HOF Game Cancelled (1 Viewer)

Already about to hit July and the first wave has rebounded across the country....just no way it’s going to be safe to have a season. The league would be sued to death by anyone associated with it who catches this virus.

I know we all want to be hopeful, but the chances of there being an NFL season, in any format, are looking really slim.

We just haven't done enough in this country to get this under control, from policy down to individual decisions. Unless that changes, resulting in notably better outcomes, there is no reason to think circumstances will be improved enough in two months and beyond.

I wish the nfl would be more proactive, instead of blind hope

Yep because the world is frantic about a virus that has a 99% survival rate.. believes that a .3 micro virus can be prevented by .5 micro protection masks.. and legitimately believes that the whole thing was a complete accident that the first known virus that's a "lipid" (mind you).. can survive and mutate more aggressively.

I did the smart thing and exposed myself in the 2nd month. I have anti bodies. They arent telling you right now that the actual virus mutations are causing more severe symptoms as it becomes more aware of the host itself. They arent also telling you that it never leaves your body either. That's why Fauci made the statement that the vaccine might not even work, that's why it's a nightmare

The problem is they believe that they can (prior to a vaccine).. come up with a method of prevention for it to ever attach and bind to you.

The issue with that is... they never achieved the method after x amount of years fighting against aids hiv..

So the one year is pretty bs.. just call it what it is.. let life go on..

We wont have a vaccine in less than 3 years. Guaranteed.

if you exposed yourself in Feb...you lost the antibodies sometime in April.

science.

You make solid points, but think I understand the OPs feelings. I may have come down with the virus. It's either the virus or heat exhaustion plus extreme allergies which are uncommon for me at this time of the year. They tested me 2x afterward and one test came back positive and one negative. My Doctors are in no way convinced the anti-body tests they are getting are accurate.

However, when I am in the mental place of thinking that I already had it and likely built up some anti-bodies, I do feel relieved. I also know that this thing is mutating rapidly and even if we have had it, that does not guarantee in any way protection from mutations. But it did give me some illusions of safety.

Fyi - If any of you have to get the nose test for the virus, let me share that this is not fun. They stick the swab deep up your nasal passage and are not gentle in rubbing it around. For a second, I was worried they were going to poke one of my eyes out from the inside - lol. I only wish that on Jerk-head Falcon and Cowgirl fans!
My wife and now her doctor suspects she had it in February. It knocked her down fast in 2 days she was in the hospital fighting severe pneumonia. For 4 days she was hospitalized and had to do lots of breathing treatments. She said she never experienced anything like that before. She was out of breath after walking 10 feet had a 103 degree fever and lost taste/smell the first day. God speed to you Swimmer friend hope your health stays well.

I think they lay out some important points in this segment. In particular, the NBA was first to stop and it took them seven weeks to put a reasonable scenario to restart. The first 5 minutes is the NFL part.

Actually, the mortality rate is between 7% and 11%.

That's actually not saying that the morality rate is 7%. What it says is that based on death certificate data 7% of all deaths that week were due to pnuemonia, influenza or covid-19, I wish they wouldve been more clear about that. The actual mortality rate estimates from CDC is around .2-.5%. Granted that is just an estimate because there is no way to track total infections especially considering that most people infected showed mild or no symptoms at all.

Yep because the world is frantic about a virus that has a 99% survival rate.. believes that a .3 micro virus can be prevented by .5 micro protection masks.. and legitimately believes that the whole thing was a complete accident that the first known virus that's a "lipid" (mind you).. can survive and mutate more aggressively.

I did the smart thing and exposed myself in the 2nd month. I have anti bodies. They arent telling you right now that the actual virus mutations are causing more severe symptoms as it becomes more aware of the host itself. They arent also telling you that it never leaves your body either. That's why Fauci made the statement that the vaccine might not even work, that's why it's a nightmare

The problem is they believe that they can (prior to a vaccine).. come up with a method of prevention for it to ever attach and bind to you.

The issue with that is... they never achieved the method after x amount of years fighting against aids hiv..

So the one year is pretty bs.. just call it what it is.. let life go on..

We wont have a vaccine in less than 3 years. Guaranteed.

Literally nothing in this post is true. Nothing.

I think they lay out some important points in this segment. In particular, the NBA was first to stop and it took them seven weeks to put a reasonable scenario to restart.

And that scenario for the NBA is still anything but settled.

The NFL had the most time of any sport to come up with a solid plan in the face of Covid-19 and they chose to "try and wait it out" instead.

I do think the HOF game is viewed by the league as extremely disposable. The football is typically terrible and half-hearted and the game has been cancelled before.

The issue, again, is the leagues refusal to put forth any semblance of a workable contingency plan. The fans have been left completely in the dark and it's frustrating.

I never had any thoughts that there would be any football in the fall since this whole thing started. I just knew how this country operates. People in this country were not going to make the sacrifices needed to get things under control like they have in other countries. If they can find a way to play that's great, but I just can't see it happening.

And that scenario for the NBA is still anything but settled.

The NFL had the most time of any sport to come up with a solid plan in the face of Covid-19 and they chose to "try and wait it out" instead.

I do think the HOF game is viewed by the league as extremely disposable. The football is typically terrible and half-hearted and the game has been cancelled before.

The issue, again, is the leagues refusal to put forth any semblance of a workable contingency plan. The fans have been left completely in the dark and it's frustrating.

Not meant to defend the league's handling of any of this, but football is easily the most difficult of the major sports to determine a viable path forward. Large rosters with a sizable contingency of coaching and support personnel, and a game that requires a lot of physical contact over a three hour period.

With each passing day, I think it's increasingly unlikely that we will see football this year, barring some miraculous turn of events. And that really sucks.

Not meant to defend the league's handling of any of this, but football is easily the most difficult of the major sports to determine a viable path forward. Large rosters with a sizable contingency of coaching and support personnel, and a game that requires a lot of physical contact over a three hour period.

With each passing day, I think it's increasingly unlikely that we will see football this year, barring some miraculous turn of events. And that really sucks.
Totally agree. Which is why they should have been working this out in March and not waiting for the anvil to drop on the fall season plans.

Totally agree. Which is why they should have been working this out in March and not waiting for the anvil to drop on the fall season plans.

I guess where we might differ is that I'm not sure there is ultimately much the NFL could do, no matter when they started. Whether we have football was always going to depend directly on how well this country navigated through the pandemic, and that's not within the control of the league.

Right now, there's not much that is encouraging about the prospects of a season happening. We are currently seeing surges of outbreaks around the country, and states, like Texas, already having to roll back their opening guidelines. Some experts were warning about a resurgence in the fall when conditions become even more favorable for transmission, and combined with seasonal illnesses we already have to deal with, and here we are already facing an uphill climb this summer.

Without a vaccine and a proven treatment, we don't have great options. Mitigation is still our best approach, but a lot of people are resisting those efforts.

I guess where we might differ is that I'm not sure there is ultimately much the NFL could do, no matter when they started. Whether we have football was always going to depend directly on how well this country navigated through the pandemic, and that's not within the control of the league.

Right now, there's not much that is encouraging about the prospects of a season happening. We are currently seeing surges of outbreaks around the country, and states, like Texas, already having to roll back their opening guidelines. Some experts were warning about a resurgence in the fall when conditions become even more favorable for transmission, and combined with seasonal illnesses we already have to deal with, and here we are already facing an uphill climb this summer.

Without a vaccine and a proven treatment, we don't have great options. Mitigation is still our best approach, but a lot of people are resisting those efforts.
I think a plan could be put in place, but the NFL continues to put their heads in the sand. If the league was willing to invest the money and stop this fans in the stand delusion they could come up with something. For example, players could agree to self-isolate at home and not interact with their family (for example, a player could isolate themselves in a part of the house and have all living necessities delivered to them).

I think a plan could be put in place, but the NFL continues to put their heads in the sand. If the league was willing to invest the money and stop this fans in the stand delusion they could come up with something. For example, players could agree to self-isolate at home and not interact with their family (for example, a player could isolate themselves in a part of the house and have all living necessities delivered to them).

I'm not saying it's impossible, but there are a lot of hurdles that have to be cleared, and then a lot of good fortune that cannot be counted on.

Many things might sound good in theory but challenging once implemented.

Self-isolation over the course of a season probably wouldn't be well received by players and coaches, and not adhered to for the duration, regardless. Even on a shortened season, we'd still be talking months.

And that's just a single piece of the puzzle. What contingency plan would have to be in place once a player inevitably tests positive? What effect will that have on the schedule?

I hope it can be sorted out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom