Here we go again - Video shows white police officer killing a black man in Minnesota by suffocation as the man pleads "I can't breathe" (1 Viewer)

So now another person has died over this. I dont know the race of either person, but on the radio they said a guy broke into and was looting a pawn store. The owner killed him. So many lives ruined.

I just dont get why the cop has not been arrested. Why wont the DA even address this situation? Would the rioting stop if the DA said charges were coming and the officer was arrested?

This is hard. I have been told many times on this thread I will never understand what it's like to be a black man, and I agree. I ask questions and I am a racist. How do I ask questions and try to understand? Again I dont agree with destroying businesses and peoples lives. I will admit I dont understand the frustration as much as I want to, the only way would be to be a black man.

we need more empathy

And white people need to learn when the shut the **** up and listen. Really listen.

It’s sad watching all of self righteous social media wypipo obsess over the “rioting” Because it allows them to ignore the racist implications of the discussion of the murder of a black man by the state
my wife gets invited to sit on diversity panels quite often, and she's professional when she does it
but she comes home upset and her predominate expression, "it's not my job to teach to to not be racist"
- it's white people who need to do the work

this Baldwin quote has been kicking around the last day or so
What is it that you wanted me to reconcile myself to. I was born here more than 60 years ago. I'm not going to live another 60 years. You always told me that it's going to take time.

It’s taken my father’s time, my mother’s time, my uncle’s time, my brothers’ and my sisters’ time, my nieces and my nephew's time. How much time do you want for your progress?

we are well passed time for white people to do the right thing

So now another person has died over this. I dont know the race of either person, but on the radio they said a guy broke into and was looting a pawn store. The owner killed him. So many lives ruined.

I just dont get why the cop has not been arrested. Why wont the DA even address this situation? Would the rioting stop if the DA said charges were coming and the officer was arrested?

This is hard. I have been told many times on this thread I will never understand what it's like to be a black man, and I agree. I ask questions and I am a racist. How do I ask questions and try to understand? Again I dont agree with destroying businesses and peoples lives. I will admit I dont understand the frustration as much as I want to, the only way would be to be a black man.
i can feel some pity for the store owner to understand if the looter was armed. that shouldn't be a thing of colour, but a threat.

otherwise, subdued with a gun should be enough. granted every situation is different. that is a situation which requires a lot more information to determine right or wrong.

just saying, much different than a cop not listening to pedestrians, worse the man screaming he can't breathe.

i'll be interested to see how this plays out.

After yesterday's rioting I said to my fiance that I bet we'll see him arrested today... And appallingly we still haven't. It makes no sense except that he's a cop.

bc you're treating the riot like it's a rational decision - like a bunch of people gathered at starbucks and decided to riot
like it's step 1 on the agenda
it's not
it's not a first step, it's a last resort
i guarantee that everything you could offer - 'hey, instead of rioting, why don't you try...?' - has been tried 100s of times with little to show for it

instead of being upset about the riots
you should be upset about all the horrific injustice that led to the riots

I appreciate the advice. And I definitely think I could learn more. Which is why when these threads go in the right direction it’s a wonderful thing.

Watch this. If you can feel his desperation and pain, you can start to understand how all of this has grown in to a power keg and blown up. The one thing I keep hearing over and and over again from black people is, "I'm so tired!".

bc you're treating the riot like it's a rational decision - like a bunch of people gathered at starbucks and decided to riot
it's not
i guarantee that everything you could offer - 'hey, instead of rioting, why don't you try...?' - has been tried 100s of times with little to show for it

I'm pretty sure he's more than upset about the injustice. He's stated as much. There's room to ask questions about the rioting. The injustice can still be the central issue while asking questions.

Instead of black parents having “” the talk” with their children why is it that white parents can’t have that same talk with their children to not be such a racist butt crevasses

I don't know about other families, but being that I'm in a mixed race family (me white and wife Asian), we've had race discussions many times over the years. I guess it varies from family to family.

it's not

We can be upset about both.

I get it, your young, a little arrogant and cocky. One day you’ll be able to look at things from 20 thousand feet and see the big picture and not pick and choose sentences and phrases and take them out of context. You’ll be ok, just keep trying to be better.

Pretty sure I'm older than you by quite a bit.

Here's the point. If you are truly making an effort to learn, then good for you, and I'll let other posters who have the time, perspective, and patience that I don't possess try to work with you. But the fact of the matter is that I don't think you are being genuine. I think you made some borderline racist posts and are trying to backpedal with this "I'm just trying to learn!" thing after you got called on them. If I'm wrong, then accept my apologies. I don't think I am; I have a really good instinct for people. But if I am, like I said, my bad.

The problem is that someone who is saying things like "HOW DO I EXPLAIN TO MY KIDS THAT THE LITTLE BLACK KIDS ARE STEALING TVS AND PLAYSTATIONS ON THE NEWS!?!!?" is so very very far away from even beginning to understand the real core of the issue that it's just not worth trying on a message board. If you truly had love in your heart, you would already know how to explain that to your kids and you wouldn't be on a message board playing dumb.

Beyond that, the quote I referenced above, amongst tons of others in your posts that I'm not going to go back and address, is an intellectually dishonest statement that reveals your true motives:
1) All different races were looting and breaking stuff
2) Why are they "kids"? They looked like grown arse men and women to me. Do you call white adults "kids" too?

I think you're probably a racist or at the very least were taught some very racist habits. You might be trying and that's fine, but you need to start by learning how to speak respectfully of others. If someone else wants to try to work with you, then kudos to them.

Last edited:
it's not

For me personally, I view the riots as an extension of the injustice. It's essentially a symptom and outcome of the lack of empathy and being unheard. I can understand why people think the rioting gets in the way of the injustice, but i think it highlights it. I hope that on the other side of this that more people not just acknowledge the cries, but actively change behavior. Whether that actually happens is anyone's guess though.

We can be upset about both.

but we can't do so responsibly

we just can't - and we've shown it over and over again.

Sure, be angry and indignant over the rioting. But it just becomes about the rioting. We forget about the death. We ignore the context around the rioting. We dismiss the history of institutionalized racism. We end up reinforcing ideas around what a black person is like. We reduce blacks to types when we should be doing the opposite.

I think there should be a separate thread on the rioting, personally. Because this thread ends up becoming - at best - a 'both sides' discussion where we get mad at rioting and we get mad at a cop murdering someone.

We can't handle scale. We can't handle degree. We can't discuss relativity.

I'm telling you - right now - there are a *LOT* of people all over the country who are glad, whether they know it or not, that these riots are happening because it gives cover for their racist attitudes. They don't have to talk about police brutality. They don't have to talk about Colin Kaepernick. They don't have to talk about how the system oppresses black and brown people. They don't have to talk about white privilege.

They can retreat behind half-arse sentiments of "well, what a shame, but...." which only serves to reify the dangerous and un-empathetic ideas and predispositions they have - the causative callousness which contributes to this very dilemma.

Instead of there being this referendum on police brutality, we do what we *ALWAYS* do - find something ELSE to talk about. He had a gun, maybe. He was high. He was arrested years ago. He was skipping school. He used to deal drugs. He wrote a bad check. They don't care about black on black violence. They don't really care about their neighborhoods. They just want to steal. Their communities is home to criminals.

And so on.

It's totally counter productive.

At this point, talking about both in the same thread only does the same thing here. I get that the riots are tied to the event, but they are - for very important reasons, central reasons - unrelated to the thread.

I wish there was another thread for people to get their indignation out over the riots so that we didn't have to waste time here, with all the handwringing over riots while the root disease festers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom