Home surveillance suggestions (1 Viewer)

EvilMike

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I would like to set up some kind of system in my home to keep an eye on some workers who will be in and out of my house. I would like this to be covert, so I need some suggestions on small hidden cameras or systems.

I tried a very small 1.2 ghz camera and was very unsatisified with the results. I could not get it to focus on anything more than a couple of feet away and it required that it be hooked into an outside display.

Any suggestions?

Does anyone use a security camera that you can playback recordings online? My mom got NightOwl, and it is excruciating to play it back, and it isn't great live either.

Does anyone use a security camera that you can playback recordings online? My mom got NightOwl, and it is excruciating to play it back, and it isn't great live either.

most these days have the ability to store online for some fee. My needs were unique because I had no easy way to get power outside the place I'm living so I needed both wifi and battery. But you put a memory card in it and can play back through an app without having to upload it. Provided you don't point it at the street or a high tragic sidewalk that will set off the motion detector 100 times a day, the battery lasts about 3 months and then you just unscrew it and plug it into a USB

Amazon product ASIN B0832SR3S9

most these days have the ability to store online for some fee. My needs were unique because I had no easy way to get power outside the place I'm living so I needed both wifi and battery. But you put a memory card in it and can play back through an app without having to upload it. Provided you don't point it at the street or a high tragic sidewalk that will set off the motion detector 100 times a day, the battery lasts about 3 months and then you just unscrew it and plug it into a USB

Amazon product ASIN B0832SR3S9

I read about Arlo in a site that reviewed multiple security cameras. Do you use Conico? I want a camera tied to a DVR, that I can replay over the Internet without a monthly fee.

I read about Arlo in a site that reviewed multiple security cameras. Do you use Conico? I want a camera tied to a DVR, that I can replay over the Internet without a monthly fee.

I think there is a way to do that but it isn't that kind of settup out of the box. The house I lived in a few years ago had a system like that that my landlord just left with me because she hated the neighbors. I think you can find a 4 camera system with the DVR for under 400 now and I will go that route when I buy my own next year (hopefully) I don't have personal knowledge on the shopping those yet though.

But on the Conico, it records it all to the SD. And you can either take it out to play it or connect to the camera through your router if its the internet itself that is the problem. Its not stored to a cloud unless you pay for a service like that.

I have the Arlo system. Video quality is pretty good, I think mine is first generation so the newer models should be better. It records to the cloud which you can view from the app or a web browser. I think it only keeps the past seven days of recordings for free, but you can download any recordings you want to save. You have the option to pay for longer storage.

The system comes with a central hub that the cameras connect to over their private WiFi.

Univision (UNV) cameras with DVR can be viewed from any remote location with internet service and free ezview software. I have (3) 4k, 4 megapixel cameras using a 5TB HDD and get 3-1/2 weeks of stored recorded video

ubiquiti cameras have great picture, also have audio. the controller is free but need a pc to run the software with storage depending on retention

im not sure that is legal to do without telling them, but here is a store that is in our area i would think they could help you

http://www.cctvwholesalers.com/pages.php?pageid=19&gclid=CMyj4JOfv4gCFQlPVAodQmlyKA

legal except in regards to audio and that is different for each state. In Louisiana it is only legal to record conversations if you are one of the parties. So you can record your phone conversations but not your spouse.

and of course it depends on where you put them. No cameras in bathrooms or change rooms is obvious I’d hope.

i completely missed the part where OP wanted covert. Most of that stuff comes from China and is dirt cheap. But you may want to buy two of everything since there are lots of duds. There are online spy shops but much of it is even on Amazon now. Many interesting built in options that are built in to light bulbs or surge protectors. And you could not tell without disassembling.

Last edited:
I have this set up, believe it’s around $175 or something like that. I got lucky and got em from a garage sale for $50. You can always add extra camera, not sure if others would work along with the monitor. But I love love love the fact that it came with its own monitor. You can view it through the app my hooking up an ethernet cable to the back of the monitor.
BC68CB68-3CD7-487A-B622-032CE0EB49FD.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom