Here's what many casual fans fail to realize (Drew Brees & Offense) (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Breaking News Guys!

Drew Brees is still an elite QB and (even at his age) better than 90-95% of all starting QBs in the league. The numbers speak for themselves.

Now, that's out of the way, i want to talk a little bit about the position. The QB. As we all know, they are the team leaders, the superstars, usually the face of the organization, deservedly they get most of the credit (when they win) because they shoulder the lion share of the responsibility for the team's success on the field and they are the player liaison between the coaching staff and the rest of the team. So yeah, they make the big bucks and rightfully so...

But... I like to compare the QB position to a married man's performance at work. This married guy can be a great employee for several years at wherever he may work. He'll do whatever is asked. Team player. Well liked by colleagues and superiors. But if he is having problems at home, you may not see it today or tomorrow but eventually down the line it will show in his work. No matter how hard he may try to mask it. It will eat away at him and cause others to think there is something wrong with him physically that's not allowing him to perform at usual standards.

If you haven't guessed the married man's troubled home life circumstances is represented by our offensive line! Yes! The O-line is the perfect marriage to the QB and just like in the real world, if the wife (home life) is not happy or deficient then your life will show it. Big Time!
That's what we see from our offensive standpoint. Drew Brees has not had consistent O-line play since the Nicks/Evans days. Our interior line has been a mix bag of inconsistent play, injuries & overall neglect and lack of talent for several years.

We've managed to win games and be somewhat successful because of the schematic brilliance of Coach Payton and the elite play of Brees. But, too many times, in crucial situations & big games. Those blown assignments and 1 v 1/loss catch up to us. The O-line is a thankless job unfortunately but is absolutely the most essential part of a team. If those big guys up front kick a$$ and do their job a team can win despite having a very avg QB... Just ask the 2000 Ravens. Trent Dilfer couldn't spell the word quarterback but he is a champion. Go figure. Of course he had an all world defense but the bottom line is on offense they were able to be efficient and dictate their style of offense because of their o-line play.

Drew Brees can still dissect any team to shreds if he has the protection to do so. Period, end of story. He's proven it, time and time again. We all know that interior pressure effects him more than edge pressure so i cannot understand why our brass does not value the lunch pale guys more. :facts3:
For whatever reason we seem to rather take an OT and try to make him an OG. Why? I don't get it. O-line flexibility is important but in today's game against these Aaron Donald type of interior rushers, you either gotta have some manster players (like we had with Nicks/Evans) or a helluva interior blocking scheme. Right now we have neither....

Hopefully OG is high on the priority list in both free agency and in the draft. Our young center looks promising but Peat is a swing and a miss and Warford is only slightly above avg.

Breaking News Guys!

Drew Brees is still an elite QB and (even at his age) better than 90-95% of all starting QBs in the league. The numbers speak for themselves.

Now, that's out of the way, i want to talk a little bit about the position. The QB. As we all know, they are the team leaders, the superstars, usually the face of the organization, deservedly they get most of the credit (when they win) because they shoulder the lion share of the responsibility for the team's success on the field and they are the player liaison between the coaching staff and the rest of the team. So yeah, they make the big bucks and rightfully so...

But... I like to compare the QB position to a married man's performance at work. This married guy can be a great employee for several years at wherever he may work. He'll do whatever is asked. Team player. Well liked by colleagues and superiors. But if he is having problems at home, you may not see it today or tomorrow but eventually down the line it will show in his work. No matter how hard he may try to mask it. It will eat away at him and cause others to think there is something wrong with him physically that's not allowing him to perform at usual standards.

If you haven't guessed the married man's troubled home life circumstances is represented by our offensive line! Yes! The O-line is the perfect marriage to the QB and just like in the real world, if the wife (home life) is not happy or deficient then your life will show it. Big Time!
That's what we see from our offensive standpoint. Drew Brees has not had consistent O-line play since the Nicks/Evans days. Our interior line has been a mix bag of inconsistent play, injuries & overall neglect and lack of talent for several years.

We've managed to win games and be somewhat successful because of the schematic brilliance of Coach Payton and the elite play of Brees. But, too many times, in crucial situations & big games. Those blown assignments and 1 v 1/loss catch up to us. The O-line is a thankless job unfortunately but is absolutely the most essential part of a team. If those big guys up front kick a$$ and do their job a team can win despite having a very avg QB... Just ask the 2000 Ravens. Trent Dilfer couldn't spell the word quarterback but he is a champion. Go figure. Of course he had an all world defense but the bottom line is on offense they were able to be efficient and dictate their style of offense because of their o-line play.

Drew Brees can still dissect any team to shreds if he has the protection to do so. Period, end of story. He's proven it, time and time again. We all know that interior pressure effects him more than edge pressure so i cannot understand why our brass does not value the lunch pale guys more. :facts3:
For whatever reason we seem to rather take an OT and try to make him an OG. Why? I don't get it. O-line flexibility is important but in today's game against these Aaron Donald type of interior rushers, you either gotta have some manster players (like we had with Nicks/Evans) or a helluva interior blocking scheme. Right now we have neither....

Hopefully OG is high on the priority list in both free agency and in the draft. Our young center looks promising but Peat is a swing and a miss and Warford is only slightly above avg.
The current incarnation of the OL has done a pretty good job overall minus the Vikings game and that was on the fact Zimmer had a great wrinkle that Payton was slow to adjust to, plus the fact they stuck too long with Andrus Peat who was too shaky coming off the long hiatus. You could argue that Peat shouldn't even have played at that point. At a minimum probably should have been pulled.

Last few years also when we've decided to run they do a good job of opening holes.

I think they are light years ahead of where we were right after Carl Nicks and Jonathan Goodwin left when they were trotting out the likes of Brian De Le Puente and Tim Lelito. Early on in Ingram's career he was dodging defenders in the backfield and the OL couldn't hold the LOS very well. You no longer really see that kind of disruption even when we play really stout defenses. There was a point Payton had so little faith in picking up a yard that he was running exotic sweeps and reverses on 3rd and 1 with the likes of Josh Hill.

Anyway, it was a bad game for the interior OL but for the last 3 years as a whole it's kind of an outlier and a function of getting out coached on scheme. This is a very good run blocking OL if anyone would ever think of emphasizing that.

They do need to look at moving on from Peat because he's always hurt and inconsistent. Any team is built from the inside out or should be and you can never have enough flexible talent on the OL. Everything else will flow from it so I would have no problem if they spend some capital there this off season. It's never a bad idea, though you can quibble about trade offs on needs.

And, of course, once Peat leaves he'll probably suddenly be a consistent and healthy 16 game player.

Last edited:
The current incarnation of the OL has done a pretty good job overall minus the Vikings game and that was on the fact Zimmer had a great wrinkle that Payton was slow to adjust to, plus the fact they stuck too long with Andrus Peat who was too shaky coming off the long hiatus. You could argue that Peat shouldn't even have played at that point. At a minimum probably should have been pulled.

Last few years also when we've decided to run they do a good job of opening holes.

I think they are light years ahead of where we were right after Carl Nicks and Jonathan Goodwin left when they were trotting out the likes of Brian De Le Puente and Tim Lelito. Early on in Ingram's career he was dodging defenders in the backfield and the OL couldn't hold the LOS very well. You no longer really see that kind of disruption even when we play really stout defenses. There was a point Payton had so little faith in picking up a yard that he was running exotic sweeps and reverses on 3rd and 1 with the likes of Josh Hill.

Anyway, it was a bad game for the interior OL but for the last 3 years as a whole it's kind of an outlier and a function of getting out coached on scheme. This is a very good run blocking OL if anyone would ever think of emphasizing that.

They do need to look at moving on from Peat because he's always hurt and inconsistent. Any team is built from the inside out or should be and you can never have enough flexible talent on the OL. Everything else will flow from it so I would have no problem if they spend some capital there this off season. It's never a bad idea, though you can quibble about trade offs on needs.

And, of course, once Peat leaves he'll probably suddenly be a consistent and healthy 16 game player.

Agreed. The line as a whole has been better the last few years and the Vikings did what any good team should do and the exposed the weakness. We all are ready to move on from Peat due to numerous reasons from inconsistency, injury history and potentially price. If his strength is run blocking, can he shift to RG? Put him between Ram and McCoy and let him maul people.

The run vs pass ration needs to be looked at. Yes, Drew Brees is still an elite QB but the team can't always rely just on his arm to always win. He can no longer pass 32+ times a game and only run the ball 18 times a game against an elite team in the playoffs.

The offense is stale and SP needs to adjust with the running game. Teams have also figured out the screen pass to Kamara.

The run vs pass ration needs to be looked at. Yes, Drew Brees is still an elite QB but the team can't always rely just on his arm to always win. He can no longer pass 32+ times a game and only run the ball 18 times a game against an elite team in the playoffs.

The offense is stale and SP needs to adjust with the running game. Teams have also figured out the screen pass to Kamara.

Besides the playoff game we were the highest scoring team the last 5 weeks but yeah the offense was stale.:rolleyes:

Good points but his age still complicates the process. For the record, I'm not a Drew can't play anymore advocate. I just feel we are at a crossroads with an aging QB with 2 viable replacements behind Drew. I think it's better to move forward before there's an obvious decline than wait. We have several holes to fill, so can we fix the guard problem in one year?

But lost the one that counted. I'm not one to argue with fellow Saints fans but I do notice a common theme with you is that you sometimes tend to troll on your fellow Saints. I wish you nothing but happiness. Thanks, make it a great day.
I'm trolling by stating a fact?

Agreed. The line as a whole has been better the last few years and the Vikings did what any good team should do and the exposed the weakness. We all are ready to move on from Peat due to numerous reasons from inconsistency, injury history and potentially price. If his strength is run blocking, can he shift to RG? Put him between Ram and McCoy and let him maul people.

I was a big Peat fan until this year. He can't stay healthy and I think his confidence has eroded, I really feel the Saints should let him walk. The offensive line was at its best when Easton was playing....

Breaking News Guys!

tenor.gif

Stats don't always tell the whole story.
Bridgewater 5-0....100% A+
Brees 8-4....66.7%....D

But we all know Brees is better.
Both had the same oline and D.
One had use of taysom hill.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom