Home theater (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
This is my next big purchase. I want to get as much information on the actual front projection theaters as possible. The picture doesn't have to be the absolute best because I want to keep the price of this down to a minimum. I want a projector that will play everything including: Direct TV, 360, DVD, and VCR.

I would like the picture to be pretty big and clear. I know that the screen has a lot to do with it also so what would you recommend? I would like to get a pretty cheap electronic one but if it has to be manual then thats no problem either.

I wont be purchasing this for at least a couple of months but I want to make a smart purchase when I do. I'm really looking for the best deals. Also, it wont be in a completely dark room.

thanks

p.s. countdown for severum

Eeyore is the resident projector expert, but I've done a bit of research on them.

Currently I'd say the Mitsubishi HD1000U (review) would be a good choice. 720P DLP, brighter than most units, image quality on par with $2k+ units but available for under $1k. The down side is lack of placement flexibility due to limited zoom and no lens shift (common with DLP in this price range), if your room isn't suited to the projector you might need to look at other options. Check the projector calculator at Projector Central to see if the HD1000U or other units will work with your setup. Inputs on this and most other projectors are limited, so you'll want a HD capable receiver or other hardware to handle switching duties.

You can get lower resolution units for around $500 if the budget is really tight, but most have quality drawbacks. Prices are dropping though, HD1000U dropped by $500 (minus free bulb) recently, so things may change in a few months.

I've only looked at paint and DIY fabric screens since I'm cheap. The forums at AVS Forum and Projector Cental are a good resource for projector/screen info, Projector Reviews has reviews of most units.

Do you already have a HT surround sound setup or is that getting an upgrade also?

I already have 5.1 surround but that will be getting upgraded also. thanks for the help sev. I'll check up on those links....

can you make the room completely dark? I think that is number 1 priority when talking about projectors.

can you make the room completely dark? I think that is number 1 priority when talking about projectors.

Yeah, I can make the room almost completely dark. I mainly watch TV and movies at night anyways with the exception of football. I can buy some black out curtains if I have to.

If I can get a budget theater for around $2000 including the screen then that would be great. I would probably be able to make the purchase after Christmas. I just dropped 3,000 on a massage recliner this month so I am taking a pretty big hit on that. I eventually want to go all out with the movie theater recliners and everything.

Agree with the Z line if you go for LCDs, less light output so you'll want to get the room as dark as possible. Placement would be more flexible and the warranty is better. With your budget it's worth considering the Z5 for a bit more light and improved image, $1445 after rebate with a 3 year lamp warranty. That is a nice price at BH with the extra lamp and screen though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom