Hill had his flaws, but... (1 Viewer)

Remember guys our current offensive install is west option route system tailored to Drews strenghts. For Hill to have success gonna have design offensive sets tailored to his skill set. RPOs/Read Options..pistol looks. And route concepts tailored to the spacing and timing of those sets and looks. Shawn mentioned it before discussing lamar jackson. He has a vision for Hill. Hill did decent using his skill set with our west coast concepts. Hes getting good reps.

Savage was exactly what we know he is: a subpar backup who has very little chance to win games and brings nothing to the table.

Hill is a UDFA in only his second NFL season having to learn the hardest position in the sport on a team with the most complex offense in the league. Whether or not he can grow enough to be a starting QB or even a career backup is a whole different case... but last night he showed a lot of potential. 8/9 for 72 yards passing and 7 attempts for 52 yards and a touchdown rushing... that's solid. He looked much better than the defense he was facing, which is exactly what you want to see from someone facing second and third stringers.

Going to be a very interesting camp and remaining three pre-season games, that is for sure.

Praying we don't have to see either one in the regular season. But... if you pointed a gun at me and made me choose right now, I'd go with Hill. Savage is no savage..

It’s hard to gauge since Savage played with mostly starters while Hill played with backups and it showed. I would really like to see him start the next game with some starters and see how he plays with some protection. He was constantly getting pressure under 3 seconds, hard to run through progressions that fast especially with back up WR’s.

People, read between the lines........He's holding for Field Goals! He ain't going anywhere. Frankly, if he couldn't run last night he would have gotten sacked about five times. the O line was terrible for him.

He does tend to run too soon but when he passes he throws a good looking ball.

We never should have let Ryan Griffin get away.

SP has built this team for the post DB era. That’s at least 3 years away. I believe Hill will be the guy then with an entirely different offense led by Hill. AK will be in his prime and watch the toys SP brings in the next few years. We will see an entirely different style offense and I’m thinking SP is salivating at the opportunity to show how genious. In the meantime Hill earns his keep on special teams

IF SP & JI & ML think that Hill could develop into an NFL QB, I'm open to having him develop under SP. However, the only running QB's that have developed into NFL caliber QB's are Steve Young (and he had to sit behind Joe Montana for significant time) and John Elway IMHO. The only other successful "ATHLETIC" QB's would be Aaron Rodgers, maybe Russel Wilson and MAYBE even less Matthew Stafford with Deshaun Jackson as another potential option if he continues to develop. Historically, running QB's (Vick, Tarkington, Rodney Pete, Cunningham, Steve McNair, Donovan McNabb, Cam Newton) Flash, but ultimately aren't SB HOF QB's.

Given the nature of NFL QB's, perhaps, we are on the transition edge the true 'running' QB as the future NFL QB, but, I'm not sold (yet). College vs Pro still means bigger hits which = more physical damage which = shorter career's which means QB's = RB which will never happen in the NFL since it is still a QB driven league. Are Multi-Billion dollar organizations going to allow the value of their investment be influenced by a position that has a shelf life of 1-3 years vs a 12+year stabilizing force? I think not.

Now, Is Hill, John Elway? No. Can we develop him into Steve Young, or Russell Wilson? I Don't know. Should we? Perhaps, It's only the his first PRESEASON game with us.

SP has built this team for the post DB era. That’s at least 3 years away. I believe Hill will be the guy then with an entirely different offense led by Hill. AK will be in his prime and watch the toys SP brings in the next few years. We will see an entirely different style offense and I’m thinking SP is salivating at the opportunity to show how genious. In the meantime Hill earns his keep on special teams
In 3 years Hill will be 31. So you are saying we will roll with a 31 year old run first QB after Brees? Yeah, that sounds legit.

Don't like true running QB's at all, but I do like smart QB's that will dash through a huge opening and slide. Matty Poo is one of the best. He slides to protects himself from injury, often draws ticky-tack fouls. Nothing wrong with that, it's smart, he won't get hurt. If Hill can do that, I like him. If he tries to truck people, his career will be very short.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom