Hey Sportscasters, can we please stop calling players "Hall of Famer" when they're not? (1 Viewer)

Hey, NFL Network, you could actually pass a ban on this bogus manufactured title in the corner of the world that you own. It's your league. It's your channel. It's your Hall of Fame. Make it happen.

I don't think they really think it's that big of a deal :shrug:

If the Commisioner wouldn't have decided to add a prerequisite that was never considered before, morality, to the HOF, Rose would be a shoe in. Considering the drunks, drug addicts, etc that are in the HOF, I consider Rose to be in as well....even if it's not official.

Except that's not how it went down.

Rose violated a clearly outlined rule of baseball with clearly outlined consequences. He was banned from baseball forever because that was the prescribed consequence of violating the rule he clearly violated. The Baseball HOF requires a player to be in "good standing" with the MLB for induction. The standards for "good standing" are this
1) Don't be on the baseball permanently ineligible to play list

Pete Rose and Pete Rose fans can crybag all they want but the fact is he violated a clearly outlined rule with a clearly outlined punishment, and it resulted in said punishment which, by it's nature, made him ineligible for the HOF.

Just now on the Falcons/Packers game: "Future Hall of Famer Tony Gonzalez."

Is somebody keeping track and making a list of who all these unofficial "Future Hall of Famers" are?

I think they ought to do the same thing with this that the Associated Press did with the "First Woman" unofficial title back in the early 1980s.

It had become a trite and over-used expression and an unofficial title in newspaper stories...First Woman Firefighter...First Woman State Trooper...etc...

So, Associated Press put out a style bulletin, essentially telling writers not to use that expression anymore. Its day was over. Having women in those positions was NORMAL.

They should do the same thing with this "Future Hall of Famer" bogus title.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom