Homemade hand pies, meat or dessert (1 Viewer)

Scorpius the Allfather

Dream Theater fanatic/ghost
Reaction score
I'm creating this thread because of my shrimp hand pies I made but it's more of a dessert that I'm thinking about at the moment. I know using canned stuff isn't as good as making it on your own but I bought a fried apple with cinnamon that I want to put inside my biscuit dough. And yes, I'm not thinking about using a different dough, I'm not ready for that besides it works with biscuits anyway! Now to be fair the idea that caused this thread is that I am for some reason thinking about making something other than the apple one. I want to make a vanilla pudding and I have extracts that I can use to flavor the pudding. Anyone have experience or ideas? Plus I'm not sure about making a frosting on top similar to hubig's pies and if that's done before or after you cook it.

As a kid my mom used to make these.....my favorite was always peach. She used the cheapest biscuits she could find and peach pie filling. Awesome....haven't had them in a long long time. She died in 05 and it'd been years before that when I had my last one.

As a kid my mom used to make these.....my favorite was always peach. She used the cheapest biscuits she could find and peach pie filling. Awesome....haven't had them in a long long time. She died in 05 and it'd been years before that when I had my last one.

So it sounds as simple as I thought?

I'm thinking that if I want to do peaches and oranges and pineapples that instead of using extract I could get the fruit cocktail versions and still use the vanilla pudding.

I'm sure you can put whatever you want in them really. May have to tweak it to get the sweetness to your liking. The pie fillings always came out good.

Scorpius once the meth has worn off can you restate the OP maybe separating trains of thought?
This sounds like it could be an interesting

Do some meth and get on the same wavelength as me man! But it's just about making something similar to hubig's pies in general. They have a light frosting on them, what's the best way to make that? And what's the best way to make the filling? Should I go with my pudding and extract idea or use actual fruit so that it has more texture?

Do some meth and get on the same wavelength as me man! But it's just about making something similar to hubig's pies in general. They have a light frosting on them, what's the best way to make that? And what's the best way to make the filling? Should I go with my pudding and extract idea or use actual fruit so that it has more texture?
You want the ingredients to be fairly dry once the baking starts to happen the ingredients will start to melt/bubble and ooze out of of your seams if it’s too wet

I would think the simplest would be a sheet of filibuster you cut in squares and shape your pie like turnovers (triangles)
Brushing a butter/sugar glaze on top before baking

You want the ingredients to be fairly dry once the baking starts to happen the ingredients will start to melt/bubble and ooze out of of your seams if it’s too wet

I would think the simplest would be a sheet of filibuster you cut in squares and shape your pie like turnovers (triangles)
Brushing a butter/sugar glaze on top before baking

Before baking? Noted.

Also if I insist on using biscuit dough I think I should use all purpose flour instead of self rising so that they aren't so huge.

My mom fried hers in just a bit of oil in a skillet. She would roll biscuits out, add filling, fold over, and go around edges with a fork to seal.

This is something I would like to add and try. Have never done this but I trust Alton's recipes and would try this.

Also if I insist on using biscuit dough I think I should use all purpose flour instead of self rising so that they aren't so huge.
I think this is the part that confuses me
Are you talking pillsbury biscuits that you’re trying to inject ingredients into or is his some sort or premise rollout biscuit?

What really sucks is I had blood work done last week and am diabetic now evidently so these are just a dream for me right now. I'll have to live this part of my life through you now. :smilielol:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom