Here we go again - Video shows white police officer killing a black man in Minnesota by suffocation as the man pleads "I can't breathe" (1 Viewer)

Posted this in the riot thread, but this is probably the more appropriate home.

Something very fishy is going on here.

Since when do EMTs where bullet proof vests? Since when do they not do any preliminary checks before arriving and immediately putting someone onto a gurney, in such an un-careful way?

I replied in the other thread and after looking up some stuff, thats a Hennepin County Sheriff deputy assisting. Minneapolis does what several other large cities do and has both county and municipal officers overlap coverage. Sometimes this leads to both agencies on scene at escalating calls. Since thats a private ambulance company on scene, I guarantee you PD told crew to stay in the unit while they loaded.

I replied in the other thread and after looking up some stuff, thats a Hennepin County Sheriff deputy assisting. Minneapolis does what several other large cities do and has both county and municipal officers overlap coverage. Sometimes this leads to both agencies on scene at escalating calls. Since thats a private ambulance company on scene, I guarantee you PD told crew to stay in the unit while they loaded.
Pretty sure the Dr who broke all this down stated as much. It certainly appears the decision to perform CPR in the ambulance was made. Not necessarily a bad decision, because you'd have to stop it to get him in the ambulance. Still tho, he was concerned about how long it took to get to the CPR phase.

using their powers for good

af5.png

I have been a police officer for the better part of 20 years. I have been a Use of Force (UOF) instructor as well as a firearms instructor. I have taken a number of defensive tactics courses (DT). I have trained officers as well as been trained. I can honestly say that I have never received training to do this to a handcuffed, compliant (mostly) individual. Hell, I've never been trained to do this to a non compliant individual. In fact, if you accidentally had your knee near the spine or it wasn't parallel, you failed the training event. No way a knee to the neck was SOP. With that being said, I read somewhere that MPD teaches this. If that's the case, this officer might not face murder charges. It's speculation at this point because I haven't read anything directly from MPD. Sorry if someone has already posted this. My arse is too lazy to go through all 40 pages.

This is incorrect. It's a very short-sighted view that only serves to mitigate the impact those decisions have on today.

Calhoun made an address in 1848 - prior to 1865 - that still rings true today, part of the political strategy of the day in his speech on the Oregon Bill.

Before America was a nation, whites were explicitly and solely given land and that land ownership continues to impact today. Actual possession of the land and generational wealth. Take a long, hard look at Virgina history and law and codified racism and the impact it has on today.

Have we made progress? Sure. But the moment someone breaks out "But 350 years ago" I don't give that any more credence than someone who begins their sentence with "I have a black friend" - there is going to be default skepticism. And with good reason.

The belief that Africans were less than humans shaped laws whose legacies existed in the Civil Rights Era, and still exist in practices today - even when it's illegal, acc to law. It's not housing discrimination doesn't happen today simply because it's illegal.

The belief that Africans were less intelligent than whites because of their cranial capacity existed - as scientific belief - long past Samuel Morton.

The belief that blacks are more violent than whites existed in the early 20th century widely known fact and continues to this day.

Northern cities packed blacks into ghettos based on racist beliefs when those same blacks fled the Jim Crow South to the industrialized North, looking for opportunity - and found hostility there. They found hate and discrimination and redlining. This population density led to a lot of mass incarceration.

Nixon specifically targeted blacks - not any other ethnicity - in an attempt to portray them as dangerous drug users and violent offenders. And this became codified law and drove policing procedures for two generations. And still happens today.

Educational segregation existed loooooong after Emancipation, and had to be forcibly ended by the Fed because some states refused to comply. And Northern cities segregated their schools and continue to, and educational equity is an illusion and without a sound education, there is no progress, no hope.

All of a sudden, we're not talking about 1619. We're not talking about 1865. We're talking about 1848. And 1889. And 1915. And 1935. And 1955. And 1968. And 1975. And 1987. And 1996. And 2001. And 2015. And 2020.

And we'll be talking about it in 2021.

How much longer after that?

Who knows.

But dates will continue to add up past 2021 the more we try to act like 1865 came and racism went.

I'm just not feeling it today. Today, I'm angry. Which reminds me of something else Baldwin said:

To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time.

And, still, STILL, the "why riot" crowd wonders and condemns. I don’t have the energy for it today.

I'm just not feeling it today. Today, I'm angry. Which reminds me of something else Baldwin said:

To be a Negro in this country and to be relatively conscious is to be in a rage almost all the time.

And, still, STILL, the "why riot" crowd wonders and condemns. I don’t have the energy for it today.

I am often reminded of a Miles Davis quote: "If somebody told me I only had an hour to live, I'd spend it choking a white man. I'd do it nice and slow."

Now I'm pretty familiar with it, so it's not shocking to me to read. However, if one is white, just reading it is going to make you (without even realizing it) a little uncomfortable and a little defensive, even though it's uttered by a man who grew up in a prosperous and educated black family and also just happened to be one of the most brilliant artists and independent thinkers of the 20th century.

Your first response is "He's so angry that's ridiculous," and it probably should have been "what on earth would motivate such an intelligent and independent person to make such a strong statement with such conviction?"

If any of you white folk have a black friend or acquaintance and can honestly ask them about having had "the talk" with their parents or kids, or is willing to tell you honestly how it feels to be black man or woman walking through crowd of white people in America, this might be a good time to try and ask.

Not all choke holds are "bad" per say, but...

Since the beginning of 2015, officers from the Minneapolis Police Department have rendered people unconscious with neck restraints 44 times, according to an NBC News analysis of police records. Several police experts said that number appears to be unusually high.

Minneapolis police used neck restraints at least 237 times during that span, and in 16 percent of the incidents the suspects and other individuals lost consciousness, the department's use-of-force records show. A lack of publicly available use-of-force data from other departments makes it difficult to compare Minneapolis to other cities of the same or any size.

Police define neck restraints as when an officer uses an arm or leg to compress someone's neck without directly pressuring the airway. On May 25, Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin was captured on video kneeling on the neck of a prone and handcuffed George Floyd for eight minutes — including nearly three minutes after he had stopped breathing.

Chauvin was charged Friday with third-degree murder and manslaughter for Floyd's death.

More than a dozen police officials and law enforcement experts told NBC News that the particular tactic Chauvin used — kneeling on a suspect's neck — is neither taught nor sanctioned by any police agency. A Minneapolis city official told NBC News Chauvin's tactic is not permitted by the Minneapolis police department. For most major police departments, variations of neck restraints, known as chokeholds, are highly restricted — if not banned outright.

Related: "The police officer and those who were there that day failed George Floyd," said Chuck Wexler, executive director of the Police Executive Research Forum.

The version of the Minneapolis Police Department's policy manual that is available on-line, however, does permit the use of neck restraints that can render suspects unconscious, and the protocol for their use appears not to have been updated for more than eight years.

Live updates on George Floyd's death and protests around the country.

Minneapolis police data shows that in the bulk of use-of-force cases involving neck restraints when an individual lost consciousness, the restraint was used after a suspect fled on foot or tensed up as they were being taken into custody. Almost half of the people who lost consciousness were injured, according to the reports, which do not spell out the severity of those injuries.

Five of the cases involved assaults on officers, while several others involved domestic abuse or domestic assault cases. In most cases, there was no apparent underlying violent offense.

I think one thing would be for all of us to ask our local police departments if their use of force data isn't public, why not?

More of this. The emotion, symbolic gestures, head patting, shoulder rubbing, and fake empathy has run its course.

I only care about actionable tangible recourse with real punishment at this point.

Absolutely, the protests/riots/etc are not the what we need, we need actual action to increase accountability in our criminal justice systems. I hoped we could have had action without the destruction and violence (even before the current events), but now that it is here, I hope we get something good out of it.

I hope something like this can pass, but the Democrats and Republicans will probably not allow it.
If it does pass, I can see fewer people wanting to be police and hopefully a lot of police quit their jobs.
If we have a lot of police quit, hopefully that would lead to the understanding that the war on drugs must be ended due to lack of enforcement resources.
Ending the war on drugs is the best thing we can do to limit state power and drastically reduce police killings as well as targeting and incarceration of minorities, not to mention the reduction in spending on that stupid failed war.
I've never heard of qualified immunity. One comment on Twitter says it doesn't protect police from actions they should've known were unlawful. Based on the attached article, there have been some bad applications of the immunity. I would think the law needs to at least be amended to state that adverse actions taken against a cooperative person will not warrant immunity:

With that amendment, the cited examples would not be immune. The person that was biten by a dog after having his hands up to give up, and the man in the cell that got peppered sprayed would not have fallen under qualified immunity.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom