Home Field Advantage at Superdome (Bill Simmons Related) (1 Viewer)

Jackson

Very Banned
Reaction score
Bill Simmons has a really solid theory, and it's that all these new-generation billion dollar stadiums have taken a lot of the sizzle out of the old home field advantages that we were accustomed to in the 1980's and 1990's.

Invesco can't hold a candle to ole Mile High. Lincoln Financial doesn't give opposing teams quite the same nightmares that Veterans Stadium did. Lucas Oil Field is lazy and carefree, unlike the rollicking RCA Dome.

Here's Simmons' quote from the latest column, discussing the Superdome: "I like New Orleans better than Indy right now only because of the Saints defense (faster, scarier) and the Superdome (one of the only home-field advantages left in the league)."

I think he's right on. The Superdome has got to be considered the best home-field stadium remaining. Probably only Seattle, Chicago, Philly, Minnesota, and Buffalo can even compare any more.

My theory is that by process of elimination the Superdome's home field advantage may now be bigger than ever before. Teams don't really get to simulate such a raucous environment anywhere else - at least not in a domed stadium.

I think it's a couple of things about the dome. Mainly, since there are fewer amenities, people sit and watch the game. If you've ever been to a game at Carolina, you'll know what I mean, the stadium is half empty. Additionally, the dome is really contained, and gets loud.

The crowd at the Eagles game was loud, but the new architecture of that stadium is wide open and doesn't trap noise in.

another Bill Simmons related and followup....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmonsnflpicks/091002

Tangent related to nothing: For the past couple of years, I had been getting strange e-mails that there was an NFL referee who sounded just enough like "The Ladies Man" that it was funny. While watching the Niners-Vikes game last weekend, I realized whom they meant: Jerome Boger. Every time he announced a penalty, my friends and I were chiming in things like, "And al-tho, I'd like to invite you back to my crib for some Courvo-th-ier" and it never got old. The Ladies Man, Jerome Boger! He's now on my Mount Rushmore of NFL refs along with Ed Hochuli, Jerry Seeman and Jerry Seeman again.

Jerome and SP
610x.jpg

The dome is gonna look brand new from the outside (see the skin update thread), and is still way big enough to do whatever you want to the inside. Why some still say they want to replace, what is not only a symbol of the city, but basically a Katrina Memorial, with some jerryworld clone out in the suburbs, is beyond me. The Dome is home. It's the original Deathstar, and she's right downtown where she belongs.

Lincoln Financial doesn't give opposing teams quite the same nightmares that Veterans Stadium did.

Well, that's because opposing teams didn't expect that the turf was really just concrete they painted green, so when their heads hit it they were surprisingly concussed.

Also, with the higher ticket prices, you can't get the same "vocal" breed of fan that boos Santa (well, he had it coming) and winds up in the "Eagles jail" under the stadium waiting for a arraignment before an "Eagles Court judge" (this was real).

My wife and I always laugh at Boger's calls...."HOOLLLINN'..... NUMMA SEVENY EIGHT"

Very good ref though

LOL, I thought I was the only one that found his voice amusing. "Fi' yahd pennaldee..." I agree though, he and his crew do a pretty decent job (compared to the rest of the league's officials). Didn't realize it was his son that played ball at Tulane. Very interesting.

Here's a question for folks. You'll need to remove your black and gold glasses first though...

What does it say that the Dome is considered to be the last true home field advantage by anyone on a national level?

Before you answer, think about allll the talk over the last 10-15 years about the need for a new stadium. Think about the comments that today's stadium layouts offer better sightlines for viewers and expanded capacity over older, outdated stadiums. And lastly, think about the emotional connection associated with a half-destroyed Dome knee deep in filth, misery and debris in the weeks after Katrina.

For anyone to look at that building, that renovated, beautiful icon framed in the city of New Orleans...and say it...not the satdiums in Philly, Pittsburgh, Boston, New York or Indy...but IT...our Dome...is the last true home field advantage out there?

Pardon my level of excitement for just a moment...but man, that's freaking awesome!!

So I was savin' up on my 1000th post, until after the game.. but then figured, @#$@# it.. I'll use it for a big WHO DAT!? for everyone who gets to go to the game this Sunday, and I hope you all rattle the walls and the Jets offense. I'll be up here with friends and fam, screamin' our heads off for the neighbors to hear..

:gosaints: WHO DAT!? :gosaints:

So we got...

Ed "Gunboat" Hochuli,
Mike "Saint hater" Carey,
Phil "Get out of my way" Luckett (AKA Phil "Heads-tails" Luckett) .. and
Jerome "Ladies Man" Boger

(that picture of SP and Boger should be a "caption this" unless it's been done in the past)

I think he's right on. The Superdome has got to be considered the best home-field stadium remaining. Probably only Seattle, Chicago, Philly, Minnesota, and Buffalo can even compare any more.

My theory is that by process of elimination the Superdome's home field advantage may now be bigger than ever before. Teams don't really get to simulate such a raucous environment anywhere else - at least not in a domed stadium.

I'd add Green Bay to the list. Not just for the full stadium but also the late season, harsh climate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom