Here we go again - Video shows white police officer killing a black man in Minnesota by suffocation as the man pleads "I can't breathe" (1 Viewer)

The violence and looting under the guise of protesting George Floyd's murder are also crimes. I hope most of the looters are charged. I don't have sympathy if they get hurt as the police try to get the rioters under control. I know if I saw people going too far, I would immediately leave the area. I know people want justice, and the cop has been charged with 3rd degree murder. The other cops don't know how much pressure the charged cop had on Floyd. They are cowards for not acting, and may be faced with negligence as well. We'll see as it gets investigated, and I believe the cop should go to jail for a long time. But damaging and destroying innocent people's property is disgusting as well.

Maximum 25 years in prison isn't gonna cut it. I get why they went that route because it's gonna be difficult to prove that he intended for his knee on neck to result in death.

I get that the prosecutor wants to get a conviction and a jury is gonna have a tough time getting a unanimous vote on 2nd degree murder, but it just feels like this isn't enough. Maybe the federal side of the case can do more, but i don't know. I'd look into a hate crime here because I think it fits in this case. I guess we'll see as the case develops.

Curious about the other officers what they'll be charged with.
The autopsy stated that he wasn't asphyxiated, but rather died due to a combination of the restraint and other conditions. That suggests the cop may not have meant to kill Floyd, but it doesn't change the fact that he was being abusive, reckless, careless, and should've known the possibility existed that he could kill Floyd, so I think 3rd degree murder is about right.

The autopsy stated that he wasn't asphyxiated, but rather died due to a combination of the restraint and other conditions. That suggests the cop may not have meant to kill Floyd, but it doesn't change the fact that he was being abusive, reckless, careless, and should've known the possibility existed that he could kill Floyd, so I think 3rd degree murder is about right.

If a person with a bad heart gets shot in the chest and dies because his weakened heart can't take the blood loss but would have it was healthy, do we call that victim a heart disease victim or do we call them a gunshot wound victim?

The violence and looting under the guise of protesting George Floyd's murder are also crimes. I hope most of the looters are charged. I don't have sympathy if they get hurt as the police try to get the rioters under control. I know if I saw people going too far, I would immediately leave the area. I know people want justice, and the cop has been charged with 3rd degree murder. The other cops don't know how much pressure the charged cop had on Floyd. They are cowards for not acting, and may be faced with negligence as well. We'll see as it gets investigated, and I believe the cop should go to jail for a long time. But damaging and destroying innocent people's property is disgusting as well.

LAPAZ said:
While it may be true that a vet suggested that "kneeling for the flag would symbolize his reverence for those that paid the ultimate sacrifice while still allowing Colin to peacefully protest the injustices he saw.", I've only heard Kap talk about it being a protest, rather than a way of displaying reverence. I think the act of calling attention to yourself during the ceremony is what is disrespectful. Do it before or after the ceremony, and it l'll still get attention without being disrespectful. That is how you win over people to your side. At this point, I'm not sure if the cause has been served.

You didn't like how Kap protested and you dont like how the protests are going now. What you're saying is that you don't like anything that makes you uncomfortable. You're saying showing respect during an anthem which is an outright lie for American citizens of color is more important than the lives of Black people. You're saying I didnt feel moved to join this discussion about murdering black men until property damage occured which says again, I don't place a high value on black lives. If I murder your whole family and you go on a tirade which ends in you burning down my house because you found it before finding me, you would be 100% P'Oed if someone then told you, "dude, I know he killed your wife, kids, and parents...but did you have to burn down his house? Shame on you. You're no better than him. Not at all."

I'd like to know what department that is. I just completed my post training for the year. This training is a week long and our only combat training was 4 hours of weapons qualifications. The rest of the trading was on first aid, racial diversity, crisis intervention, autism awareness, de escalation. Criminal procedure. The list goes on and on. Post mandates all of these classes. If someone is telling you they spend a large amount of time on combats skills they are either bosting uninformed or they do it on their on time.
Houston. I would imagine that if you look at the major departments nationwide, that would tend to be the rule rather than the exception as well. Just look at NYPD and LAPD the last few nights for a perfect example of how they escalated mostly peaceful demonstrations into full blown riots
https://www.apmreports.org/story/2017/05/05/police-de-escalation-training

Read this and just look at all the states that require no deescalation training or a token amount (say 3 hours in 3 years). This has to change.
https://www.apexofficer.com/police-training-requirements

If a person with a bad heart gets shot in the chest and dies because his weakened heart can't take the blood loss but would have it was healthy, do we call that victim a heart disease victim or do we call them a gunshot wound victim?
I think shooting someone in the chest is highly likely to kill someone. Pressing down on someone's neck with your knee can kill a person, so I don't excuse it. I think it was reckless, and he should've known that he might be killing Floyd, but I don't think we can be sure that he meant to kill Floyd. That's why I think 3rd degree is the right charge.

Last edited:
I think shooting someone in the chest is highly likely to kill someone. Pressing down on someone's neck your knee can kill a person, so I don't excuse it. I think it was reckless, and he should've known that he might be killing Floyd, but I don't think we can be sure that he meant to kill Floyd. That's why I think 3rd degree is the right charge.

If someone is telling you they can't breathe because your knee is on their neck, and you intentionally drive your knee even deeper into that person's neck, you have in fact chosen to intentionally kill a person.

Come on man. Is this really the hill you want to go out on?

I think shooting someone in the chest is highly likely to kill someone. Pressing down on someone's neck your knee can kill a person, so I don't excuse it. I think it was reckless, and he should've known that he might be killing Floyd, but I don't think we can be sure that he meant to kill Floyd. That's why I think 3rd degree is the right charge.

The problem I have was he kept his knee on the neck for like 3 minutes after the guy had passed out. I mean, at some point it has to go from maybe not meaning to kill him, to willfully killing him. It's gonna be hard to prove intent, but if it can be shown clearly that Floyd was unconscious a full 3 minutes before Chauvin got up, then a think a good argument can be made that there was willful intent to kill at that point. Which would make this 2nd degree murder and a much longer prison sentence.

You didn't like how Kap protested and you dont like how the protests are going now. What you're saying is that you don't like anything that makes you uncomfortable. You're saying showing respect during an anthem which is an outright lie for American citizens of color is more important than the lives of Black people. You're saying I didnt feel moved to join this discussion about murdering black men until property damage occured which says again, I don't place a high value on black lives. If I murder your whole family and you go on a tirade which ends in you burning down my house because you found it before finding me, you would be 100% P'Oed if someone then told you, "dude, I know he killed your wife, kids, and parents...but did you have to burn down his house? Shame on you. You're no better than him. Not at all."
I didn't join this thread until today because I haven't visited the EE board for a couple weeks. This isn't about not valuing black lives. It's about perspective. I think the cop is guilty, and I support him being imprisoned. That doesn't excuse the disgusting looting. Do you think it is acceptable to destroy private property of innocent people?

If you murder my family, then I would be justified to burn down your house. What does that have to do with the rioters burning and destroying innocent people's property? Are you suggesting they are guilty of being white?

If someone is telling you they can't breathe because your knee is on their neck, and you intentionally drive your knee even deeper into that person's neck, you have in fact chosen to intentionally kill a person.

Come on man. Is this really the hill you want to go out on?
People being arrested frequently complain. Only the cop with the knee on his neck would know how much pressure he is putting. How do you know he pressed down harder after he said he couldn't breathe? Also, the autopsy said he didn't die of asphyxiation, so he obviously could still breathe. That doesn't excuse the cop. I think he killed the man by being reckless, and had no justification to hold him down for so long, but it doesn't mean he meant to kill him. 3rd degree murder is the right charge.

The problem I have was he kept his knee on the neck for like 3 minutes after the guy had passed out. I mean, at some point it has to go from maybe not meaning to kill him, to willfully killing him. It's gonna be hard to prove intent, but if it can be shown clearly that Floyd was unconscious a full 3 minutes before Chauvin got up, then a think a good argument can be made that there was willful intent to kill at that point. Which would make this 2nd degree murder and a much longer prison sentence.
I agree that 2nd degree is possible, but 3rd degree is a slam dunk. Other evidence such as his comments or past behavior may make 2nd degree likely.

If you murder my family, then I would be justified to burn down your house.

And that right there is apathy. "Well if it's me, I get it..."

Decades of murder, you dont get it. But if it's you, it's justified. Uh huh.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom