Here we go. Early Retirements Straining Social Security Already. (1 Viewer)

Raise or eliminate the cap on taxable income toward social security.

Raise or eliminate the cap on taxable income toward social security.
No. Enough of the smoke and mirrors.

Cut spending, cur borrowing, cut down to size and live within in means. Adjust priorities. Accept reality. Deal with fundamentals instead of tricks to try to maintain the unsustainable status quo.

It's really, really, really, really simple.

The troubles result from refusal to do above and at some point it is very hard to have sympathy for anyone.

Last edited:
No. Enough of the smoke and mirrors.

Cut spending, cur borrowing, cut down to size and live within in means. Adjust priorities. Accept reality. Deal with fundamentals instead of triocks to try to maintain the unsustainable status quo.

It's really, really, really, really simple.

The troubles result from refusal to do above and at some point it is very hard to have sympathy for anyone.

Amen!

Social Security was never intended to be your retirement plan. Too many people have viewed it that way. This country has been going to hell for the past 25 years or so financially. Even when things looked good, they weren't and smart people knew that. Too bad there aren't enough smart people in this country willing to make changes needed. Does anyone here actually think there will be Social Security when you retire? I never have. I have always assumed that was money straight up a duck's ***.

i have prepared for, and invested in my retirement. With or without SSI, I will retire at 55. if i get a little extra because of SSI nice. If not oh well.
Unfortunately every does not or can not prepare for their retirement. like someone said above SSI was not meant to be a retirement.

Social Security is going broke a few years earlier than originally predicted. What a shock. The Baby Boomers have only begun retiring and the system is already crumbling under its own weight. With every pyramid scheme, the ones who get early make out like bandits and the ones who get in late are suckers. The Great Pyramid Scheme is running out of suckers and the greatest irony is that Bernie Madoff went to prison for running one.

There are a lot of options to fix the problem. None of them particularly good ones.

I guess the ultimate answer depends on which one you believe is more likely to happen, or at least happen first: a political establishment willing to make the tough decisions or a realistic and informed electorate that acknowledges and accepts that not everybody is going to get their ice cream.

Social Security was never intended to be your retirement plan. Too many people have viewed it that way. This country has been going to hell for the past 25 years or so financially. Even when things looked good, they weren't and smart people knew that. Too bad there aren't enough smart people in this country willing to make changes needed. Does anyone here actually think there will be Social Security when you retire? I never have. I have always assumed that was money straight up a duck's ***.

Which is a pretty good argument for why I shouldn't have to pay anything towards it. Period.

i would raither have Social Security reform than have a gov. funded health care program.

I disagree. It was started in the thirties when there were no other options for the common man. IRAs and 401Ks are relatively new.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom