Here we go again - Video shows white police officer killing a black man in Minnesota by suffocation as the man pleads "I can't breathe" (1 Viewer)

There was this football guy who kneeled before games to bring attention to this... but the troops and what about Chicago and stuff.

Just can’t believe neither of the 4 cops thought there was a problem with what was happening. The man was unresponsive and he stayed on his neck.
Screenshot_20200526-201038_Instagram.jpg

What needs to be done on a national level so far fewer psychopaths are hired in the first place?

What about the fellow officers who know about the psychopaths on the force and say and do nothing other than hoping that he doesn’t do anything too bad this time?
Seems we need major reforms in police agencies from the ground up everywhere. Normally I trot out the 10+ year old FBI report about how white supremacists were infiltrating police depts around the country.

Seems some chickens have started roosting.

What needs to be done on a national level so far fewer psychopaths are hired in the first place?

What about the fellow officers who know about the psychopaths on the force and say and do nothing other than hoping that he doesn’t do anything too bad this time?

They need to shift compensation structure to where base pay is higher and variable pay (overtime, etc.) is lower. People see that cops start at 50k or whatever and it turns most people with high earner potential off. What they don't realize is you can make double that with hazard pay, overtime, etc. Attract better talent.

Lawsuit payouts and settlements should come from the police pension fund, not the taxpayer.

Civilian oversight committees.

Rules against hiring officers who were fired from other PDs for committing crimes or ethics violations.

Laws that make punishment for crimes committed while on duty much more punitive than if committed by a citizen.

Mandate body cams. Automatic suspension of an officer if they have interactions without body cams. Automatic termination if you have an interaction where force is used without the camera functioning.

And a whole host of policy changes regarding physicality and deadly force. Physical escalation should be the last resort, not the first. Social media monitoring, etc.

Also, officers should have to pass significant physical tests every year. There are way too many escalations by police officers who "feared for their lives" in situations where any reasonably strong and fit person would have de-escalated instantly with very little force.

Anything less than very lengthy prison sentences is unacceptable. This is why people don't trust the police, and as these things continue to occur I don't blame people for not respecting police. They don't deserve respect. Incompetence or stupidity, it doesn't really matter. You can say 2/3 or whatever percentage you want to are good, but so what? The priests who raped kids gave the rest a bad name and the same thing can be said for cops. Thank goodness with modern technology these things are getting exposed more.
I could be even more general and say that 2/3's of humans are good but so what. Mostly of my friends are cops and are good people. I know a couple cops that I dont associate with because I see who they are, but I would never say judge them all. The men who committed this crime need to be investigated and punished but please dont generalize all cops because of the behavior of a few.

talked about this i another thread, as long as recruitment is a major issue - and retention being a byproduct of that issue, there is going to be tons of otherway looking

They need to shift compensation structure to where base pay is higher and variable pay (overtime, etc.) is lower. People see that cops start at 50k or whatever and it turns most people with high earner potential off. What they don't realize is you can make double that with hazard pay, overtime, etc. Attract better talent.

Lawsuit payouts and settlements should come from the police pension fund, not the taxpayer.

Rules against hiring officers who were fired from other PDs for committing crimes or ethics violations.

Laws that make punishment for crimes committed while on duty much more punitive than if committed by a citizen.

Mandate body cams. Automatic suspension of an officer if they have interactions without body cams. Automatic termination if you have an interaction where force is used without the camera functioning.

And a whole host of policy changes regarding physicality and deadly force. Physical escalation should be the last resort, not the first. Social media monitoring, etc.

Also, officers should have to pass significant physical tests every year. There are way too many escalations by police officers who "feared for their lives" in situations where any reasonably strong and fit person would have de-escalated instantly with very little force.
i could get behind all of this

I dont get this. What does this accomplish? The 4 officers involved were fired and are being investigated by the FBI.

Body cameras for all and not allowed to be turned off. Let’s not loose sight that the job is a very dangerous job, for some officers, they can’t turn the switch off (everyone an enemy so to speak), others are just dumb, some on a power trip, and a small set ( I would like to think) are racist piece of work....sadly in the end, it mostly the tax payer that foots the bill. Cops that don’t say anything should be held liable as well if evidence shows they should have known better.

I dont get this. What does this accomplish? The 4 officers involved were fired and are being investigated by the FBI.
Anger boils over. I'll hold judgement on if it's murder until the investigation is over, but there's a very good chance these guys walk and get to work again somewhere else.

I have a problem with that because there is zero need to keep your knee on the neck of a handcuffed man.

None, no excuse. That's abuse of power and the officer should be arrested for that. The ones who watched are guilty of aiding.

Are you black?

I like all but the pension one. Would never fly. Sadly, officers need to be partly liable at the very least.

Anger boils over. I'll hold judgement on if it's murder until the investigation is over, but there's a very good chance these guys walk and get to work again somewhere else.

I have a problem with that because there is zero need to keep your knee on the neck of a handcuffed man.

None, no excuse. That's abuse of power and the officer should be arrested for that. The ones who watched are guilty of aiding.

I would agree with this. I believe that is why all 4 were fired as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom