Hopefully we won't sign anyone tomorrow (1 Viewer)

I expect Vilma and Smith to take pay cuts and stay with the Saints.I would like to see Will Smith retire as a Saint. I think we eventually sign Bushrod. Saints may make a move or two in free agency ,but I believe the Saints will count on the draft to bolster the defense.

But as my wife would gladly point out, I have been wrong many,many times.

Greg Jennings is oft-injured and looking for a big contract; there's a reason he hit the market. Cobb was better than him...just no.

exactly...the big bargains are later on...keep in mind arguably we have brought in the best defensive FAs over the past 2 years

I doubt we sign anyone tomorrow. We will just wait and pick up some 2nd 3rd and 4th tier 'value' players.

I agree. I would like to see some cuts so I could see how much interest we have playing in free agency and draft targets. And those cuts just might come today.

Then again....

By and large I agree with waiting and getting better value for $ in the deep FA period.

The part I have an issue with is urging patience amongst fans. What are we supposed to bide our time with if not the entertainment of panicky sky-is-falling threads?

I can't remember a time when the Saints signed a free agent early. Every year we wait, then Loomis signs like 5 players that we never thought we'd get.

Should be interesting though this year's free agent crop is solid.

Signing Bushrod will definitely be the priority. There is no way that Payton is going to go into the draft back into a corner forced to draft a LT to start next season. There is no guarantee that the three LTs worthy of the selection will even be there. Also, if you are going to draft a starting quality LT...why not just sign Bushrod? You aren't going to pay much more and you know he fits the scheme and has good rapport with the other linemen. I am not sure that it is going to be day 1...but I am confident that the Saints will be leaving the FA period with Bushrod.

Otherwise, I agree. The Saints are not in the position to overpay for a player. I think that FS is a huge position of need and considering that there isn't much help at the position in the draft...I wouldn't mind the Saints slightly overpaying for a guy like Ed Reed. But "overpaying" is all relative. Reed is worth any penny we could give him.

:no: But I want the following players on the team!:

Nnamdi, Reed, Revis, Harrison, Wallace, Kruger, and Jerry Rice!!!!

Come on what do you mean we are not going to really target these guys???

:covri: Sarcasm off....

Oh we'll make the two big decisions, Vilma and Smith, before FA begins, guaranteed. For one, we have to get under the cap anyways, which pretty much means dealing with Smith one way or another. Two, as long time, well thought of veterans, they'll deserve an opportunity on the market. We could always just cut them and resign them later if we'd like.

Past those two we may wait. Guys like Will Herring don't exactly have a waiting list of suitors, it's not much of a disservice to him to hold him on the roster and only cut him when the space is actually needed. We may cut him before FA, but it doesn't matter much whether we do or not.

The reason for delay? It's just what Loomis does. The Saints are notoriously secretive amongst the media. They very rarely tip their hand (which is why the "Saints like player X" stories are laughable). Loomis always waits patiently. Fr trade offers (remember how long he Shockey trade dragged out?), to make contract offers (Brees), to do anything. We're notorious for bringing in FAs and then not signing them until a week later, usually after they visit somewhere else. That always creates panic on the forum.

Loomis embodies zen-like patience in most things. Don't be surprised if we only deal with Vilma and Smith tomorrow. Not because we won't make other moves, but because he's liable to only make the moves he absolutely has to until the last possible moment,
Inside Saints HQ, there is a concrete vault filled with the latest in technological advancement to assist in sorting through the vast database of NFL and college players. Inside that vault, there is a windowless room away from the staff's conference area. Inside that room is a closet. Inside that closet is a soundproof box. Inside that cramped, but comfortable box, Loomis and Payton sit to discuss their plans for Free Agency and the Draft. They will then write their goals in the form of a riddle which is then locked in a puzzle which can only be opened at the conclusion of a great adventure in which one must face a myriad of challenges and even death. Then their minds are wiped and all notes will be destroyed in an incinerator before either of them leave the box, inside the closet, inside the room, inside the vault.

No one knows what Loomis and Payton are thinking...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom