Hicks vs. Brockers (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Ht. Wt. Arm lgth. Hand. 40. 3cone. 20 shtl. Bench. Vert. Broad

Brock. 6' 5" 322. 35" 9.1" 5.36. 7.46 4.81. 19. 26.5" 105"

Hicks. 6'5" 318. 35.1" 10.2" 5.23. 7.75. 4.86. 26. 31.5" 108"

I know Brockers went up against a whole different caliber of players, but Hicks was slated to attend LSU. A lot of people think we took him too early, but most boards I have read indicated he was anywhere from a 3rd to a 5th. Hicks is faster, stronger, has huge hands and a better vertical. He also looks more agile on the field when you look at tape on both of them. Add to that his determination to keep playing football despite the road blocks he had faced, the interview from last night ( very well spoken and intelligent) and the fact he already knows one of his weaknesses technique wise (plays high sometimes) and he said hes already working on that, I think we have a player, a big talented HUNGRY player. I like the pick.

Les Miles and the rest of this mornings NFL Network panel said if he would've played at LSU he would easily be a top 10 pick this year. Miles said with the coaches we have he could be starting very quickly. The whole panel agreed we got a huge steal!!!

Les Miles and the rest of this mornings NFL Network panel said if he would've played at LSU he would easily be a top 10 pick this year. Miles said with the coaches we have he could be starting very quickly. The whole panel agreed we got a huge steal!!!

Yep. And to add even more contrast, Al Woods had measurables that rivaled those two and had top flight coaching and college competition. He did almost nothing in college and even less in the NFL. Its all about the player.

Only people who think he was a bad pick are people who never heard of him or are judging him by the college he attended...coaches and analyst alike love the pick and see nothing but upside in the guy...every player drafted is a project so I take skeptics opinion with a grain of salt

From a Canadian article:

Had Hicks remained at LSU, agent Frank Murtha believes his client would've been a bona fide first-round prospect much like Michael Brockers, the highly regarded Tigers defensive tackle.
"If Akiem had stayed at LSU, we'd be talking more about him more than Brockers," Frank Murtha said. "Don't get me wrong, he (Brockers) is a tremendous player but I don't think he's the athlete Akiem is.
"The team that drafts Akiem, from a scouting standpoint, the first thing they'll get is what we call a high-ceiling guy. He's someone who projects to have tremendous potential and is enormously capable and talented. They'll get someone who isn't a completely unmoulded piece of clay."
Murtha knows something about football talent. He represents 13 current NFL players, including former CFL kicker Justin Medlock (Carolina Panthers), Jacksonville Jaguars centre Brad Meester and Chicago Bears receiver Johnny Knox. He also served as former major-league pitcher Randy Johnson's agent.

Akiem Hicks's path to the 2012 NFL draft has been a long, sometimes bizarre one - Winnipeg Free Press

He was at the top of the list on the Saints draft board when the pick came and they picked him...that's all that matters.
Vitt and Spags both sounded excited to get him. I can't wait to see the kid play.

A taller, slimmer, faster, younger, version of Shaun Rogers.....that isn't lazy.

The highlights I saw, it looks like he has sideline-to-sideline speed. We have a ton of talent on the d-line now. Spagnuolo should be able to get these guys going.

He can be as good as he wants to be. From what I've learned, he seems very driven and has a good work ethic. His main "weakness" is that he just hasn't been in a top shelf program and he hasn't played against top shelf talent. That just changed for him so we'll see how hard he works to learn the techniques he needs to learn. He's got the physical ability, it's just a matter of getting the reps to really learn the game.

Ht. Wt. Arm lgth. Hand. 40. 3cone. 20 shtl. Bench. Vert. Broad

Brock. 6' 5" 322. 35" 9.1" 5.36. 7.46 4.81. 19. 26.5" 105"

Hicks. 6'5" 318. 35.1" 10.2" 5.23. 7.75. 4.86. 26. 31.5" 108"

I know Brockers went up against a whole different caliber of players, but Hicks was slated to attend LSU. A lot of people think we took him too early, but most boards I have read indicated he was anywhere from a 3rd to a 5th. Hicks is faster, stronger, has huge hands and a better vertical. He also looks more agile on the field when you look at tape on both of them. Add to that his determination to keep playing football despite the road blocks he had faced, the interview from last night ( very well spoken and intelligent) and the fact he already knows one of his weaknesses technique wise (plays high sometimes) and he said hes already working on that, I think we have a player, a big talented HUNGRY player. I like the pick.

My bad on the red thumb. I like the pick as well. Thanks for the info.
mb

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom