Hindsight 20-21 QB Brees v Brady (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Hindsight is always 20/20, but knowing what we know now about how things played out between these two QBs this year, which would you have preferred happen at the end of the 2019 season: Brees stayed retired and Brady joins our squad for 2020 season, or letting Brees have this final hoorah season and flaming out against the Brady led Bucs last night?

Lay of the land: Brees was all but retired after the 2019 playoffs, even reports going so far as Brees saying his goodbyes to his teammates at the probowl. Months later, behind the scene rumors show Saints courting Brady, potentially pairing Payton and Brady for Brady's late career push. Brees, hearing this decides to try one more time for his ring, and comes back. Brady ends up joining Bucs..

Knowing what we know now, do we push Brees out the door, assuming he'd be done after this year anyway, and knowing Brady has stated he wants to play at least until 45 and sacrificing longterm for short term? Brees came back under the notion that he didn't want Brady coming into his house and breaking his records in his own home, on top of wanting a chip, but costed us this year as well as future years with this loaded roster.

Brady clearly has the better arm at this stage of his career and states he wants to play several more seasons. This years Brady with this offense, and defense probably takes us further than the divisional round of the playoffs. Now we're stuck next year against a well versed and comfortable Brady and Co with question marks on our roster. Did we make a mistake letting Brees come back?

Last edited:
Excellent question. Going to give it careful consideration.

It would of been a weird and uncomfortable scenario. Think about this. Brady coming in to Brees team and take and win the Super Bowl for us. What would the talking head say? "Brees can't bring his team to the Super Bowl, but Brady can?" How would you think Brees feel and about his legacy here in New Orleans? That's something I am glad we don't have to answer.

It would of been a weird and uncomfortable scenario. Think about this. Brady coming in to Brees team and take and win the Super Bowl for us. What would the talking head say? "Brees can't bring his team to the Super Bowl, but Brady can?" How would you think Brees feel and about his legacy here in New Orleans? That's something I am glad we don't have to answer.

totally hear ya, but I believe brees legacy is already intact. As fans it's sort of ingrained in that we should want Super Bowl rings at all costs. I look at it as, if Brady came and won us a ring, I'd have held both QBs in high regard separately.

I know what the talking heads would say unfortunately, but the GOAT debate is already answered. Brees legacy won't be impacted due to already giving us a ring

I am a Saints fan, first and foremost. If bringing Cam Newton here was going to win us a Super Bowl, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I love and respect Drew Brees and I certainly appreciate the sentiment football expressed above. Sadly, however, history will probably say that Drew went on at least one season too long. Indeed, the writing was on the wall after another thoroughly underwhelming post-season outing against the Vikings in the Wild Card round last year, for which people too readily laid the blame exclusively at the feet of our O-Line.

Brady is clearly past his prime too and has struggled with interior pressure, perhaps even more so than Drew at times. However, the difference is that he is still a viable threat to push the ball down the field. That doesn't mean he has to do it all that often - but the fact it remains a possible would have kept a defence honest, unlike what we saw yesterday.

I am glad Payton gave Brees the choice to come back, because he deserved the right to make that decision. But with the benefit of hindsight, and even knowing what we knew 12 months ago, I think it's pretty obvious Brady would have given us a better shot to win it all this season.

Same side of the coin in the argument is we’d probably have a playoff caliber team next year as well (barring a drastic fall off from Brady), and not having to worry about the Bucs (our only competition in the south next year)

I am a Saints fan, first and foremost. If bringing Cam Newton here was going to win us a Super Bowl, I would do it in a heartbeat.

I love and respect Drew Brees and I certainly appreciate the sentiment football expressed above. Sadly, however, history will probably say that Drew went on at least one season too long. Indeed, the writing was on the wall after another thoroughly underwhelming post-season outing against the Vikings in the Wild Card round last year, for which people too readily laid the blame exclusively at the feet of our O-Line.

Brady is clearly past his prime too and has struggled with interior pressure, perhaps even more so than Drew at times. However, the difference is that he is still a viable threat to push the ball down the field. That doesn't mean he has to do it all that often - but the fact it remains a possible would have kept a defence honest, unlike what we saw yesterday.

I am glad Payton gave Brees the choice to come back, because he deserved the right to make that decision. But with the benefit of hindsight, and even knowing what we knew 12 months ago, I think it's pretty obvious Brady would have given us a better shot to win it all this season.
I liked this post, but Newton is where I would draw the line. I despise that dude and I know he couldn't win the SB anyway. I am 100 times more a Saints fan than I am any player fan, to me, they are all expendable. I think about how some of Brees' fans think of him and I am reminded of that old Eddie Murphy's Janet Jackson joke from Raw:

"I know he used to do sheet for you, but what has he done for you lately?"

Hindsight is always 20/20, but knowing what we know now about how things played out between these two QBs this year, which would you have preferred happen at the end of the 2019 season: Brees stayed retired and Brady joins our squad for 2020 season, or letting Brees have this final hoorah season and flaming out against the Brady led Bucs last night?

Lay of the land: Brees was all but retired after the 2019 playoffs, even reports going so far as Brees saying his goodbyes to his teammates at the probowl. Months later, behind the scene rumors show Saints courting Brady, potentially pairing Payton and Brady for Brady's late career push. Brees, hearing this decides to try one more time for his ring, and comes back. Brady ends up joining Bucs..

Knowing what we know now, do we push Brees out the door, assuming he'd be done after this year anyway, and knowing Brady has stated he wants to play at least until 45 and sacrificing longterm for short term? Brees came back under the notion that he didn't want Brady coming into his house and breaking his records in his own home, on top of wanting a chip, but costed us this year as well as future years with this loaded roster.

Brady clearly has the better arm at this stage of his career and states he wants to play several more seasons. This years Brady with this offense, and defense probably takes us further than the divisional round of the playoffs. Now we're stuck next year against a well versed and comfortable Brady and Co with question marks on our roster. Did we make a mistake letting Brees come back?

If Drew wanted to come back, you let him come back. But if he had chose retirement, I have no doubt we would be playing Green Bay in Lambeau. We are the better team than Tampa. We just weren’t healthy. They have the better QB as well. But Payton and Brady would have fit like a glove.

Brady’s bread and butter is the dink and dunk and hitting RBs out of the backfield, not the deep ball. That’s Arians, which is why Brady has struggled at times.

Payton excels in the short and intermediate game. Brady would have fed Kamara and Sanders until Thomas was healthy or maybe Thomas doesn’t even get hurt since we likely blow Tampa out. And you could argue Thomas and Sanders are better than Evans/Godwin. We have the better OL as well.

No doubt about it. We would be playing Green Bay if Brady came here and Brees had retired.

I'm as big a Brees fan as anyone. But I noted in several threads after last season that it was as good a time as any for him to retire. His amazing accomplishments were already complete. I was not disappointed when he decided to return, but without his ability to succeed with more than an occasional deep pass, I knew like many others here that better defenses in the league would create situations hard to overcome. Basically, as we have seen much to often, they stack the box and only have to defend short and mid-range passes because the deep throws are almost certainly not even scripted anymore (unless Taysom is in).

As for Brady. Never cared for him, especially a dislike for his annoying petty whining.

Honest analysis: In the end Brady was the better QB this year. Although much like Brees I do not like the fact that neither are mobile anymore (Brady never was). In todays pass happy game mobility is critical to extend plays, so I would not have been a fan of bringing in Brady to replace Brees. The minute Brees said, I want to play another year, based on what he has done for this organization, I don't think anyone could have faced him and said; No Drew, your time here is up. He earned that right by carrying this team on his back, even more so during a lot of defenseless seasons when he was all we had.

But having said all that, and based on how surprisingly well Brady has managed to play, he would have been the better option this season. I mean, I think Brady probably has us playing Green Bay next Sunday, in our dome as the #1 seed, for the conference championship. Much to my surprise I have to admit that the old jerk can still toss the ball around very well and he still has a nice deep ball too.

Career wise though, I don't think Brady could not have accomplished in New Orleans all that Drew has. Those lean years here would have probably ate Tommy boy alive. Pretty sure - Drew will go down as the best to have ever put on a Saints jersey.

Brees came back under the notion that he didn't want Brady coming into his house and breaking his records in his own home, on top of wanting a chip, but costed us this year as well as future years with this loaded roster.
Seems you are embellishing a bit with your opinions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom