Hope we don't wait til the second half to insert LM (Latavius Murray-Mod edit) (1 Viewer)

I don't get the obsession with this middling running back.
I think you're underselling Murray a lot. He's got the athleticism and talent to be a legit NFL bellcow back -- and at the same time, he's got the humility to accept his role on the team and to be willing to serve the greater mission of winning games.

assuming the backs are healthy and Hill is getting the majority of snaps, then I think the best approach would be Hill and Murray pounding early with a little Kamara to keep them off balance. And then let Kamara do his thing when they are weak in the second half. A healthy, fresh AK is no match for a warn down defense.

I mean, I'm loving what Kamara is doing this season, but 1.9 yards per attempt is not 'best RB in the game' numbers. Especially against a pretty weak run defense.

I don't think you can pull numbers from one game where a player like AK had 8 carries. Also, I don't think you can fairly evaluate AK as a top RB without looking at his receiving numbers and the impact he has on how the opposing defense must adjust for him.

Here are the game rush stats for our two RBs:

IMG_20201121_102530_799.jpg

IMG_20201121_102643_643.jpg

4.2 average in 2020, if that's middling maybe you should give it a go

Here is where Murray stands from the top of the NFL @ 4.2 sorted by ypc:

IMG_20201121_104554_944.jpg

I think you're underselling Murray a lot. He's got the athleticism and talent to be a legit NFL bellcow back -- and at the same time, he's got the humility to accept his role on the team and to be willing to serve the greater mission of winning games.

Murray has been in the NFL for 7 years and is 30 years old. If he was going to be a bellcow back, he would be one by now. He's a very good backup RB and a good change of pace power back in the Saints offense. But other than one year in Oakland, he has never been and never will be a bellcow RB. And at 30 years old, he is very unlikely to get better and very unlikely to play better while taking more hits at 30 years old. (There is only one Adrian Peterson) He's doing a very good job in the Saints' system because he is used properly by Payton as a change of pace back. He has been very successful at that and I see no reason to change his usage when you have a top 2 RB playing ahead of him.

what's wrong with 4.2 average??

I mean, I'm loving what Kamara is doing this season, but 1.9 yards per attempt is not 'best RB in the game' numbers. Especially against a pretty weak run defense.

You just going to ignore the fact that Kamara is averaging 4.7 YPC this season while Murray is averaging 4.2 YPC this season? Murray is a good RB, but Kamara is elite when you add in his receiving skills. Taking snaps away from an elite back like Kamara, who both runs and catches passes better than Murray, to give more carries to a one dimensional power back doesn't seem to be a very wise move to me.

Murray has been in the NFL for 7 years and is 30 years old. If he was going to be a bellcow back, he would be one by now. He's a very good backup RB and a good change of pace power back in the Saints offense. But other than one year in Oakland, he has never been and never will be a bellcow RB. And at 30 years old, he is very unlikely to get better and very unlikely to play better while taking more hits at 30 years old. (There is only one Adrian Peterson) He's doing a very good job in the Saints' system because he is used properly by Payton as a change of pace back. He has been very successful at that and I see no reason to change his usage when you have a top 2 RB playing ahead of him.
still, he's 4.2 in 2020, use him. JM :tpenny:

He's averaging 4.7 YPC....

I'm kind of half joking because I love what Murray brings to this team, but Kamara is almost always who you want on the field if he can be on the field. He's a freak.

Last edited:
what's wrong with 4.2 average??

It's the 28th best average for a RB in the NFL this year and .5 YPC lower than Kamara on the year. There is nothing wrong with that if he's the guy that is your change of pace guy or if you don't have an elite RB like Kamara. But, like I said, trying to force carries to a guy with the 28th best YPC average in the NFL who isn't a threat in the passing game, seems like a bad idea when you have an elite RB as your starter.

still, he's 4.2 in 2020, use him. JM :tpenny:

They do use him. They use him as a change of pace guy and a guy that gives Kamara a break. It's the perfect role for him. And he's 30 years old. He probably can't handle the punishment of many more touches per game than he is already getting.

Murray has been in the NFL for 7 years and is 30 years old. If he was going to be a bellcow back, he would be one by now.
Murray has been a bellcow before, 2015 in Oakland when he also made the AFC Pro Bowl team. After that, he started 23 games over the next two seasons, including 11 in 2017 with Minnesota after rookie Dalvin Cook went down.

I never said he was an elite, or necessarily even a top-10 bellcow running back. But I do think he's been an above-replacement-level running back his entire career.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom