Here we go again - Video shows white police officer killing a black man in Minnesota by suffocation as the man pleads "I can't breathe" (1 Viewer)

Good to hear my man...thanks for the view into your life...Persian woman are beautiful, you lucky dog! All that brainwashing is the war machine....good to hear that you didn't fall for it.
Common sense is an incredible tool to have. It opened up my eyes to how this world really works. PS have you tried Persian food? Man is it good

I think this is an important thing to point out. Most white people who claim they aren't racist and say that they are teaching their children not to grow up that way, really don't ever expose their children (or themselves for that matter) to people of other races. It's really easy to sit there in your middle (or upper) class; mostly white communities (or hell, even trailer parks) and preach to your kids to "love everyone" but that's really just the baseline minimum effort.

How are you showing your kids how to interact with people who do not look like them, may not talk like them, may not be as privileged as them? Most white people don't have friends of other races except for a token black or Hispanic friend here or there.

Tons of white kids bump and sing along to rap music in their cars their parents bought for them, full of their other white friends - because you know their parents taught them "not to be racist and rap music is cool" but I guarantee you most of those kids would still be scared and uncomfortable if they were dropped off in the middle of the hood. Their parents would still be calling the police if they saw some random black guy walking through their white neighborhood because he "looked suspicious".

So while I think many whites who say they aren't racist are probably not your stereotypical racists but they are still most likely very prejudiced and need to better understand how the two go hand in hand.

Black people and brown immigrants have been forced to integrate into white societies for decades. White people, for the most part; make very little effort to immerse themselves into non-white cultures (apart from colonization and what not but that's for another thread).

One of the best decisions I've ever made is to move from Louisiana to Los Angeles. My church parish in L.A. was predominantly Philipino, followed by Latinx, and then a smattering of other ethnicities while pastored by a priest from Italy. It was glorious. Living in a place with so many different people really gave me an appreciation for different cultures. Moving back to Louisiana was a bit of a culture shock, quite honestly, that I've not gotten over.

I can't think of one, but of course the US was also built on the backs of what basically amounted to enslaved Irish and Japanese (when they were in camps during WWII) people to build the railroads. I know it pales in comparison to the slavery imported from Africa, but as Americans, we seem to have tried to oppress anyone possible who isn't a white person who's bleeding red, white and blue. Can't think of a single non-white country that has the nasty history of oppression that we do, except for all the Western European countries that oppressed Africa for so long and still do in some ways today.

Indeed. You don't need to look much farther than the way the USA has treated the Native American population.

I watched most of it. It was a lot of condolences and followed by we're following the evidence and need everyone who witnessed...blah blah blah.

I am dumbfounded that not a single reported asked why the murderer hasn't been apprehended yet. I'm more baffled now than I was prior to the press conference.

Why hasn't this idiot been charged/arrested? What the heck is even going on? Ugh.
It's astonishing that we are faced with two balancing acts simultaneously.

Law enforcement wants to be sure that they can prosecute their case successfully. For one thing, they risk a mistrial or a reversal on appeal if they mess up. That would be horrendous but has to be balanced by the justifiable outcry for arresting the killers quickly.

This happens with the backdrop of a pandemic where we have to weigh a serious risk of losing human lives to the virus against economic turmoil, or so it seems. Neither alternative is appealing.

With the frighteningly high level of political politicization in our country right now, it's going to be very difficult to find a middle ground for either of these situations. Can Americans work together to find solutions? I begin to wonder.

Muslim isn't a race, it's a religion. A white Muslim in Saudi Arabia does just fine.

Again, point to the current country that is predominantly non-white and was built on a system of taking white people from their homes by force in a system of chattel slavery that proceeded to legalize discrimination of those white people after slavery was ended. We're trying to achieve an apples-to-apples comparison here, are we not?
I know Muslim is not a race, was trying for an example albeit not perfect ...well the way you phrase your question doesn't really allow me for an answer other than the U.S. since we were one of the last few countries to have it on a large scale.

Just trying my luck on Wiki, it looks like Kuwaut abolished slavery in 1949 while Korea abolished in 1894 but practiced until 1930, Saudi Arabia abolished it in 1962....there are others....I have validated none of this

I think this is an important thing to point out. Most white people who claim they aren't racist and say that they are teaching their children not to grow up that way, really don't ever expose their children (or themselves for that matter) to people of other races. It's really easy to sit there in your middle (or upper) class; mostly white communities (or hell, even trailer parks) and preach to your kids to "love everyone" but that's really just the baseline minimum effort.

How are you showing your kids how to interact with people who do not look like them, may not talk like them, may not be as privileged as them? Most white people don't have friends of other races except for a token black or Hispanic friend here or there.

Tons of white kids bump and sing along to rap music in their cars their parents bought for them, full of their other white friends - because you know their parents taught them "not to be racist and rap music is cool" but I guarantee you most of those kids would still be scared and uncomfortable if they were dropped off in the middle of the hood. Their parents would still be calling the police if they saw some random black guy walking through their white neighborhood because he "looked suspicious".

So while I think many whites who say they aren't racist are probably not your stereotypical racists but they are still most likely very prejudiced and need to better understand how the two go hand in hand.

Black people and brown immigrants have been forced to integrate into white societies for decades. White people, for the most part; make very little effort to immerse themselves into non-white cultures (apart from colonization and what not but that's for another thread).
I am not surprised by your last sentence, this is a predominately white country after all...I understand it......perhaps you can say this in many other countries though (playing devil's advocate), the majority not immersing themselves in the minority...I really appreciate your pointing my comment...I think it is huge to just interact with others of other races early on in a child's age....they see people more for what they bring to the table than a race first then everything after as they progress through life (provided this is reinforced)

I am not surprised by your last sentence, this is a predominately white country after all...I understand it......perhaps you can say this in many other countries though (playing devil's advocate), the majority not immersing themselves in the minority...I really appreciate your pointing my comment...I think it is huge to just interact with others of other races early on in a child's age....they see people more for what they bring to the table than a race first then everything after as they progress through life (provided this is reinforced)

What is not surprising about it?

Why is it predictable? Am I wrong trying to come up with ways to make the world better other than violence and stealing? I’m trying to come to solutions for all mankind to get along. How is that wrong?
Your approach works for white people. Blacks in the USA are marginalized unless they protest in a very visible way. Sometimes blacks feel they have to start cracking heads to get people to pay attention.

If blacks showed up to the protest about the stay-at-home laws and were armed the way white people were, what do you think the cops would have done? I’ll put my money on open fire.

i'm not political, or socially motivated by issues, except for this bullshirt.

skin colour should not matter. ever.
And yet we have made it matter for 500 years....And people like you are why it still matters, because instead of listening, empathizing, and fighting so that it doesnt, you are more concerned with targeting those standing up and acknowledging reality for what it is.

And yet we have made it matter for 500 years....And people like you are why it still matters, because instead of listening, empathizing, and fighting so that it doesnt, you are more concerned with targeting those standing up and acknowledging reality for what it is.
nah. i'm uniformed, especially politically. you don't want me as a representative. trust me. i have enough mental issues that i have a hard time saying things i shouldn't.

trust me. i would not be a positive. i can't keep my mouth shut.

i also grew up in australia where it wasn't as much of an issue (except for the poor aboriginals). it has only since being a teen have i realized how bad it is here.

You do realize that there other people, Bronco, that use similar rhetoric as you do but for different, if not shameless purposes, for notoriety, popularity, or to just remind their supporters or lackeys they still have street cred but yet live in multi-million dollar homes, and haven't practiced what they once preached in decades.

Shall I tell you or remind you of who their names are? Maybe you find some of them as pathetic and outdated as I do.

They deep down have no intention of listening, sympathizing, or empathizing one God damn bit, they talk a good game but more often then not, don't live up to their lofty ideals.

Whew! Y'all got me really emotional in my office right now. I had to step away for a few to let some of it out. Y'all really don't know how hard it is to be black in this country sometimes. I don't mean that in an accusatory, negative way either. I really have to check myself and remind myself, and tap into my empathy, that y'all don't know and remember how hard it can be to be on that side. Trying to understand something that is as foreign to you as can be. I get it. I really do. And, yet, I promise you, this side is so much harder. I'm just tired. I'm tired of worrying. I'm tired of being afraid. I'm tired of arguing with my love about whether we should bring kids into this world, because we're black and the implications of that. I'm tired of feeling like I'm not enough. Like I don’t matter. Like it's my fault. My shame. My burden. Because of my skin. I couldn't control that. Why me? Why do I have to carry this extra burden in life? It gets very hard at times.

The day after this happened, one of my best friends sent me a text. He's black, but he is so light skinned, has light colored eyes that he passes for white. His nickname is "whiteboy." Anyway, he asked me, "Do you fear for your life?" Whewwwwww. Even now its hard to type. I said, "Honestly? Yes." He broke down. So did I. He said how he never thought about asking me that before and that he really wasn't prepared for my answer. Because he passes, it's a burden in life he doesn't share.

I've been so fortunate, so blessed in life. And then I see a man killed like that. Like Ahmaud. And all you can really do is hope and pray your number never gets called. If it does, that I face it with dignity and courage. That I'm someone my community will mourn with pride. But it isn't fair. I understand that and I accept it. Those are the rules and I have to comply. But, for a day, I wish i could live like it doesn’t matter.

I don't have all the answers Krod. It's not your burden to change this world, this society on your own. But I do want to thank you and @Semper for one thing and maybe we start here. You participated in the convo, you took the criticism, took the jabs, took the harshness but yall stayed. That means something.

I remember the Star Trek TNG episode where Q introduces them to the Borg. At the end, after Picard asks for help, and Q acknowledges how humbling that was for him to do, Picard quips back, "I understand what you've done here, Q, but I think the lesson could have been learned without the loss of 18 members of my crew."

Like a G, Q hits back, "If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."

Meaning, these conversations are hard. And if you aren't willing to take some harsh words, be challenged, get your nose bloodied, then maybe you shouldn't participate. But, if you're willing, if you're willing, the conversation can be as valuable as treasure, if you are strong enough to take somd lumps and stick around.

For that I commend y’all. We just need to be heard and feel like we matter. Start small. In your circle. In your community. But it can't be just superficial, surface stuff. You see someone being mistreated, use your privilege to intervene. Speak up. Be heard. Or just be more empathetic. That's a great place to start.

I'll echo Dave's sentiment, and hope that you do decide to have kids, the world needs more people like you. But I get your fear, it's a bit selfish on my part when I don't have to bear a lot of the burdens that you do.

nah. i'm uniformed, especially politically. you don't want me as a representative. trust me. i have enough mental issues that i have a hard time saying things i shouldn't.

trust me. i would not be a positive. i can't keep my mouth shut.

i also grew up in australia where it wasn't as much of an issue (except for the poor aboriginals). it has only since being a teen have i realized how bad it is here.
I may have misinterpreted your post incorrectly and I apologize I’d I did.

The way it read made it sound like you were speaking to Oye and calling him out for acknowledging the real racial dispartity in this country that so many would rather ignore and find ways to blame the symptom(the riots) rather than the disease(racism and white supremacy).

i will never understand the plight of any african/any dark skin national. i will never pretend to. just to make it clear.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom