Horizon Zero Dawn (1 Viewer)

antipop

Call It
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
don't they show the recommended level for each quest??

I fought that corrupted thunder jaw while further along and it was still pretty tough...

I used the tear arrows to strip all of his shooty weapons and use his disc launcher against him(if you can get to it with him crushing your face)

I also use the terrain to my advantage

UptownSaintsFan

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score

I fought that corrupted thunder jaw while further along and it was still pretty tough...

I used the tear arrows to strip all of his shooty weapons and use his disc launcher against him(if you can get to it with him crushing your face)

They definitely show the recommended level, but nothing in regards to how long it should take.

xpuma20x

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm level 34 and took down a level 27 TJ last night. I thought I was being clever and setting up bombs and tripwires, but after the first time it ran through it, the thing seemed to learn its lesson and would stop just in front of them and turn and go the other way. I was lucky enough to have about a 6ft cliff right behind me that I'd just roll off and hide when it would shoot the orange/yellow beam. Even with that level difference it still took a bit. I stunned it several times but could never find the critical hit spot though. The exploding arrows, whatever they're called, seemed to do pretty good damage. However, the Stormbird, in my opinion, is by far the hardest thing so far. Those divebomb attacks coupled with the shockwave attacks are just crippling and there's almost nowhere you can go that it can't see you. Just pack it up and call it a day if you have other creatures coming at you when that thing is chasing.

I've currently obtained all the metal flowers, Banuk figures, vantage points and vessels. I've hit all the tallnecks, I'm working on the last corrupt zone and I have 1 more cauldron. I need to also find all the practice dummies to knock over for that trophy.

antipop

Call It
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I've currently obtained all the metal flowers, Banuk figures, vantage points and vessels. I've hit all the tallnecks, I'm working on the last corrupt zone and I have 1 more cauldron. I need to also find all the practice dummies to knock over for that trophy.
platinum :9:

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score

It's my fault really. I'm not super accustomed to this format of game. But the flow and pace is sort of the problem for me. I finished one task was immediately greeted with another. It's like they are forcing feeding the quests to me rather than having them naturally discovered. And me, like an idiot, was like..."Ok. Sure. Let's go." So I went into it without having stocked up so I don't have a good supply of health potion for example. I've come close to beating the beast twice, but inevitably I make a mistake and get crushed. I definitely need to upgrade my bow with something that has more tear power.

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
Seriously though, that was difficult. It turns out I was at skill level 22. Recommended? 28.

Still, to finally beat the corrupted thunderjaw was very satisfying. I'm ready to give this game more time. I'll let the wife play the switch for now.

Last edited:

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
wait until you fight those corrupted rock breakers
I've killed a non-corrupted one on the same quest. But he wasn't that hard as I basically stayed on a mountain so he couldn't get to me. I just dodged the thrown rocks and kept shooting. The Thunderjaw was more difficult because I was in a narrow area. There was one rock structure in the middle of the valley that I used as protection. I basically went around in circles with the thunderjaw, using the rock and shelter from his shots and charges.

antipop

Call It
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
if you wait until you get the armor with the overshield, those corrupted areas will be easier

but you won't get the final power cell until close to the end of the campaign

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
if you wait until you get the armor with the overshield, those corrupted areas will be easier

but you won't get the final power cell until close to the end of the campaign
So is it best to keep working the main campaign and then circle back to side quests?

antipop

Call It
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
the ancient armor is kind of OP so if you are struggling with some of the side quests, it will help out a lot....I kind of just went by the suggested level of the quest...

the two corrupted rockbreakers might be the toughest fight in the game...they dive underground but if you use the tear arrows you can take that away from them by shooting their 'flippers'

xpuma20x

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I agree about the ancient armor, its pretty strong even without the ability to add mods. I finished up the platinum trophy today, the last one I was missing was the training dummies. I cheated and used a vid to locate the last 3 I was missing.

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I agree about the ancient armor, its pretty strong even without the ability to add mods. I finished up the platinum trophy today, the last one I was missing was the training dummies. I cheated and used a vid to locate the last 3 I was missing.
Do do you basically have to get to near the end of the main quest to get the ancient armor? I'm currently at the return to all mother quest. But I'm taking the time to gather some things before heading that way. For instance, I need to beat the cauldrons. Up to this point I had only beaten one. But I'm apparently doing them out of order. I knocked off the one with the thunder jaw last night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

antipop

Call It
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
whenever you go to Commander Zavala's workshop is when you can get the last power cell that you need for the ancient armor

Brennan77

Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I'm level 30 now I believe. It's much more fun killing robots now. Early on, I did not take resistance potions serious enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Saints Headlines (The Advocate)

Headlines

Top Bottom