Holder: Victor Butler could be "high target" of Saints (1 Viewer)

I was lurking the Steelers board to see how his vist went today and came across this tweet:

This was dated 3/13 so they could have sold him to come off his demands.

Also, if this is accurate, can we afford him?

$3ish million seems cheap for a proven passrushing OLB. $5 million seems reasonable. I'm sure we could work dat salary cap, but then there's no $ for veteran competition at LT. Salary caps suck...or at least such a low salary cap sucks.

I think Mr. Ryan needs to hop a quick flight to Pitt to interrupt that party and say, "Hey, remember me?"

Interrupt it? Hell, he'd probably order three steaks, five backed potatoes, two salads and a case of beer before sitting down, throwing his arm around Butler and saying, "Look here. As soon as I'm done eating, we're going to jump on Mr. Benson's plane back to New Orleans, where we'll have a classier dinner in the French Quarter and talk some real football."

That's right before he gives the finger to Steelers officials in the room, but only after he lets out a huge laugh.

What's important is the guaranteed. If its like half of what that says he is asking I think we can afford him.

I think $5-$5.5/yr. is a little high. Looking at the contracts signed for DE/Rush LB I think $3.5M-$4.5M would be a good offer.

Barwin got $6M (bad deal for Philly)
Walden got $4M (bad deal for Ind)
Bennett got $5M
Avril got $7.5M

If Pit allows to him leave, Loomis will get him around $4M.

I think $5-$5.5/yr. is a little high. Looking at the contracts signed for DE/Rush LB I think $3.5M-$4.5M would be a good offer.

Barwin got $6M (bad deal for Philly)
Walden got $4M (bad deal for Ind)
Bennett got $5M
Avril got $7.5M

If Pit allows to him leave, Loomis will get him around $4M.

That would be great, but once again what are those guaranteed salaries? That is a big difference.

That would be great, but once again what are those guaranteed salaries? That is a big difference.

Avril $11M Guaranteed
Barwin $8M Guaranteed
Walden $8M Guaranteed
Bennett $5M Guaranteed

I think the Walden and Barwin deals are bad deals but these guys (DEs/Rush LBs) really are not breaking the bank either way.

Someone needs to get ahold of Butler and let him know how cold it gets up in Pittsburg, and how nice it is to play on the fast surface of the Dome. As of now, he is still up there, I believe, as the Steelers try to get him signed.

AHA! I didn't see the post above this one.

Maybe someone already reminded him of this....

Butler's gonna land here, I'm convinced. Rob Ryan did good things with him. Very good things. And he's coming into his own, he'd probably be a starter here. Still young..Saints have to make this move.

I'm a big big fan of his tbh. He was behind 2 very good starters in Dallas and he still managed to show out as a very solid player, in a reserve role, in limited snaps. He's a damn good pass rusher and he's only 25.

His best football is yet to be played.

The Pittsburgh Steelers had a small group of visiting free-agents Friday, but all left without a contract. Sounds like a theme in the AFC North today.

According to Gerry Dulac of The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, running back Beanie Wells, outside linebacker Victor Butler and tight end Kellen Davis all finished their visits without any contract talks with the Steelers but that doesn't rule out the possibility of negotiations later.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/piece of work...e-agent-visits

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom