent people that had nothing to do with it. The rioters took out a Target, thats one of the most important businesses in any community right now.

I feel like it's incumbent upon all citizens of all colors to start using the technology that we have available to us to police the police. If you see a traffic stop and don't have some place to be, pull over, maintain your distance and start videoing the incident and utilizing the zoom capabilities of your phone's camera. It doesn't matter whether it's a speeding ticket or not. Police and the people who decide to take the job of being part of the police department need to know that their interactions with the public will be caught on camera.

The police cannot be allowed to continue to lie to cover for their fellow partners in blue. They have demonstrated that they are not to be trusted. They have demonstrated that they will say and do whatever it takes, including breaking the laws they are sworn to uphold, to cover for their partners in blue. They continue to demonstrate that "good cops" are too afraid of what the bad cops will say or do if they speak up. They continue to demonstrate that they will find ways to excuse the actions of the ones who give the others a bad name. They continue to demonstrate that the constitution and the rights guaranteed in them are nothing more than something you learn in high school.

Policing is local. Local people can change your local police department. Voting matters. If politicians won't do what you want them to on a local level then vote them out until you get someone who will do it.
Well said. I was just reading up on the beating of Kelly Thomas by police, officers were found not guilty, sickening. Though Thomas was a homeless man.

The University of Minnesota has severed ties with the Minneapolis PD for large events

Good. The fact that the cop still hasn't been arrested yet is terrible. I think any local organization with ties to the department should sever ties with the department until they overhaul the police force.

Seeing the video of other cops standing there doing nothing makes me livid.

I’ve got some good friends who are police officers and I know they wouldn’t do something like this. All 4 of these cops should be in prison for a long time. I’m sure the real justice will come after they are locked up. I can’t see how former cops who killed a man over a non violent crime like this will fare well with the inmates. I’d bet they get their first arse beating within a hour of being locked up.

One other thing. Today was the first time I saw the video and it makes me really mad after the day I had. I was at the gas station today and I saw the guy on the pump opposite of mine. He looked to be in his early 70’s with a Vietnam veteran hat on. I always go out of my way to thank veterans for their service. I was amazed by this man and we had a great conversation and after hearing his story I told him he was a true hero. Then we laughed because here we are in what the rest of the country thinks is the capital of racism small town Mississippi. Me a middle age white guy and this older black guy with me telling him he’s a hero is not what the rest of the country thinks happens here. I left that gas station wishing that everyone could get along like me and this guy did. We had different skin pigmentation but both of our hearts were in the right place. Then I end my day with this and I wonder if we will ever see each other as equals and all the same in God’s eyes.

IT DOESN'T ******* MATTER WHAT LED UP TO IT. I DON'T CARE IF HE CAME AT THEM SCREAMING, WAVING A SAMURAI SWORD AND NUNCHUKS, AND WEARING A FLAMING HOLOCAUST CLOAK. HE WAS CUFFED AND ON THE GROUND AND BEGGING FOR AIR FOR ABOUT 10 MINUTES, AND THEN DIED FROM SUFFOCATION.

JFCIAGCB.
While the cop teased him.

Blacks feel they have to riot in order to bring attention to their plight, otherwise they are marginalized as they have been for 350 years.

There is something truly vile, smug, spiteful, and intentionally evil about your knee on someone's throat while keeping your hands nonchalantly in your pocket(s). This case needs to set an example and the disgraced cop with his knee on his throat, if found guilty, should receive the death penalty (IMHO).

I don’t really agree with that. Are you asserting the cop did that because the man is black? I think he did that because he is an idiot.

Sorry man, but if this is truly how you feel then you’re coming off as being completely obtuse, and you're unintentionally making yourself a part of the problem.

We have a very clear video that shows, without any room for doubt, that a man was murdered with premeditation and intent in the middle of the day with multiple witnesses.

This man, the murderer, more than 48 hours later, has not been charged or arrested.

Burn the forking place to the ground. I'm with the protesters.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom