HOF Game: Raiders Vs Jaguars @ Tom Benson Stadium (1 Viewer)

Even though it's been a few years now, am I the only one who still mentally associates the HOF game with the first Sunday evening in August?
I'm an old timer. I remember the Hall of Fame game being on a Saturday afternoon on ABC on the last weekend of July. Then the following Sunday used to be the American Bowl in London. This was probably the late 80s/early 90s, I think? I remember the Saints playing in London in 1990 with John Fourcade at QB.

Even though it's been a few years now, am I the only one who still mentally associates the HOF game with the first Sunday evening in August?
No, you’re not the only one and I wish it would have stayed that way. Outside of Thanksgiving, I’m not really of fan of Thursday NFL games. I’m content waiting for Sundays and Mondays.

I'm an old timer. I remember the Hall of Fame game being on a Saturday afternoon on ABC on the last weekend of July. Then the following Sunday used to be the American Bowl in London. This was probably the late 80s/early 90s, I think? I remember the Saints playing in London in 1990 with John Fourcade at QB.
Now that you say that, I do remember games in the late 90s starting on Labor Day weekend, so it would make sense that some of those HOF games would have been in late July.

1997 in particular comes to mind, because I remember being at a family gathering on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, and the news of Princess Diana's death was being discussed repeatedly during the NFL games. Apparently it was after 2000 when they decided to get away from having the games kick off on Labor Day weekend.

Could be the footage and pics for Sam Mills as a Saint were harder to find and not the best quality. Panthers era was easier to find. Maybe that is all it is versus being disrespectful to our organization.

Now that you say that, I do remember games in the late 90s starting on Labor Day weekend, so it would make sense that some of those HOF games would have been in late July.

1997 in particular comes to mind, because I remember being at a family gathering on the Sunday of Labor Day weekend, and the news of Princess Diana's death was being discussed repeatedly during the NFL games. Apparently it was after 2000 when they decided to get away from having the games kick off on Labor Day weekend.
Didn’t we also play the Eagles in Japan once or twice in pre-season?

Speak for yourself... as long as Dusty can be talked into playing Mancini and Vázquez more than once a week im excited. Particularly if Brantley comes back healthy.
Oh god the Astros. Lol. In all seriousness what a well run franchise. Outside of that 07-15 stretch. One of the more competitive teams for 30 years in baseball

Oh god the Astros. Lol. In all seriousness what a well run franchise. Outside of that 07-15 stretch. One of the more competitive teams for 30 years in baseball
Im in Seattle now, but my Astros fandom started in 1987, shortly after my parents moved from Louisiana to Houston.
It was 91 before I actually paid more attention to the game than the arcade games in the Astrodome, Bagwell's rookie season actually.

Yep, I remember the interruption of Ditka's first game as coach to talk about Princess Di's death.

And yeah I think it was the 2000s when the start changed. It had to do with(what else) TV. Apparently the season moved to the week after Labor Day due to TV ratings being higher, I think. Although, college football seems to do well Labor Day weekend.

Im in Seattle now, but my Astros fandom started in 1987, shortly after my parents moved from Louisiana to Houston.
It was 91 before I actually paid more attention to the game than the arcade games in the Astrodome, Bagwell's rookie season actually.
Ahhh the good old astrodome many fond memories of going to games there. Still have dreams of going to the dome. It was a fun place. I dont really care for minute maid park

Ahhh the good old astrodome many fond memories of going to games there. Still have dreams of going to the dome. It was a fun place. I dont really care for minute maid park
Astros fan here also, since the mid 80s. My first MLB game was in the Astrodome and got to see Mike Scott pitch. Been a fan ever since, even during the down years of the early 90s and early 2010s. This year's team is fun to watch and I love that they are in the Yankees heads.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom