Here's how I think the NFL needs to react to last night's disaster (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Nothing can be done to fix yesterday's debacle, obviously. Those in the media who are trying to muddy the water with "what about" scenarios concerning other calls/noncalls earlier in the game and other mistakes the Saints made during the game miss the point entirely, and they are only rubbing salt in the wound. It's not possible to explain this away. The team and its fans were robbed and life isn't fair. Those are the facts today and they will not change.

That stated, for my own purposes, I am trying to identify the conditions under which I can see myself returning to the NFL as a fan. So far as I can tell there are 3 things that must happen, at a minimum:

1. An unequivocal statement must be issued by the NFL acknowledging the blown call. Hearsay about a call between Payton and the league after the game is not enough. This statement can be short and to the point, but the NFL PR folks need to be very careful about any kind of hedging or CYA nonsense in the statement. For me, the league needs to confront and own the mistake, or it will permanently lose any shred of credibility it currently has (I know many here will contend it already has no credibility, and fair enough).

2. Some consequence needs to be felt by those responsible for the officiating. I don't know exactly what this needs to look like except that, at a minimum, those responsible for the non-call on the field cannot be allowed to officiate another playoff game. Perhaps other heads need to roll too, but I don't see how any outcome short of this works.

3. The NFL needs to take concrete steps this offseason to improve the officiating process so this cannot happen again. As with point 2, I do not know exactly what this change needs to be and it will probably take months of debate and review to determine the details. That's process/review period is ok with me, as long as the eventual outcome is a better system.

If all 3 of those things occur, I can see myself coming back. If any of those 3 things do not occur, I doubt I will be able to continue as a consumer of the NFL's products.

Rant over.

They'll give the usual "we blew the call" we're sorry.... BS.. That's it...

I agree that there's not going to be a grand apology of any kind. They just need to own it in order to move forward from my perspective. Maybe they won't take even this small step (perhaps that's even likely). I don't think I can come back if they don't, though. Just my personal $.02.

2. Some consequence needs to be felt by those responsible for the officiating. I don't know exactly what this needs to look like except that, at a minimum, those responsible for the non-call on the field cannot be allowed to officiate another playoff game. Perhaps other heads need to roll too, but I don't see how any outcome short of this works.
If a ref can be fired for missing this....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This somehow wasn’t a false start on what turned out to be a Chargers TD <a href="https://t.co/C96wyxXZxR">pic.twitter.com/C96wyxXZxR</a></p>&mdash; Adam Stites (@AdamStites_) <a href="">October 14, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

What should happen to the clowns from last night?

Good point on the precedent. The burden is on the NFL to do the right thing. We will see what happens....

It's easy they have more than enough technology.

High speed 4k or even 8k cameras and TV's that are reviewable by refs.

Implementation of an artificial intelligence that watches the entire field for penalties and a head ref who watches that from the booth to step in and tell the ref on the field to drop a flag so it can be done in real time or to tell the AI that it's not a proper flaggable offense.

An ethical commissioner who says player safety and means it will step in when all those safeguards fail to replay a down if there is a complete breakdown in proper officiating.

Officials that are not paid by the league but by the teams as a collective, thus no way for any bias towards the NFL.

Restart the officiating crews from scratch with those who messed up last night being permanently banned from any saints game, if not outright fired altogether.

I think that's just a start and I may honestly see if I can get my hands on some AI software to do just what I said.

Nothing can be done to fix yesterday's debacle, obviously. Those in the media who are trying to muddy the water with "what about" scenarios concerning other calls/noncalls earlier in the game and other mistakes the Saints made during the game miss the point entirely, and they are only rubbing salt in the wound. It's not possible to explain this away. The team and its fans were robbed and life isn't fair. Those are the facts today and they will not change.

That stated, for my own purposes, I am trying to identify the conditions under which I can see myself returning to the NFL as a fan. So far as I can tell there are 3 things that must happen, at a minimum:

1. An unequivocal statement must be issued by the NFL acknowledging the blown call. Hearsay about a call between Payton and the league after the game is not enough. This statement can be short and to the point, but the NFL PR folks need to be very careful about any kind of hedging or CYA nonsense in the statement. For me, the league needs to confront and own the mistake, or it will permanently lose any shred of credibility it currently has (I know many here will contend it already has no credibility, and fair enough).

3. The NFL needs to take concrete steps this offseason to improve the officiating process so this cannot happen again. As with point 2, I do not know exactly what this change needs to be and it will probably take months of debate and review to determine the details. That's process/review period is ok with me, as long as the eventual outcome is a better system.

If all 3 of those things occur, I can see myself coming back. If any of those 3 things do not occur, I doubt I will be able to continue as a consumer of the NFL's products.

Rant over.

I agree undoubtedly w/all 3 points. I also think the NFL should awards us a compensatory pick somewhere in the 1st RD. It's the least they can do at this point. They cost the team and the fans a trip to the SB, threw shade on both Drew and Payton's legacies, and showcased in front of the world THAT CHEATERS WIN AND ARE CELEBRATED FOR IT.

Don't hold your breadth as the NFL never admits mistakes and never makes things right. They are run by a former Ad Agency guy who only knows spin and only knows that the almighty dollar is all that counts. Who cares about a small market team with a future Hall of Fame QB who got robbed beyond belief! The NFL does not and sadly they believe this furor will die down in a few days and then business as usual! I am done with the NFL and it's incompetent and sometimes biased refs. This was frankly maybe the most aggregeous call in a critical game I have ever seen in my 70 plus years on this earth! I'd say the same thing if it was against the Rams for right is right and this is nowhere near acceptable.

4. As mentioned many times in tge past. The ability to red flag a call or noncall, just like any other ruling challenge.

It's easy they have more than enough technology.

High speed 4k or even 8k cameras and TV's that are reviewable by refs.

Implementation of an artificial intelligence that watches the entire field for penalties and a head ref who watches that from the booth to step in and tell the ref on the field to drop a flag so it can be done in real time or to tell the AI that it's not a proper flaggable offense.

As a software developer, I agree completely that they need to put more technology into it. We can figure out exactly where every person on the field is, plus the ball.

Ditto allowing coaches to throw the red flag to call or challenge penalties. Heck, let them throw it any time they see something they think the refs miss. Use the replays, use AI or other software, but for pete's sake get it right before continuing the game.

As a software developer, I agree completely that they need to put more technology into it. We can figure out exactly where every person on the field is, plus the ball.

Ditto allowing coaches to throw the red flag to call or challenge penalties. Heck, let them throw it any time they see something they think the refs miss. Use the replays, use AI or other software, but for pete's sake get it right before continuing the game.
I'm in the same industry and often wonder why the NFL refuses to leverage the tech that is currently available for things that can be left to interpretation like spotting the ball, etc. This shouldn't be questionable, it should be precise. It honestly blows my mind.

Fire the officials we have on tape who watched the play and didn't throw a flag.

Give us our 1st round pick back from years ago.

I have lost all respect for the NFL. The last bit of respect I had was exhausted over this episode. Right now I am not going to post I am over the NFL, but I will say I will not spend any more of my hard earned money to support it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom