High School Reunions (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
So, didn't really like high school, but thinking about going to the next reunion. It would be good to catch up.

What's your take on reunions, good, bad, and/or ugly? Was It worth going, or better things to do?

1626559577275.png

So, didn't really like high school, but thinking about going to the next reunion. It would be good to catch up.

What's your take on reunions, good, bad, and/or ugly? Was It worth going, or better things to do?

1626559577275.png
Our class has had a couple, but each time it wasn't feasible for me. Idk if I'll ever make to one at this point. I suppose the next one would be 40 years, which would be 2029. Being 1000 miles away doesn't help. Lol.

I've gone with Primadox to hers, but never to mine. We went to the same high school, but graduated different years. The thing is I had a lot of people in her class who were pretty close friends while I hardly even knew many people in my class. That's because I moved in there my Junior year from Oklahoma and the Science, Math, and Social Studies classes lined up differently so I wasn't with my own graduating class for a lot of my classes, but with the class either ahead of me or behind me.
I would definitely feel out of place at my class' reunions, but have felt very comfortable at all of hers that we've attended.

Went to my 10th
It was fine
I was still performing full time so I was in much better shape than 98% of the class
My (all boys) school is known for networking so relationships were pretty much the same
None of my immediate group was there, but it was still good to connect with the ones I remembered
Since then I’ve only gone to one other semi-official gathering

Went to 10 then missed 20 and 30. Not sure if we will have a 40 but I'd go.

I loved high school so I am biased

My 20th is supposed to be this October. Haven't decided if I intend to go yet. I went to an informal 5-year, signed up and paid to go to the 10-year but actually forgot about it until after it happened, lol.

Social media would seem to cut down on the allure of reunions, no?
Maybe, but really, I haven't kept up with any old classmates through social media. A few here and there from college. Maybe a handful from HS. Even the ones I'm connected with, I very rarely talk with. So, I think a reunion would be useful for reconnecting. Idk. Never been to one tho.

Googled and found this bit on Quora....

"What was driven home to me from these high school reunions— aside from the truism that life eventually kicks everybody’s arse—- is this: Everyone had sought to attain, as an adult, the things they had lacked as a kid, whether status, beauty, sex, talents, grace, nice clothes, money, rank… or simply a functional, peaceful home with nobody abusive and alcoholic in it."

Do you think this is true? Whatever we didn't have at home growing up, we sought after as adults?

I didn't like them in school. I doubt I'll like them out of school

You must of had friends, or some good memories, right?

I don't know what it is, but feel like I should attend at least once, just to see old classmates, and see if they stayed the same, or changed. Also, I went to a school that was pretty prestigious as far as high schools go, so just to hear some more amazing stories.

One time after surfing, I ran into an old classmate, and he said, he went to the reunion and all the ladies were married. Like this was a bad thing?!?! lol. I was a little embarrassed about being recognized to be honest, since I didn't really like high school, and wanted to bury all memories.

Now maybe, just to say, hi and acknowledge my past. Does that make sense? I don't know. Maybe like when Luke Skywalker had to face Darth Vader, for the last time. lol

Googled and found this bit on Quora....

"What was driven home to me from these high school reunions— aside from the truism that life eventually kicks everybody’s arse—- is this: Everyone had sought to attain, as an adult, the things they had lacked as a kid, whether status, beauty, sex, talents, grace, nice clothes, money, rank… or simply a functional, peaceful home with nobody abusive and alcoholic in it."

Do you think this is true? Whatever we didn't have at home growing up, we sought after as adults?
mmm...that feels more like a fiction writer trying to fit a frame on an experience
1st we adapt to situation
so if your situation is similar to how you were raised, you're going to make similar choices bc that's how you were (unconsciously, mostly) taught
if you make a deliberate attempt to change your situation, you on't have the same stimuli around (like if you grew up in a small town but moved to big city), but you'll always have the habituated learning you picked up from watching your parents, et al - it takes very deliberate energy and guidance to unlearn stuff you picked up as a kid

mostly what happens is that you exchange updated stories with people you knew __ # of years ago, but you slot into old dynamics bc no one is going to take the time to learn how to deal with the older version of each other bc it's only one night

Grosse Point Blank is a decent look at high school reunions even though it's an action comedy

mmm...that feels more like a fiction writer trying to fit a frame on an experience
1st we adapt to situation
so if your situation is similar to how you were raised, you're going to make similar choices bc that's how you were (unconsciously, mostly) taught
if you make a deliberate attempt to change your situation, you on't have the same stimuli around (like if you grew up in a small town but moved to big city), but you'll always have the habituated learning you picked up from watching your parents, et al - it takes very deliberate energy and guidance to unlearn stuff you picked up as a kid

mostly what happens is that you exchange updated stories with people you knew __ # of years ago, but you slot into old dynamics bc no one is going to take the time to learn how to deal with the older version of each other bc it's only one night

Grosse Point Blank is a decent look at high school reunions even though it's an action comedy

Maybe so, but it had a ring of truth in it for me.

How was your reunion, was it shocking meeting old classmates, fun, or just "fine"?

You must of had friends, or some good memories, right?

I don't know what it is, but feel like I should attend at least once, just to see old classmates, and see if they stayed the same, or changed. Also, I went to a school that was pretty prestigious as far as high schools go, so just to hear some more amazing stories.

One time after surfing, I ran into an old classmate, and he said, he went to the reunion and all the ladies were married. Like this was a bad thing?!?! lol. I was a little embarrassed about being recognized to be honest, since I didn't really like high school, and wanted to bury all memories.

Now maybe, just to say, hi and acknowledge my past. Does that make sense? I don't know. Maybe like when Luke Skywalker had to face Darth Vader, for the last time. lol

I was an introvert in school, mostly because of bullying, even within my then circle. Interesting enough, I broke that shell mid way through college.

I am not friends with anyone that would be at the reunion. My circle is from different years/schools.

Maybe so, but it had a ring of truth in it for me.

How was your reunion, was it shocking meeting old classmates, fun, or just "fine"?
It was ‘fine’
the consistent comment I got was ‘wow, it’s great you’re pursuing your passion’
for some time after that I thought the response should have been ‘well, why aren’t you pursuing yours’?
but after awhile I began to realize that they probably didn’t know what else to say

and something I never really thought of then, but as a teacher I think about it a lot - when did someone peak or click or actualize or whatever?
I became a VERY different person in college
some are very similar to their HS selves
if nothing else, it’s an interesting barometer about where you are on your life’s path

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom