Hillary in Hattiesburg (2 Viewers)

Could you vote for a ticket that includes both Obama and Clinton?

• Total voters
It's going to be Obama/Edwards

I don't support Hillary as President, but I'm now wondering who else would be in a better position of experience to assist Obama as his VP.

Just about anybody.

I won't vote for an Obama/Clinton ticket because I value his safety more than that. Better for him to let her have it and run again in 2012.

I don't support Hillary as President, but I'm now wondering who else would be in a better position of experience to assist Obama as his VP.

Bill Richardson if you're looking for executive and foreign policy experience. Jim Webb if you're wanting centrist appeal with national security credibility thrown into the bargain.

To answer the original question: Barack Obama has his own vision for the Democratic party, and it doesn't include the Clintons. That's the vision that appeals to me, and the vision I'll hold him to after the Convention. I like him more than I've liked any other presidential candidate in my lifetime, but my support is quite conditional.

I'll never forget the L.A. debate when, backed into a corner by the "dream ticket" question, Obama threw out the trite "Hillary would be on anybody's short list." He looked like he'd been forced to swallow skunk feces. The biggest question is whether or not he'd be brazen enough to defy party leaders and select his own running mate. The fallout would be tremendous.

Last edited:
It's going to be Obama/Edwards

If it was I think he'd have got Edwards endorsement by now. That's the only reason I think he has someone else in mind. Whoever it is will almost certainly be a white male. Anything else would be too much identity politics to overcome.

If it was I think he'd have got Edwards endorsement by now. That's the only reason I think he has someone else in mind. Whoever it is will almost certainly be a white male. Anything else would be too much identity politics to overcome.

I think it has to be a woman. He has already fallen out of favor with the feminist side of the party and they will flat out abandon him if he goes white male. Looking more and more like Kathleen Sebelius to me.

I think it has to be a woman. He has already fallen out of favor with the feminist side of the party and they will flat out abandon him if he goes white male. Looking more and more like Kathleen Sebelius to me.

I have always thought it could be Janet Napolitano. She came out in support of him early.

http://www.governor.state.az.us/

I see your points, guys. I was initially in favor of Obama/Edwards but I'm awaiting news on that front. I was considering Hillary's obvious power base being an asset for Obama, when it comes to "opening doors" on the Hill. As mentioned by a few talking heads, Hillary and Obama do have some similar agendas.

Last edited:
If you see a 78 year old woman with a recent facelift heckling Hillary in Hattiesburg-- it's my grandmother. She lives there and despises the Clintons.

I love your grandmother. :ezbill:

Part of me agrees, given the likely sequence of events. First Obama defeats the woman. Then he refuses to put the woman on his ticket. Picking a white man on top of all that would look like straight-up male chauvinist collusion.

Probably would have been if McCain hadn't won the GOP nomination.

I could be wrong, but I believe she is more popular in Arizona than McCain, so he could lose his home state in the general election if she was on the ticket. She would retain a lot of Hillary's "I want to vote for a woman" voters, without Clinton's accompanying baggage. She is also a good speaker who projects strength well. You have the geographic balance thing going for her as well as her popularity among Hispanics. To me, she beats Hillary straight up in terms of experience and has a better record than McCain on illegal immigration. If she isn't Obama's VP choice and McCain loses in November, she will probably challenge McCain for his Senate seat in 2010.

I agree with SaintsFan11, this is a variant on the "buy one, get one free" slogan, with Obama playing the spousal equivalent. Bill will be the de facto VP in any Hillary administration, which will not happen because she won't have the votes by June. Obama, were he Machiavellian, could take the VP slot and simply not campaign. this is what Edwards did to Kerry in 2004. Democratic leaders remember this, so Edwards will be in a cabinet at most. No one gets a second chance at VP.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom