Here we go again - Video shows white police officer killing a black man in Minnesota by suffocation as the man pleads "I can't breathe" (2 Viewers)

I’m not saying the guy should have been a cop but i’m sure many cops get complaints. It’s part of the job for them and they know it. Which is probably a small part of the problem. Nobody likes being arrested. It’s not like leaving a yelp review. Those complaints that went unpunished probably fueled his ego and made him feel invincible. I saw some of the complaints in an article and they all seemed 50/50 to me. That’s why body cams On Cops should be mandatory by law.

Yep. If your body cam isn't working, you shouldn't be on the beat.

99% says nothing
Arresting the wrong guy
Proportional force? 99% do nothing
They found no gun after and he was released. This is normal?
This won't escalate things

Until the actual culture within the police force nationwide changes, this will continue. Speaking with my police colleagues, it's amazing how much time is spent with weapons, hand to hand, and other forcible tactics vs deescalation
I'd like to know what department that is. I just completed my post training for the year. This training is a week long and our only combat training was 4 hours of weapons qualifications. The rest of the trading was on first aid, racial diversity, crisis intervention, autism awareness, de escalation. Criminal procedure. The list goes on and on. Post mandates all of these classes. If someone is telling you they spend a large amount of time on combats skills they are either bosting uninformed or they do it on their on time.

Last edited:
The last stat I saw on this showed something like .03% of cops are dirty. Now that stats a few years
I would LOVE to see how they supposedly quantified that lol.

Does that include all the cops who’s indiscretions were covered up by the “brotherhood code” like Derek Chauvin who managed to skate by for years despite over a dozen complaints and reports of abusive behavior? Or the police captain in Portland that had a sparkling clean* record but just happened to moonlight as an organizer for Nazi recruitment, tribute, and activism?

*Portland PD erased his record for him despite multiple incidents of organizing Nazi tribute around the city and complaints of retaliation toward another officer for filing a complaint against him.

I'd like to know what department that is. I just completed my post training for the year. This training is a week long and our only combat training was 4 hours of weapons qualifications. The rest of the trading was on first aid, racial diversity, crisis intervention, autism awareness, de escalation. Criminal procedure. The list goes on and on. Post mandates all of these classes. If someone is telling you they spend a large amount of time on combats skills they are either bosting uninformed or they do it on their on time.

Not saying this represents all precincts, but given the pretty similar and common breakdown of protecting and serving into something that looks indistinguishable from an occupying force treating their citizens like insurgents, and acting like they have legal impunity, there is a clear breakdown in the system and process.

The last stat I saw on this showed something like .03% of cops are dirty. Now that stats a few years

Define "dirty" in this stat analysis.

Because for how I and many others would define "dirty," it is 1000000% impossible that only .03% of cops are dirty.

Define "dirty" in this stat analysis.

Because for how I and many others would define "dirty," it is 1000000% impossible that only .03% of cops are dirty.
I think it’s one of those times where the numbers don’t really matter. If one is bad it’s too many. Sometimes we get to caught up in the numbers rather than the moral thought. Not to derail but it’s the same thing about the outrage over a mass shooting as opposed to a Friday night murder. It’s murder it’s wrong and no matter whether it’s 1 or 100. Just stop the hate and killing.

I think it’s one of those times where the numbers don’t really matter. If one is bad it’s too many. Sometimes we get to caught up in the numbers rather than the moral thought. Not to derail but it’s the same thing about the outrage over a mass shooting as opposed to a Friday night murder. It’s murder it’s wrong and no matter whether it’s 1 or 100. Just stop the hate and killing.

I tend to disagree here. It doesn't matter when we've all been brainwashed to believe that "only .03% of cops are dirty," when in reality, the split is probably closer to 60% good, 40% "dirty," depending on how you define dirty. That, in fact, is a problem that deserves more attention.

We need to start looking at the types of people we are hiring to police society.

I tend to disagree here. It doesn't matter when we've all been brainwashed to believe that "only .03% of cops are dirty," when in reality, the split is probably closer to 60% good, 40% "dirty," depending on how you define dirty. That, in fact, is a problem that deserves more attention.

We need to start looking at the types of people we are hiring to police society.
I guess i didn’t explain my point well and I apologize. The mindset should be whether it’s 1%, 40% or 80% it’s wrong. Fix it all because no percentage is acceptable

Thats not true. We hold officers accountable all the time. I myself have arrested 2 officers. Not all , or most departments have these issues. 99% of officers are good men and women

First off, I appreciate what you do and I think we need more LEO like you. I totally understand it is a tough job and I have the utmost respect for those that do it well.

I used to believe the vast majority of LEO were good at their jobs and good folks. Not anymore....If you include all of LEO and all of the personnel that make up the justice system around LEO actions I think it is a much higher percentage of those that are not just committing unjustified/criminal assault but who are complicit in allowing it, when so many LEO get off that have clearly committed a criminal act then the system (IA, DA, judges and all others involved in these cases) is severely broken.....When it seems the system is condoning these actions I completely understand the reaction (but I stop short of condoning it)....I hope the riots stop and no one else gets hurt at this point.

My rather simple take....

Thats not true. We hold officers accountable all the time. I myself have arrested 2 officers. Not all , or most departments have these issues. 99% of officers are good men and women

Sorry. I have a hard time believing this, especially when this "99%" does nothing to out the 1% even after something like this happens.

I know I would have. I just finished training my squad on this a few weeks ago. When we have to put hands on do it fast get them cuffed get them up, get them in the car. once they stop resisting we stop using force.
I'm sure it is a bad idea interjecting citizens into this, but what can we do if on the streets and witnessing this? I don't just want to record a death or abuse. I want to appeal to their better senses to actually stop. However, I know how most of that is distracting and counterproductive.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom