Honey Bee die offs (1 Viewer)

boutte

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
A huge problem that doesn't get the attention it deserves has been traced to to pesticides and organically modified crops. Once again we find that we're just smart enough to be dangerous to ourselves and the environment. Hopefully we're smart enough to fix it

Mystery of the disappearing bees: Solved! | The Great Debate

Thousands of scientific sleuths have been on this case for the last 15 years trying to determine why our honey bees are disappearing in such alarming numbers. “This is the biggest general threat to our food supply,” according to Kevin Hackett, the national program leader for the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s bee and pollination program.

Until recently, the evidence was inconclusive on the cause of the mysterious “colony collapse disorder” (CCD) that threatens the future of beekeeping worldwide. But three new studies point an accusing finger at a culprit that many have suspected all along, a class of pesticides known as neonicotinoids.

But don't blame it all on pesticides. We might need to take a hard look at these GMO crops. Seems like these are causing more problems than they're solving.
But scientists believe that exposure to toxic pesticides is only one factor that has led to the decline of honey bees in recent years. The destruction and fragmentation of bee habitats, as a result of land development and the spread of monoculture agriculture, deprives pollinators of their diverse natural food supply. This has already led to the extinction of a number of wild bee species. The planting of genetically modified organism (GMO) crops – some of which now contain toxic insecticides within their genetic structure – may also be responsible for poisoning bees and weakening their immune systems.

Bee's are super important to pollenation and in the general food supply. Sure hope we don't all die off because we killed bees..

A huge problem that doesn't get the attention it deserves has been traced to to pesticides and organically modified crops. Once again we find that we're just smart enough to be dangerous to ourselves and the environment. Hopefully we're smart enough to fix it

Mystery of the disappearing bees: Solved! | The Great Debate

But don't blame it all on pesticides. We might need to take a hard look at these GMO crops. Seems like these are causing more problems than they're solving.

I thought they solved this last year:dunno:

Wasn't it a parasite that makes them fly away from the hive?

I thought they solved this last year:dunno:

Wasn't it a parasite that makes them fly away from the hive?

Varroa mites. Don't know about solving the overall problem though. Articles I have read say that they use pesticides on the mites which helps the bees but the same pesticides weaken the bees to other immune system attacks.

Varroa Mites

apparently what they have found to work is breeding for so called "hygienic worker bees" which detect when eggs (brood) get diseased and dispose of them. Not all bees are hygienic.

Link to interesting PDF

this PDF is long but it hits on key points (reads like a powerpoint presentation)

There is also evidence that cell towers disrupt bee colonies... might not just be one issue at play

It's probably a combination of all. Sadly the GMO crops are one of the things that have been shown to cause problems in people too. Not the crop so much as the ability to Roundup everything and anything constantly because the crops are immune. Of course nothing else is, but that's not the point.

Not surprising at all. Monsanto and big agriculture are very dangerous

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

The Last Beekeeper | Netflix

Really awesome doc ostensibly about the bees, but great about the humans too. (The trailer is B/W, but the movie isn't.)

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/tJx4SYw78As" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is just job creation. I can see armies of people walking through the crops with Qtips and touching every flower .....count me in.

This is just job creation. I can see armies of people walking through the crops with Qtips and touching every flower .....count me in.

motivationdemotivator.jpg

Thank you. I already have one doc about Bees on the DVR I plan to watch (maybe NOVA?) I will add this to my list.

I'm pretty sure you won't be disappointed. I plan on watching it again soon, haven't seen it in a few years, but watched it twice.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom