Hey, Dads, where are all the Webb threads? (1 Viewer)

Some would also say that actions are a better indication of an individual's soul.

http://www.homeofheroes.com/valor/1_Citations/07_RVN-nc/nc_19rvn_usmcS.html

Book story is definitely a smear, Webb isn't pro-NAMBLA. Expect some possibly equally irrelevant dirt to break on Allen soon, lot of reporters going after his sealed divorce records.
It wouldn't be a suprise. It was Webb that started the smear campaign with the 30 year old N-word accusations. I don't think either side should be engaing in this kind of personal attacks, but Webb shouldn't act suprised when his smear backfires and one comes his way.

Haven't seen any proof that the Webb campaign was behind the Salon/TNR/CHB (n word) articles. Not sure how much that story could even hurt him, most voters probably assumed Allen used the term before. Racism allegations have haunted Allen since his days as governor, the macaca incident just reignited the reporting.

Haven't seen any proof that the Webb campaign was behind the Salon/TNR/CHB (n word) articles. Not sure how much that story could even hurt him, most voters probably assumed Allen used the term before. Racism allegations have haunted Allen since his days as governor, the macaca incident just reignited the reporting.
Can you point to any articles dated 1994-1998 when he was govenor that accused him of being a racist?

Can you point to any articles dated 1994-1998 when he was govenor that accused him of being a racist?

Can do better by 1 year, flag story was around by 1993.

The noose story was out by 2000, not sure when it first broke.

Newsbank has a few others from wapo, can check via the state db portal with a library card. VA papers probably carried similar stories.

Allen opened up the racist accusation by his 'macaca' comment.

Then there was the whole Jewish heritage "story" which should have been a non-story, but instead just got really weird.

Can do better by 1 year, flag story was around by 1993.

The noose story was out by 2000, not sure when it first broke.

Newsbank has a few others from wapo, can check via the state db portal with a library card. VA papers probably carried similar stories.
Wow, an article about a confederate flag and one about a noose. Jim Webb has a campaign adviser who sleeps under a confederate bedspread. Is he a racist?
http://www.roanoke.com/extra/wb/57298

Jim Webb himself has promoted the “sovereignty rather than slavery” argument. http://www.jameswebb.com/speeches/confedmemorial.htm

During the nineteenth century, the issue of slavery gripped the Untited States. <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region><ST1:p< st1:country-region>Rather than confronting the slavery issue directly, federal government leaders routinely avoided the slavery debate by forming compromises that utilized popular sovereignty. Rather than dictating whether or not a territory or state would or would not have slavery, government officials permitted people residing within a territory or state to decide the issue for themselves by popular vote. Does that make Webb a racist?<?XML:NAMESPACE PREFIX = O /><O:p< p O:p<>

Does this accusation of using the N-word make Webb a racist?

<O:p< p O:p<>
Webb's comments to the Times-Dispatch prompted Allen campaign officials to direct a reporter to Dan Cragg, a former acquaintance of Webb's, who said Webb used the word while describing his own behavior during his freshman year at the <ST1:p<st1:placeType>University of <st1:placeName>Southern California</st1:placeName> in the early 1960s. Webb later transferred to the </I><st1:country-region><ST1:pU.S.</ST1:p<i><ST1:p<st1:placeName>Naval <st1:placeType>Academy.</st1:placeType>

Cragg, 67, who lives in Fairfax County, said on Wednesday that Webb described taking drives through the black neighborhood of <ST1:pWatts</ST1:p, where he and members of his ROTC unit used racial epithets and pointed fake guns at blacks to scare them.<O:p< O:p< font>

<I>"They would hop into their cars, and would go down to <ST1:pWatts</ST1:p with these buddies of his," Cragg said Webb told him. "They would take the rifles down there. They would call then [epithets], point the rifles at them, pull the triggers and then drive off laughing. One night, some guys caught them and beat . . . them. And that was the end of that."<O:p< O:p< font>
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/09/27/AR2006092702062.html<O:p< p O:p<>

Is Webb a racist for using the term Towel-heads?

<O:p< p O:p<>In a recent interview in the back of his campaign RV, Webb talks about how <st1:City><ST1:pHollywood</ST1:p<i><I> has lampooned the Scotch-Irish. He says he is sick of this story line. For too long, he says, poor Southern whites have been one of the few groups it's still safe to make fun of.<O:p< i O:p<>

<I>"Every movie needs a villain," Webb says. He could let the statement end there, but instead, he does a strange thing. In the midst of a Senate race marked by accusations of racial insensitivity on both sides, he says this:<O:p< i O:p<>

"Towel-heads and rednecks -- of which I am one. If you write that word, please say that. I mean, I don't use that pejoratively, I use it defensively. Towel-heads and rednecks became the easy villains in so many movies out there."<O:p< i O:p<>

Later, Webb's press secretary learns of this quote, and the next day Webb is calling a reporter from a fundraiser in <st1:City><ST1:pAtlanta</ST1:p:<O:p< i O:p<>
"I used the words that are used to stereotype them," he says, adding that he was using both terms "defensively." "I'm really upset if this is going to end up being the guppy that eats the whale here."<O:p< i O:p<>
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/17/AR2006101701585_3.html

Is Webb sexist for writing the article “Women can’t fight” in 1979?

A staple in the campaign against Webb is a 1979 article about the Naval Academy he wrote for the Washingtonian, "Women Can't Fight." It was a no-holds-barred attack on the decision to admit women to the academy, saying it "poisoned" the mission of developing combat leaders. <O:p< i O:p<>

One of many passages recited by opponents: "I have never met a woman, including the dozens of female midshipmen I encountered during my recent semester as a professor at the Naval Academy, whom I would trust to provide those men with combat leadership."<O:p< i O:p<>

"I thought it was pathetic, an attack on women," says retired Army Lt. Gen. Claudia Kennedy, who has endorsed Miller. The article was particularly influential, she adds, because it was written at a time "when it was being actively debated whether women in the military could be leaders of men. It is something that today sounds archaic."<O:p< i O:p<>
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/07/AR2006060702118_pf.html

I don’t believe either Webb or Allen are racist or sexist. It is very easy to try to use words or statements from 20 years ago to smear someone. It is even easier to get people to make up stories about someone to try to smear them. I don’t believe either side should be using these nasty tactics, but it seems like you selectively brand Allen a racist while not applying that same standard to Webb.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<O:p< p O:p< O:p<O:p<>
</O:p<></O:p<></O:p<></O:p<>
</O:p<></O:p<></O:p<>
</O:p<>
</st1:City></O:p<></O:p<>
</O:p<>
</st1:City></O:p<></O:p<></O:p<></O:p<>
</ST1:p<st1:placeName></st1:country-region></ST1:p<st1:placeType></O:p<></O:p<></ST1:p<></st1:country-region>

Last edited:
Does this accusation of using the N-word make Webb a racist?

I'm more likely to question the Cragg story since it was supplied by the Allen campaign and seems a bit bizarre. Was denied by Webb and his roommate/ROTC classmate at the time. I'm guessing Webb isn't too rah-rah aryan since he's married to a Vietnamese woman.

Is Webb a racist for using the term Towel-heads?

Hadn't seen that one, but given the context definitely not, looks to be speaking out against stereotypes.

Is Webb sexist for writing the article &#8220;Women can&#8217;t fight&#8221; in 1979?

This one definitely hurt his campaign more than the Cragg story. As far as I know, Webb is still against women serving in combat roles.

I don&#8217;t believe either Webb or Allen are racist or sexist. It is very easy to try to use words or statements from 20 years ago to smear someone. It is even easier to get people to make up stories about someone to try to smear them. I don&#8217;t believe either side should be using these nasty tactics, but it seems like you selectively brand Allen a racist while not applying that same standard to Webb.

I only stated that allegations of racism have followed Allen throughout his career, which they have. Check LexisNexis if you'd like more results than Newsbank. Since there are multiple reports (and video) of Allen using racial slurs I'm inclined to believe he's used racial slurs. Webb (and everyone in this thread) probably has also, though perhaps in more innocent context.

Racism wouldn't sway my vote for Allen since I disagree with so many of his acknowledged positions, but I'm glad it killed his presidential hopes. Macaca could've been the worst political blunder of the year.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom