Here we go again - Video shows white police officer killing a black man in Minnesota by suffocation as the man pleads "I can't breathe" (3 Viewers)

Whew! Y'all got me really emotional in my office right now. I had to step away for a few to let some of it out. Y'all really don't know how hard it is to be black in this country sometimes. I don't mean that in an accusatory, negative way either. I really have to check myself and remind myself, and tap into my empathy, that y'all don't know and remember how hard it can be to be on that side. Trying to understand something that is as foreign to you as can be. I get it. I really do. And, yet, I promise you, this side is so much harder. I'm just tired. I'm tired of worrying. I'm tired of being afraid. I'm tired of arguing with my love about whether we should bring kids into this world, because we're black and the implications of that. I'm tired of feeling like I'm not enough. Like I don’t matter. Like it's my fault. My shame. My burden. Because of my skin. I couldn't control that. Why me? Why do I have to carry this extra burden in life? It gets very hard at times.

The day after this happened, one of my best friends sent me a text. He's black, but he is so light skinned, has light colored eyes that he passes for white. His nickname is "whiteboy." Anyway, he asked me, "Do you fear for your life?" Whewwwwww. Even now its hard to type. I said, "Honestly? Yes." He broke down. So did I. He said how he never thought about asking me that before and that he really wasn't prepared for my answer. Because he passes, it's a burden in life he doesn't share.

I've been so fortunate, so blessed in life. And then I see a man killed like that. Like Ahmaud. And all you can really do is hope and pray your number never gets called. If it does, that I face it with dignity and courage. That I'm someone my community will mourn with pride. But it isn't fair. I understand that and I accept it. Those are the rules and I have to comply. But, for a day, I wish i could live like it doesn’t matter.

I don't have all the answers Krod. It's not your burden to change this world, this society on your own. But I do want to thank you and @Semper for one thing and maybe we start here. You participated in the convo, you took the criticism, took the jabs, took the harshness but yall stayed. That means something.

I remember the Star Trek TNG episode where Q introduces them to the Borg. At the end, after Picard asks for help, and Q acknowledges how humbling that was for him to do, Picard quips back, "I understand what you've done here, Q, but I think the lesson could have been learned without the loss of 18 members of my crew."

Like a G, Q hits back, "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."

Meaning, these conversations are hard. And if you aren't willing to take some harsh words, be challenged, get your nose bloodied, then maybe you shouldn't participate. But, if you're willing, if you're willing, the conversation can be as valuable as treasure, if you are strong enough to take somd lumps and stick around.

For that I commend y’all. We just need to be heard and feel like we matter. Start small. In your circle. In your community. But it can't be just superficial, surface stuff. You see someone being mistreated, use your privilege to intervene. Speak up. Be heard. Or just be more empathetic. That's a great place to start.
I think exposure to children early on of all kinds of races is critical to this. I enjoyed reading your post, thank you.

Whew! Y'all got me really emotional in my office right now. I had to step away for a few to let some of it out. Y'all really don't know how hard it is to be black in this country sometimes. I don't mean that in an accusatory, negative way either. I really have to check myself and remind myself, and tap into my empathy, that y'all don't know and remember how hard it can be to be on that side. Trying to understand something that is as foreign to you as can be. I get it. I really do. And, yet, I promise you, this side is so much harder. I'm just tired. I'm tired of worrying. I'm tired of being afraid. I'm tired of arguing with my love about whether we should bring kids into this world, because we're black and the implications of that. I'm tired of feeling like I'm not enough. Like I don’t matter. Like it's my fault. My shame. My burden. Because of my skin. I couldn't control that. Why me? Why do I have to carry this extra burden in life? It gets very hard at times.

The day after this happened, one of my best friends sent me a text. He's black, but he is so light skinned, has light colored eyes that he passes for white. His nickname is "whiteboy." Anyway, he asked me, "Do you fear for your life?" Whewwwwww. Even now its hard to type. I said, "Honestly? Yes." He broke down. So did I. He said how he never thought about asking me that before and that he really wasn't prepared for my answer. Because he passes, it's a burden in life he doesn't share.

I've been so fortunate, so blessed in life. And then I see a man killed like that. Like Ahmaud. And all you can really do is hope and pray your number never gets called. If it does, that I face it with dignity and courage. That I'm someone my community will mourn with pride. But it isn't fair. I understand that and I accept it. Those are the rules and I have to comply. But, for a day, I wish i could live like it doesn’t matter.

I don't have all the answers Krod. It's not your burden to change this world, this society on your own. But I do want to thank you and @Semper for one thing and maybe we start here. You participated in the convo, you took the criticism, took the jabs, took the harshness but yall stayed. That means something.

I remember the Star Trek TNG episode where Q introduces them to the Borg. At the end, after Picard asks for help, and Q acknowledges how humbling that was for him to do, Picard quips back, "I understand what you've done here, Q, but I think the lesson could have been learned without the loss of 18 members of my crew."

Like a G, Q hits back, "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."

Meaning, these conversations are hard. And if you aren't willing to take some harsh words, be challenged, get your nose bloodied, then maybe you shouldn't participate. But, if you're willing, if you're willing, the conversation can be as valuable as treasure, if you are strong enough to take somd lumps and stick around.

For that I commend y’all. We just need to be heard and feel like we matter. Start small. In your circle. In your community. But it can't be just superficial, surface stuff. You see someone being mistreated, use your privilege to intervene. Speak up. Be heard. Or just be more empathetic. That's a great place to start.

Please go and have kids. I have 4, and they've literally changed my life, challenged me and made me a better person. And really, we need more people like you! I have no doubt you'll be an excellent dad and will teach your kids well.

Thank you for being willing to share your perspective, for opening my eyes to a small bit of your world, and for challenging our preconceived notions. I feel like I'm better for it. Keep fighting the good fight and know that I wish you all the best.

Sounds like a cool life my man....I appreciate your consideration of the scrip flip, but I wasn't thinking of another white country...I did get a chuckle out of it though....

When were you in the Navy? I was in USMC from 98 to 2006.

Can you name a predominantly non-white country that was built on the institution of white chattel slavery? Because that's really the only way to adequately flip the script.

It's not your burden to change this world, this society on your own. But I do want to thank you and @Semper for one thing and maybe we start here.

I'm pretty big on Jiddu Krishnamurti's writings. If I've thought this through correctly, I'd believe that you are wrong that it isn't ones burden to change the world.

In fact, it's everyone's responsibility to change the world.

The problem is that everyone thinks it is some overwhelming and impossibly hard task because they try to change others. This is not the way. The way is as simple as changing yourself and letting that be the example to the world. I'm not there yet, but everyday I strive to be a bit different. A bit more compassionate. A bit more forgiving. A bit more contemplative. I try to be the change the world needs and let my actions manifest. Beyond that, I'm powerless. In accepting my powerlessness I have reached peace internally as a flawed but purposeful human who knows not the path others have had, but can accept them nonetheless.

I am confused then what are we talking about....I think the same thing for the most part.

Anyone that is seeing press conference, any info would be appreciated.

I watched most of it. It was a lot of condolences and followed by we're following the evidence and need everyone who witnessed...blah blah blah.

I am dumbfounded that not a single reporter asked why the murderer hasn't been apprehended yet. I'm more baffled now than I was prior to the press conference.

Why hasn't this idiot been charged/arrested? What the heck is even going on? Ugh.

Last edited:
Can you name a predominantly non-white country that was built on the institution of white chattel slavery? Because that's really the only way to adequately flip the script.
Many empires have been built on slavery Involving non-whites not sure why you equate slavery as just a white thing. Without going into the history books here, I am just talking current irrespective of history. For example, I have been reading that Blacks in China aren’t doing so well. With that said, I see where you are coming from somewhat. Perhaps a white person would have issues in a Muslim dominated country if one was raised there..... I am just looking at all angles here.

Sounds like a cool life my man....I appreciate your consideration of the scrip flip, but I wasn't thinking of another white country...I did get a chuckle out of it though....

When were you in the Navy? I was in USMC from 98 to 2006.
1977 through 1981, put my four years in and got the hell out. We were out at sea when the Iranian students took over the embassy and all of a sudden we were mentally brainwashed to think that the Iranian people with the Spohn of Satan only to come out of the Navy and meet wonderful Persian people with incredible history. Lucky enough to have dated a young Persian lady for eight years but unfortunately we were not compatible enough to become husband and wife. However I was lucky enough to find the perfect woman.

Many empires have been built on slavery Involving non-whites not sure why you equate slavery as just a white thing. Without going into the history books here, I am just talking current irrespective of history. For example, I have been reading that Blacks in China aren’t doing so well. With that said, I see where you are coming from somewhat. Perhaps a white person would have issues in a Muslim dominated country if one was raised there..... I am just looking at all angles here.

Muslim isn't a race, it's a religion. A white Muslim in Saudi Arabia does just fine.

Again, point to the current country that is predominantly non-white and was built on a system of taking white people from their homes by force in a system of chattel slavery that proceeded to legalize discrimination of those white people after slavery was ended. We're trying to achieve an apples-to-apples comparison here, are we not?

I think exposure to children early on of all kinds of races is critical to this. I enjoyed reading your post, thank you.

I think this is an important thing to point out. Most white people who claim they aren't racist and say that they are teaching their children not to grow up that way, really don't ever expose their children (or themselves for that matter) to people of other races. It's really easy to sit there in your middle (or upper) class; mostly white communities (or hell, even trailer parks) and preach to your kids to "love everyone" but that's really just the baseline minimum effort.

How are you showing your kids how to interact with people who do not look like them, may not talk like them, may not be as privileged as them? Most white people don't have friends of other races except for a token black or Hispanic friend here or there.

Tons of white kids bump and sing along to rap music in their cars their parents bought for them, full of their other white friends - because you know their parents taught them "not to be racist and rap music is cool" but I guarantee you most of those kids would still be scared and uncomfortable if they were dropped off in the middle of the hood. Their parents would still be calling the police if they saw some random black guy walking through their white neighborhood because he "looked suspicious".

So I think many whites who say they aren't racist are probably not your stereotypical racists but they are still most likely very prejudiced and need to better understand how the two go hand in hand.

Black people and brown immigrants have been forced to integrate into white societies for decades. White people, for the most part; make very little effort to immerse themselves into non-white cultures (apart from colonization and what not but that's for another thread).

Last edited:
I am dumbfounded that not a single reported asked why the murderer hasn't been apprehended yet. I'm more baffled now than I was prior to the press conference.

Why hasn't this idiot been charged/arrested? What the heck is even going on? Ugh.
She did say that being a police officer allows them to use force while making an arrest. They are trying to ensure that they get it right "IF" excessive use of force was employed.

I mean .... can it be that difficult????

I'm pretty big on Jiddu Krishnamurti's writings. If I've thought this through correctly, I'd believe that you are wrong that it isn't ones burden to change the world.

In fact, it's everyone's responsibility to change the world.

The problem is that everyone thinks it is some overwhelming and impossibly hard task because they try to change others. This is not the way. The way is as simple as changing yourself and letting that be the example to the world. I'm not there yet, but everyday I strive to be a bit different. A bit more compassionate. A bit more forgiving. A bit more contemplative. I try to be the change the world needs and let my actions manifest. Beyond that, I'm powerless. In accepting my powerlessness I have reached peace internally as a flawed but purposeful human who knows not the path others have had, but can accept them nonetheless.
This is exactly my mindset and how I live my life, and I hope to change the people that I me now and in the future so that little by little this world can improve.

1977 through 1981, put my four years in and got the hell out. We were out at sea when the Iranian students took over the embassy and all of a sudden we were mentally brainwashed to think that the Iranian people with the Spohn of Satan only to come out of the Navy and meet wonderful Persian people with incredible history. Lucky enough to have dated a young Persian lady for eight years but unfortunately we were not compatible enough to become husband and wife. However I was lucky enough to find the perfect woman.
Good to hear my man...thanks for the view into your life...Persian woman are beautiful, you lucky dog! All that brainwashing is the war machine....good to hear that you didn't fall for it.

Muslim isn't a race, it's a religion. A white Muslim in Saudi Arabia does just fine.

Again, point to the current country that is predominantly non-white and was built on a system of taking white people from their homes by force in a system of chattel slavery that proceeded to legalize discrimination of those white people after slavery was ended. We're trying to achieve an apples-to-apples comparison here, are we not?
I can't think of one, but of course the US was also built on the backs of what basically amounted to enslaved Irish and Japanese (when they were in camps during WWII) people to build the railroads. I know it pales in comparison to the slavery imported from Africa, but as Americans, we seem to have tried to oppress anyone possible who isn't a white person who's bleeding red, white and blue. Can't think of a single non-white country that has the nasty history of oppression that we do, except for all the Western European countries that oppressed Africa for so long and still do in some ways today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom