Here we go again - Video shows white police officer killing a black man in Minnesota by suffocation as the man pleads "I can't breathe" (1 Viewer)

I dont get this. What does this accomplish? The 4 officers involved were fired and are being investigated by the FBI.
So , empirically , how many of your friends and family and community would need to be murdered in the street over minor offenses before you'd sack up and say something ? Did you have a number in mind ?

So , empirically , how many of your friends and family and community would need to be murdered in the street over minor offenses before you'd sack up and say something ? Did you have a number in mind ?
Think you're behind on the discussion. He understands the protests. He just doesn't like when they turn to rioting and property damage/violence.

Right or wrong, that level of behavior gets in the way of the message. Even though I can totally understand the rage.

Heck, I didn't get my unemployment check this week for an unknown reason, and I want to torch the DEO (kidding, not really, don't report me).

Right or wrong, that level of behavior gets in the way of the message. Even though I can totally understand the rage.

I understand the rage and reason behind the riots.

Logically, it's kinda dumb to destroy your own community or worse - in this case, the police property that your own tax dollars are going to be used to repair everything and clean everything up.

But still, I understand why.

This is cold blooded murder.

I am a white man, so I have only experienced the privilege and not the consequences of the color of my skin and the fact I have male genitalia.

I had a DUI in the 90’s in college where I became verbally abusive to the officer, after he refused my bribe. I am not proud of my behavior.

My sentence was reduced to reckless diving and the bribing an officer charge was dropped. “Boys will be boys” was my lawyer’s defense. I was a college kid who made a mistake and my whole life shouldn’t be ruined because of it. I was a good kid. I was going to succeed if they just let this slide.

I always was ashamed I got away with it because I could afford a lawyer. My sentence would not have been so light if I was black. That I am sure of. Now I am not even sure I would have survived the encounter. That sickens me.

In the mid 80’s an urban poet named O’Shea Jackson wrote:

F*** the police comin' straight from the underground
A young n*** got it bad 'cause I'm brown
And not the other color so police think
They have the authority to kill a minority
F**** that sh**, 'cause I ain't the one
For a punk mother***** with a badge and a gun
To be beatin' on, and thrown in jail
We can go toe to toe in the middle of a cell
F***** with me 'cause I'm a teenager
With a little bit of gold and a pager
Searchin' my car, lookin' for the product
Thinkin' every n**** is sellin' narcotics

He could have still written that today, sadly.

He was put on the FBI’s watch list with the rest of N.W.A. and considered a horrible human being and a legitimate domestic threat. He was a bad example because the said horrible things. He just happened to be 100% right too.

Think you're behind on the discussion. He understands the protests. He just doesn't like when they turn to rioting and property damage/violence.

Heck, I didn't get my unemployment check this week for an unknown reason, and I want to torch the DEO (kidding, not really, don't report me).

As long as these same people show their disgust when "white" people tear up everything in sight and loot stores because their team just won a championship.

It really is some of the clearest evidence of America’s intrinsic racism.

When white men get angry and defiant we treat it as something people need to respectfully reflect upon and consider.

When people of color or woman get angry and defiant, we become hyper critical and, in the case of woman, label it hysteria.

The angry black man is someone that needs to calm down and articulate himself if he wants to be taken seriously.

The angry white man is someone that we need to empathize with and understand their anger and POV.

When black people riot over perceived injustice we reach to criticize the mess and how counter-productive they are being, and how they need to do a better job bridging the divide.

When white people storm a capital with guns we reflexively talk about how we need to take their grievences seriously and we need to help bridge the divide.

White people hang effigies of the governor on his lawn or storm a government building, police stand down and accommodate their grievences.

Black people show public dismay over an unjust killing, tear gas and flash bang grenades.

...And someone will read this and reflexively want to defend how I’m wrong and its just “different.” And you’ll be proving the point.

It really is some of the clearest evidence of America’s intrinsic racism.

When white men get angry and defiant we treat it as something people need to respectfully reflect upon and consider.

When people of color or woman get angry and defiant, we become hyper critical and, in the case of woman, label it hysteria.

The angry black man is someone that needs to calm down and articulate himself if he wants to be taken seriously.

The angry white man is someone that we need to empathize with and understand their anger and POV.

When black people riot over perceived injustice we reach to criticize the mess and how counter-productive they are being, and how they need to do a better job bridging the divide.

When white people storm a capital with guns we reflexively talk about how we need to take their grievences seriously and we need to help bridge the divide.

White people hang effigies of the governor on his lawn or storm a government building, police stand down and accommodate their grievences.

Black people show public dismay over an unjust killing, tear gas and flash bang grenades.

...And someone will read this and reflexively want to defend how I’m wrong and its just “different.” And you’ll be proving the point.
Black people should storm it as well with a rifle or sidearm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom