Saints Hints that Ruiz will be the center; McCoy sliding to guard (here's why) (1 Viewer)

ndcc

Saints' fan 4ever
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Sad to leave NOLA to AZ; going into ministry
Sean Payton usually plays things pretty close to his vest (as most of us know). But he let something slip out that revealed his hole cards:

1. Prior to the draft, there was discussion that the Saints weren't thrilled about Eric McCoy's ability (or lack therof) to make all of the calls & adjustments on the O-line. The coaches gave him top marks in all areas EXCEPT in his ability to realign the O-line based on the opposing defensive front. Not alarming, but this was a concern.

2. In his post 1st round (draft) interview, Sean Payton sort of revealed his hand when he commented that Cesar Ruiz was "...able to make all the calls on the offensive line (in a tough Big 10 conference at Michigan)..." Check CSP's comments at the 4:30 mark.

Items 1 & 2 don't etch anything in stone (yet), but they may be a strong indicator of the direction the Saints will move in building a rock-solid O-line for the 2020 season.

We'll see.

:gosaints:

1. Prior to the draft, there was discussion that the Saints weren't thrilled about Eric McCoy's ability (or lack therof) to make all of the calls & adjustments on the O-line. The coaches gave him top marks in all areas EXCEPT in his ability to realign the O-line based on the opposing defensive front. Not alarming, but this was a concern.
Could somebody link me to this pre-draft discussion? Maybe I just didn't pay any attention, but the first time I heard anything about the line calls was twelve hours ago. All I heard was that the Saints wanted to address "interior OL."

honestly, I don't see what it hurts to put Ruiz there from the start of training camp. You know you have a solid plan B, but I suspect he will perform admirably as did McCoy.

I'm digging the versatility of our interior OL...Ruiz, McCoy, Easton & Tom can all play C & G; while Peat can play LG & LT. That's a LOT of depth. Still razor thin at T though. Ram's been pretty durable, but Armstead has never played an entire season....NEVER. And there's a huge drop-off behind those 2. What do we have now? Peat & Omameh? And if Peat kicks out, need to plug another guy into LG (certainly capable, but not ideal). Living on the edge there...

I'm digging the versatility of our interior OL...Ruiz, McCoy, Easton & Tom can all play C & G; while Peat can play LG & LT. That's a LOT of depth. Still razor thin at T though. Ram's been pretty durable, but Armstead has never played an entire season....NEVER. And there's a huge drop-off behind those 2. What do we have now? Peat & Omameh? And if Peat kicks out, need to plug another guy into LG (certainly capable, but not ideal). Living on the edge there...
Omameh is still a free agent. We have Ethan Greenidge and Derrick Kelly, both undrafted free agents last year. I think the Saints like what they see in one of them because they stashed Greenidge on the roster the entire season.

I think it is safe to say the either Ruiz will play G and McCoy stays at center, or it will be the other way around. You don't draft a guy like that to not start. So that leaves Warford and Easton. One of them, or perhaps even both are likely gone IMHO. I just do not think it will be Peat. They just signed him to an extension and, despite his struggles at times (mainly due to injury), his value is pretty high given his ability to slide over and play LT.

We also have Will Clapp that can also play both guard and center. I thought backup tackle was more of an immediate need if we did anything on the offensive line in the draft. Andrus Peat will be the primary backup tackle as usual. And I think we keep 3 inside backup guys in Clapp, Tom, and whoever we keep out of Warford & Easton. I don’t think we keep both those guys

Losing Unger unexpectedly, I felt like Center would be a position of concern. Then comes McCoy. Seemed to have good chemistry with Brees. Very few mistakes and an all around great season that honestly made me forget about Unger. I think that’s what is most shocking.

I was never aware that McCoy struggled with adjustments. Hopefully this new guy can step right in and offer the same seamless transition and play mistake free, snapping the ball perfectly to Brees. Looks like a great player, but there’s always a little worry when swapping players at a crucial position, at least in my mind.

I think with Peat it came down to if you lose him who out there is better. You know what you have there. Watford carrys a hefty price tag. I didnt like the pick when I heard it last night on tv but I am liking it better now.

Sean Payton usually plays things pretty close to his vest (as most of us know). But he let something slip out that revealed his hole cards:

2. In his post 1st round (draft) interview, Sean Payton sort of revealed his hand when he commented that Cesar Ruiz was "...able to make all the calls on the offensive line (in a tough Big 10 conference at Michigan)..." Check CSP's comments at the 4:30 mark.

Items 1 & 2 don't etch anything in stone (yet), but they may be a strong indicator of the direction the Saints will move in building a rock-solid O-line for the 2020 season.

We'll see.

:gosaints:

It's my understanding that Drew makes the protection calls...

When I was playing with the draft I kept looking for tackles who could move inside to guard. Last night, the first round tackles were off the board. You either need to trade up for good left tackles or you have to develop them. Peat is the best option right now.

When I was playing with the draft I kept looking for tackles who could move inside to guard. Last night, the first round tackles were off the board. You either need to trade up for good left tackles or you have to develop them. Peat is the best option right now.

I agree. My commentary is simply an observation that our injury prone LT continues to be backed up by an injury prone LG. I can't believe that hasn't bitten us in the arse more than it has. We have been lucky, and we have been warned!

Someone earlier mentioned Greenidge. I forgot about him, but he was stashed on PS, and I think we pulled him up to active roster because someone tried to poach him. Man I hope he pans out!

We have two young interior lineman, I don't think it's about ability but fit...Ruiz is a natural center and McCoy has the ability to slide over to guard and be as productive as he was at center...I think it's that simple.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom