Here's a little Christmastime game we can all play together (1 Viewer)

I made it. Even when picking up a to-go order at BWW where I could see the televisions playing the McMariah commercial on the other side of the glass partitions, but could not hear it over the din of the restaurant.

From my best count, it seems that about 4 of us made it. I am considering all of the rules changes. I am also considering a possible playoff for those left in the game.
Maybe...who can go the longest before hearing Auld Lang Syne?

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 11.35.15 AM.png

• The objective of the game is to go as long as possible without hearing Mariah's Christmas classic, "All I Want for Christmas is You".
  • The game starts December 1st and runs through midnight on December 24th.
  • Only the original version applies. You may enjoy remixes and covers.
  • You're out as soon as you hear and recognize the song. Post here to indicate when you're out.
I'm a little late to the game but I certainly passed through that entire period of time without hearing "Mariah's Christmas classic" so I guess I won the game. It probably helped that I don't get TV broadcast or satellite signal, or even radio signal up here in the hills where even cell phone coverage also does not very often intrude. We have cell phones but most of the time they are connected through wifi wireless connections piggybacking off of DSL land line phone Internet connections, not cell towers.

In fact I'm wondering if I've ever heard it, because I'm wondering if I ever even heard of her.

I'm tempted to look it up to see if I would recognize it and her, but if I did that I would lose this game too late for it to matter.

:)

I'm a little late to the game but I certainly passed through that entire period of time without hearing "Mariah's Christmas classic" so I guess I won the game. It probably helped that I don't get TV broadcast or satellite signal, or even radio signal up here in the hills where even cell phone coverage also does not very often intrude. We have cell phones but most of the time they are connected through wifi wireless connections piggybacking off of DSL land line phone Internet connections, not cell towers.

In fact I'm wondering if I've ever heard it, because I'm wondering if I ever even heard of her.

I'm tempted to look it up to see if I would recognize it and her, but if I did that I would lose this game too late for it to matter.

Welcome!

Since it is past the deadline of the game I will, in all fairness, have to decline your entry. I'm sure you'll understand.

Have you looked into Starlink Internet?

Welcome!

Since it is past the deadline of the game I will, in all fairness, have to decline your entry. I'm sure you'll understand.
Well thank you.

After I posted I looked up that song anyway and I didn't recognize it, although I do think I've seen Mariah in something somewhere.

Have you looked into Starlink Internet?
That might work, as I understand it those satellites are in polar orbits, where as the other TV satellites are in geosynchronous orbits for which a looming mountain to the south blocks the view of from my place.

If a dish cannot see a satellite from where they are, they won't work.

Now the question is how much does that Starlink network cost. And does it work for TV because what I've heard about it, it's for cell phones.

If my land line DSL were faster I could stream web TV, but unless my mountain phone company upgrades their system I'm stuck with YouTube videos which can be down loaded ahead, and are not streaming in a high definition.

When I set YouTube for low definition I can barely make them work in real time. Some of the time, if the connection is really good that day.

:(

People living in Iraq have better Internet connections than I do.

After going back a few pages to xmas eve, I can see that those who survived the Mariah Campaign from the shores of Wal-Mart to the fabled Mariah's Nest located in the All I Want for Christmas is You Mountains would be you, myself, @Dago , @Taurus , and @Nisey55.... Everyone else is ded...
Yes! When will my prize arrive?

That might work, as I understand it those satellites are in polar orbits, where as the other TV satellites are in geosynchronous orbits for which a looming mountain to the south blocks the view of from my place.

If a dish cannot see a satellite from where they are, they won't work.

Now the question is how much does that Starlink network cost. And does it work for TV because what I've heard about it, it's for cell phones.

If my land line DSL were faster I could stream web TV, but unless my mountain phone company upgrades their system I'm stuck with YouTube videos which can be down loaded ahead, and are not streaming in a high definition.

When I set YouTube for low definition I can barely make them work in real time. Some of the time, if the connection is really good that day.

:(

People living in Iraq have better Internet connections than I do.
$500 for the equipment and $99 per month. There are reviews all over YouTube

After going back a few pages to xmas eve, I can see that those who survived the Mariah Campaign from the shores of Wal-Mart to the fabled Mariah's Nest located in the All I Want for Christmas is You Mountains would be you, myself, @Dago , @Taurus , and @Nisey55.... Everyone else is ded...
@nolaspe @Taurus @Nisey55 @Dago (and myself) will get a one-week bye for the 2022 contest. Everyone else will start on the 1st of December, this group will start at 6 pm on December the 8th. Congrats!

Everyone who decides to take the plunge must declare entry between December 1st and December 8th in the thread started for next year's contest. Additional rules will be forthcoming, the contest committee will be the aforementioned Group of Five.

If you have suggestions for rules, please post them here.

@nolaspe @Taurus @Nisey55 @Dago (and myself) will get a one-week bye for the 2022 contest. Everyone else will start on the 1st of December, this group will start at 6 pm on December the 8th. Congrats!

Everyone who decides to take the plunge must declare entry between December 1st and December 8th in the thread started for next year's contest. Additional rules will be forthcoming, the contest committee will be the aforementioned Group of Five.

If you have suggestions for rules, please post them here.
I request that my entry be delayed until 11:59 pm HST on Dec. 8th as it is my birthday. Can I call it Undedfield Advantage?

I request that my entry be delayed until 11:59 pm HST on Dec. 8th as it is my birthday. Can I call it Undedfield Advantage?
If I give it to you I will have to allow for the Group of Five.

Granted.

If I give it to you I will have to allow for the Group of Five.

Granted.
I'm good w/ that... Do we get fancy titles as the Group of Five? Maybe an Esq, Sir, or Honorable for example?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom