Saints Honesty, is it the technique or coaching? (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Sticky Post
Now that Saints are on a bye, I'm clearly wondering if they are really gonna fix somethings or are we gonna see the same product from last 5 weeks. I'll bring up the secondary. Ok its been 4 years for Marcus Williams and his numbers have been down. Guys are consistently getting burnt and out of position. Hmmm COMMUNICATION perhaps. Also I wonder when the same mistakes are happening over and over does Dennis Allen and Aaron Glenn correct it or just don't do anything? What are they coaching? Is Defense to complicated and need to be simplified? I don't get it. Over and over and Redzone defense dead last 🤦🏾‍♂️. Please help me understand.

crawfish2010

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I think it's the players. Two plays that could have changed the whole narrative of the defense in the game against the Chargers.

1. The first TD. Cam Jordan beat his man and the blitzing Jenkins got to the QB but they let Hebert get outside of the pocket and extend the play. Marcus Williams still had good coverage on Keenan Allen but doesn't attack the ball. If one of these 3 players makes the play the Chargers end up with a FG and not a TD.

2. Malcolm Jenkins had a chance to make an easy interception with around 03:30 left in the game.

These two plays resulted in an 10 point difference in the game.

Bill

Still Leaking Gold
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Technique is taught and perfected by coaches. No?
Technique is taught by the coaches.
But technique is perfected by a player who has the aptitude and physical ability to perform as he's been taught.

acb814

Veteran
Reaction score
Coaching for sure. New season same mistakes and issues on defense. Pretty much the same roster outside of Malcolm Jenkins who was considered an upgrade from guess who...the coaches...so you improve your roster and make it smarter according to coach speak yet it doesn’t show at all and the team is having the same issues how is that not on the coaching.

CowtownSaint

The Excellence of Execution
Reaction score
Ultimately I think this is on DA as a coach to continually have this issue become worse and worse over the years. However. I am going to also say this, you can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink.

Ultimately it’s going to take everyone coming together to make the defence better. It’s on the players as much as the coaches, let’s not forget these are professional athletes.

St.Fury

Staff member
Administrator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Technique is taught by the coaches.
But technique is perfected by a player who has the aptitude and physical ability to perform as he's been taught.
I guess it depends on which type of technique we are talking about. There are essentially two categories: positional and scheme.

Each player is responsible for his positional technique. He can get some pointers from coaches, other players, or even outside trainers. Those Are techniques specific to whichever position he plays and has been learning and honing as long as he’s played that position. These are basic techniques. Those techniques don’t really change from scheme to scheme. An example of that would be a QB’s footwork, teackling, or spin moves for a DLman.

Scheme technique changes depending on scheme. That has to be taught first by the coach, honed by the player, but reinforced by the coach. An example of that would be a DB playing with inside or outside leverage or which Gap a DL lines up in. This technique routinely changes with scheme, so there is a bit more responsibility on the coaching staff to teach and reinforce technique. But that doesn’t eliminate the responsibility of the player to learn and hone those skills. This is the kind of technique we are routinely seeing breakdowns in. (More so than basic techniques, which we do see some breakdowns in.) If both the player and the coach are failing in this area, which we are, my opinion is that it falls on the coach for not holding themselves and players accountable.

acb814

Veteran
Reaction score
Keep in mind this is DA’s fifth year as coordinator. In that time time management has used numerous resources to improve the defense. These are the players DA wanted and thought would fit his scheme best and yet in his 5th year they’re still having the same type of breakdowns. If they’re not picking up your scheme or techniques by now your defense is either too complicated or you aren’t teaching it effectively enough at this point in your tenure. Seattle, Baltimore, patriots have defensive roster turnover yearly but still play consistent defense because they find players who fit their scheme and coach them up. These are Dennis Allen’s players he thought was best suited for his system he’s not coaching them up.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Headlines

Top Bottom