Hill had his flaws, but... (1 Viewer)

I don't think this is a competition, as much as it is regular training at the event taking place called training camp. They signed Savage to be the backup. They like Hill's versatility, and if he's going to be the holder, that adds a key role like punt rusher. Will Hill have some x factor RPO plays in the offense? I hope so, even as a decoy.

Wait what? He was a qb coming out of college. He was a qb in Green Bay. His qb play is what caught Sean’s attention. Through x amount of games last year he was strictly an inactive qb. Towards the end of the season they have him play Special Teams for a few weeks, during training camp he is in the room with qbs and moonlights on special teams, but because you have seen him on the field playing st more than qb his is a glorified special teams player being labeled a qb?

So his qb play got Payton's attention so much that the 1st thing he does when Hill arrives is put him on ST lol. Not exactly a ringing endorsement of his QB play

I could care less what he did in college. He's in the pros now & he's nearly 30 trying to learn to play qb. Chances are he'll never play a starting snap whether his running like a deer in preseason excites u or not

Luke McCown > Tom Savage

It always bothered me when our young QB prospects couldn’t beat McCown out for the backup job. Knowing that Savage will be the backup makes me want McCown back on our team.

At least McCown threw the ball with confidence and didn’t look scared out there.

The ironic thing about this is that Hills style of play is very reminiscent of Aaron Brooks, not totally but generally. But ABs name was drug thru the mud during most of his time with us

I suspect if Hill ever gets the starting nod, he too will get turned on after probably half a season

I think Hill may be a developmental prospect at QB. But, he can help us right now on special teams. He needs to learn to be a pocket passer to have any longevity at QB. He reminds me of John Fourcade, who loved the "option" as it was then called. RPO is just the newest term for option. That being said, I suspect that Hill will be a gadget player on extra points. There is always a threat of going for 2, and he can be quite a weapon at faking longer field goals. I wonder if he could stay in the backfield to block for punts also, and have the side toss to him as a live option. There are many chances for him to stick on special teams.

Last edited:
Luke McCown > Tom Savage

It always bothered me when our young QB prospects couldn’t beat McCown out for the backup job. Knowing that Savage will be the backup makes me want McCown back on our team.

At least McCown threw the ball with confidence and didn’t look scared out there.

Lol if Savage was scared & lacked confidence then I doubt he would've completed a single pass

Remember guys our current offensive install is west option route system tailored to Drews strenghts. For Hill to have success gonna have design offensive sets tailored to his skill set. RPOs/Read Options..pistol looks. And route concepts tailored to the spacing and timing of those sets and looks. Shawn mentioned it before discussing lamar jackson. He has a vision for Hill. Hill did decent using his skill set with our west coast concepts. Hes getting good reps.

Ding ding ding great Post

Tonight's game perhaps?

The prospect of ur "future qb" getting hurt halfway thru a future season gives u hope?

Apparently he didn't learn much from those, so why put so much trust in him in an actual game? Bcuz he can give u a couple good looking RPOs a game?

You seem like a knowledgeable guy, you can’t tell me that you don’t understand that having RPO schemes in that we could deploy anytime helps us stress a defence. The defence can only gameplay for so much, one of our keys to success is multiple concepts in multiple formations and with different personnel. The ability to have plays designed for Hill not only on Offence but also Special Teams plays is huge and forced the opposing team to work harder to scout it all, Even at the pro level you can only get so much in in a week.

The more we can throw at a defence to make them question instead of diagnose, the better.

I’m not saying he is the saviour, nor does he have to run the ball every play. He has 100% more upside and potential than Savage that is for sure. savage was OK but he won’t win you games. Hill had a better game with lower depth players. We will see how he looks Friday with hopefully the first team. That will be where we see the difference between savage and hill.

Ding ding ding great Post

You seem like a knowledgeable guy, you can’t tell me that you don’t understand that having RPO schemes in that we could deploy anytime helps us stress a defence. The defence can only gameplay for so much, one of our keys to success is multiple concepts in multiple formations and with different personnel. The ability to have plays designed for Hill not only on Offence but also Special Teams plays is huge and forced the opposing team to work harder to scout it all, Even at the pro level you can only get so much in in a week.

The more we can throw at a defence to make them question instead of diagnose, the better.

I’m not saying he is the saviour, nor does he have to run the ball every play. He has 100% more upside and potential than Savage that is for sure. savage was OK but he won’t win you games. Hill had a better game with lower depth players. We will see how he looks Friday with hopefully the first team. That will be where we see the difference between savage and hill.

All that sounds good till he gets hurt & put on IR. Are u not aware of Hill's injury history?

And Savage wouldn't have to win games for us, he'd just be doing his part in keeping the offense moving which he did the other night. An elite calibur QB, or even a running QB isn't necessarily needed to win championships. This has been proven. I think Payton is trying to build a team in the mold of the Ravens or Jags. A team with superior talent on both sides of the ball that can sustain average play @ QB. This is the rite way to go since we probably won't be seeing another Brees type on our roster for a very long time if ever

Savage was a priority signing for a reason. U say we can't win with Savage but CSP apparently thinks we can

All that sounds good till he gets hurt & put on IR. Are u not aware of Hill's injury history?

And Savage wouldn't have to win games for us, he'd just be doing his part in keeping the offense moving which he did the other night. An elite calibur QB, or even a running QB isn't necessarily needed to win championships. This has been proven. I think Payton is trying to build a team in the mold of the Ravens or Jags. A team with superior talent on both sides of the ball that can sustain average play @ QB. This is the rite way to go since we probably won't be seeing another Brees type on our roster for a very long time if ever

Savage was a priority signing for a reason. U say we can't win with Savage but CSP apparently thinks we can

Agreed that we are taking a great approach to building a team that is strong in all areas. We have seen lots of average guys win Superbowls.

I believe savage was more of a vet signing to have stability and Drew likes a veteran to bounce ideas off of. On top of that is provides sound depth to allow Payton to really see what he can get outta Hill.

Hill opens the playbook on many fronts if he can prove to execute. Doesn’t necessarily have to be QB1

Are u not aware of Savage's history of below average play in the NFL?
As is true for Hill.
As he does with Hill.

Different team different situation. Although it wasn't a breakthrough performance, do u really consider Savage's play the other night below average?

Sure, Payton thinks we can win with Hill, as a Gunner on ST

Different team different situation. Although it wasn't a breakthrough performance, do u really consider Savage's play the other night below average?
I'd say both Savage and Hill were about average. I don't see a significant difference in their overall effectiveness running the offense at this time. I see a difference in how they are effective, but not their overall effectiveness.

It's comments like this that make it seem like you are personally connected to and invested in Savage. You're going out of your way to misrepresent the reality of why Payton wanted Hill and how Hill ended up playing on special teams.

Payton signed Hill because of how he played quarterback for Green Bay last preseason. Hill didn't play a single down on special teams for Green Bay. He didn't play a single down on special teams until late in the season when they were desperate for healthy players. It worked out really well, so in typical Payton fashion he kept doing something that he felt gave him an advantage.

Payton brought Hill to the team as a QB. Payton primarily sees Hill as QB. He's using him on special teams, because he's willing to do the unconventional if he thinks it gives him an advantage. Remember the opening kickoff for the second half of their Super Bowl win? How many coaches do an onside kick to start the second half of a regular game, let alone the Super Bowl. Payton takes chances other coaches don't, so it's flawed to assume that Hill is only playing special teams because Payton doesn't seem his as a viable QB. Payton routinely does the unconventional. He seems to thrive on it.

I would argue he has been the only backup QB to actually “flash” something special during the preseason in the SP era.

He had some really nice moments tonight.

He did seem to settle in the as the game went on... he had a good couple days of practice after.

The guy is raw and has a lot of potential for improvement... but, I’m not sure he’ll be ready to be the back up this season. We’ll see as the preseason plays out.

True story. We aren’t going to be winning much if Brees goes down.

Last edited:
You forgot to include Vince Young as quarterbacks you really like.
Ask my husband how excited I was about VY watching the rose Bowl that year. I was under the influence of Michael Vick thinking we needed a running QB. So maybe I'll shut up about Hill. (but I kinda like him)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom