Hodges promoted to LB coach (1 Viewer)

Its the talent at the position not the position coach as to why the linebacker play is better, Demario Davis is the difference not the position coach.
Right, but don't you think the best course of action would be to have that continuity? Opposed to possibly bringing in someone who wants to make a lot of changes.

Its the talent at the position not the position coach as to why the linebacker play is better, Demario Davis is the difference not the position coach.

Well, Demario Davis did have his best year in the NFL and it was his first time as an all-pro. He has never even made a pro-bowl. The coaches deserve some credit to his success.

AJ Klein also has had his best seasons under Nolan.

It's easy for us to say that because our old position coach is gone. Frankly, it's comforting to say that, because it means we didn't lose anything. But the truth is, Demario Davis wasn't Demario Davis as we know him until he came here and played under our dearly departed position coach. So, it's both. Time will tell if this is a good move. Hodges doesn't have anything close the resume outside of our organization that his successor did. That doesn't mean he still can't be a good coach. Hopefully he is another Ryan Nielsen, but even Nielsen had a lot thicker resume at the college ranks than Hodges.

Payton probably likes the guy because he was coaching at Eastern Illinois when we hired him (his last year there, he was elevated to Co-DC). His bio on the Saints site leads me to believe he knows what he's doing. Especially since he was a linebacker in college at aTm. Sometimes promoting from within like this is more effective than making some splash new hire. And I have to believe that being under Nolan for a few years helped him grow as a coach. The continuity will probably serve us well. I hope we manage to re-sign Klein as well. He had his most productive season of his career last season.

Last edited:
Since I've been involved in workforce analytics for 15 years, stats show clearly that when an organization loses top leaders and managers, performance suffers. imho, one of the penalties of being an elite team for multiple years in the NFL is that many of that team's top coaches get poached. And nearly all our coaches have been together for 3-years, know each other's tendencies well and communicate well. I like that we promoted from inside. Less disruption for the team and other coaches. But Nolan was superb and that is a loss.

I'm okay with the promotion but I do like the idea of former head coaches being on the staff

DD is just one player, everyone has been playing pretty solid too. Lets not forget how many defensive players we've let go over the years because they weren't performing up to par that were more successful elsewhere. Malcolm Jenkins, Akiem Hicks, Rob Ninkovich, etc. That was all on bad coaching. Mike Nolan is a proven defensive mind, his contribution to the team can't be chalked up to 1 good player covering for everyone else, especially with how injury plagued the LBs have been while he was here.

Random comment but I hope we resign Klein.
Dunno about you guys, I just felt so much better with him on the field haha.
Davis, in my eyes, was by far.. one of the best players on defense but I feel like Klein helped solidify everything.

Not true. It all starts with coaching. That said, Davis has been a great player for us, but Nolan came in and turned a position of long-time weakness into a position of strength rather quickly, even with all the injuries to that group.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom