Here's a really good read on how NFL teams are using data analytics with player evaluation (1 Viewer)

diehardfan

Subscribing Member
Reaction score

We've talked alot about the correlation between coverage and pass rush. I found this to be very interesting:
“It’s a product of how we watch the game. The broadcast angle doesn’t show the coverage guys. Team success is correlated with how well coverage is. Pass rush and coverage are correlated, but the direction arrow points more towards coverage helping pass rush more than the other way around.” He points out that the smartest team in the league, the New England Patriots, has spent big on two cornerbacks this decade, Stephon Gilmore and Darrelle Revis, and not on pass rushers. This also helps explain why the Chiefs, another smart franchise, have put more emphasis on building the back end of their defense than their pass rush.

We've talked alot about the correlation between coverage and pass rush. I found this to be very interesting:
“It’s a product of how we watch the game. The broadcast angle doesn’t show the coverage guys. Team success is correlated with how well coverage is. Pass rush and coverage are correlated, but the direction arrow points more towards coverage helping pass rush more than the other way around.” He points out that the smartest team in the league, the New England Patriots, has spent big on two cornerbacks this decade, Stephon Gilmore and Darrelle Revis, and not on pass rushers. This also helps explain why the Chiefs, another smart franchise, have put more emphasis on building the back end of their defense than their pass rush.
Ellias J. Williams, is that you? He has been making the point that NFL QBs get the ball out so fast that the pass rush just can't get there. Thus, you need guys in the secondary who can cover. It seems backwards, but it makes sense. The article doesn't address that issue, but the correlation is there.

Ellias J. Williams, is that you? He has been making the point that NFL QBs get the ball out so fast that the pass rush just can't get there. Thus, you need guys in the secondary who can cover. It seems backwards, but it makes sense. The article doesn't address that issue, but the correlation is there.

No, I almost mentioned Ellias though., because I did think of him. He's been one of the folks on here preaching about the secondary and it's importance to the pass rush. I've always absolutely agreed but I didn't know that the pass rush was more dependent on the secondary than the other way around. That's why I highlighted that statement.

And the article mentions the Chiefs as a team who spends more on the secondary and that may be true but they just traded for DE Frank Clark and paid him $105 Mil over 5 years, $63 million guaranteed (greater total than DeMarcus Lawrence).

another that will attempt to measure a player’s instincts using tracking data to judge how quickly they adjust to a play

This struck me as pure gold. I've long thought evaluating just on athletics is limited. They are all world class athletes who react at speeds within .10ths of a second. The real speed gains to me could be realized by finding someone who can process on field information .5 seconds faster than others. That's a huge head start. imho.

This struck me as pure gold. I've long thought evaluating just on athletics is limited. They are all world class athletes who react at speeds within .10ths of a second. The real speed gains to me could be realized by finding someone who can process on field information .5 seconds faster than others. That's a huge head start. imho.

over the weekend we had a really good conversation about athletics ( spawned by kids and being "gifted"). Its amazing that 1200 or so can make it to the NCAA level but then only 15% of those take the leap to Pro level. What is the separation?

you nailed it. Processing/reacting/situational awareness etc. Thats the difference. How you test for that? not sure. But that is the separation from a good player to a great one.

im totally into all this. A players ability to understand the situation, then apply what has been learned over the years TOGETHER to identify and react in nano seconds. Be it baseball, soccer, football etc. The ability to process multiple points of reference into one sum has to be the deciding factor.

I’m a believer in 10,000 hours of practice.
You can take a decent athlete and if they have the desire to put in the time (10,000 hours), they can go far.

The real difference is when you have a gifted athlete who is also driven to work hard. They go farther.

Then when you have gifted, hard working and high intelligence... that become elite.

I’m a believer in 10,000 hours of practice.
You can take a decent athlete and if they have the desire to put in the time (10,000 hours), they can go far.
I hear you. 9,999 hours just isn't enough. If you don't get in that last hour, then it's all for naught. Once you make it to 10,000 hours, then you're set for life and never have to practice another single minute from that point forward. This is the absolute truth for every human being that ever has or ever will walk the planet.

That is the magical power of 10,000 hours of practice.

I hear you. 9,999 hours just isn't enough. If you don't get in that last hour, then it's all for naught. Once you make it to 10,000 hours, then you're set for life and never have to practice another single minute from that point forward. This is the absolute truth for every human being that ever has or ever will walk the planet.

That is the magical power of 10,000 hours of practice.
Seems you have a touch of “Greg brady “ syndrome.
Lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom