Hopefully Keith Butler is the 4th DC (1 Viewer)

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I really want us to give this guy a chance. He is probably the best coach out there for guys like Tez and Galette who have never really played OLB in a 3-4. His LB unit has been amazing consistantly even when they had to move on from guys like Joey Porter he finds CFL/UDFA guys like James Harrison. He also know alot on the 3-4 and has spent 10 years under Dick LeBeau who is an amazing DC. IMO Keith is probably the best candidate out there for us. Here is some info on him. He also has experience as a LB in the NFL as he played for Seattle as a 2nd round pick and compiled the following stats in the 9 years.
<table class="infobox vcard"><tbody><tr style="text-align: left;"><td align="right">Tackles </td> <td align="left"> 813 (second on Seahawks alltime list)</td> </tr> <tr style="text-align: left;"> <td align="right">Interceptions </td> <td align="left"> 8</td> </tr> <tr style="text-align: left;"> <td align="right">Sacks </td> <td align="left"> 4 </td></tr></tbody></table>
33269d1327854288-former-steelers-lbs-coach-keith-butler-expected-1_butler.png

Coaching career

Butler began his coaching career at Memphis in 1990, coaching linebackers and later expanding his role to cover defensive ends and special teams by 1997. He was the architect of a surprise 3-4 defensive scheme which led to the U of M's shocking 1996 upset of the #6 Tennessee Volunteers, led by junior quarterback Peyton Manning. He then moved to Arkansas State in 1998 to serve as defensive coordinator and linebackers coach.
His professional coaching debut came as a linebackers coach for the expansion Cleveland Browns in 1999. He was the only assistant coach retained after a staff turnover in 2001, and coached the next two seasons under Butch Davis, mentoring the club's first ever Pro Bowl selection since returning to Cleveland, linebacker Jamir Miller.
Butler moved to the Pittsburgh Steelers in 2003, serving as linebackers coach. He has been extremely instrumental in mentoring the development of the Steelers' renowned linebacking corps. His linebacking experience has helped the Steelers consistently lead the NFL in rushing defense, total defense, and sacks. For example, the Steelers have ranked in the top five for total yards allowed in 7 of the 9 seasons Butler has served, and never worse than the top ten. Similarly, the Steelers have ranked in the top five for rushing yards allowed in seven of the eight seasons Butler has served, only ranking twelfth once in 2003.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-2">[2]</sup>
Butler has been influential in the development of Pro Bowl linebackers Joey Porter, James Farrior, Lawrence Timmons, LaMarr Woodley, and James Harrison. Harrison, in particular, improved from an undrafted practice squad linebacker into the NFL Defensive Player of the Year under Butler's tutelage.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-SteelersBio_1-1">[1]</sup>
He is considered a leading candidate to take over the Steelers' defensive coordinator position when Dick Lebeau retires, due to his experience in coaching Pittsburgh's 3-4 defense.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-3">[3]</sup>

Agreed. I like him a lot. He's my #1 choice right now.

3rd Choice was the guy from the 49ers

4th choice is either the LB coach from Baltimore/Pitt

I don't think this guy is going anywhere though. From the things ive read up on him the steelers are grooming him to be the successor to Lebeau

He's not available, Steelers have been blocking his requests for the past few seasons.

He's going to be the next DC in Pitt after LeBeau, and he doesn't want to go anywhere.

Hope to hear more candidates than ryan or grantham anyway. But as it's been pointed out, i seriously, seriously doubt he'll go away from pitts

I thought that Butler was promised the Pittsburgh DC position when LeBeau left.

Yup. Butler to stay with Steelers

Linebackers coach Keith Butler has decided against interviewing for the defensive coordinator position with the Colts and is going to remain with the Steelers, the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette has learned.

Butler was scheduled to interview with new Colts coach Chuck Pagano today in Indianapolis, but he changed his mind and canceled the trip after meeting Monday with team president Art Rooney II and coach Mike Tomlin.

Butler was told after the 2009 season he will be the team's defensive coordinator when Dick LeBeau retires -- a handshake agreement that was made when Butler turned down the Miami Dolphins offer to become their defensive coordinator.
I mean he already interviewed for DC positions in Indianpolis, and Miami and declined them both. Rooney has guaranteed him a handsome contract when LeBeau leaves.

Pittsburgh does not want Butler to get away.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom