Horizon Zero Dawn (2 Viewers)

Assassins Creed repetition or Shadow of Mordor Repetition? (I consider SoM to be far worse).

I'd say maybe a mix of the two? It's a lot of "go collect 10 of this item, 15 of this item and 3 of this item to make an upgrade to X." There are side quests found randomly throughout that follow the general pattern you already know, go kill X for me, go find Y for me.

there are actually plenty of different types of machines as you progress....some of them are pretty difficult to take down

I think my problem is that while there are a decent amount, 26 total IIRC (I'm at work so don't quote me on that), many of them are just replicas of each other with a slight difference. Watcher/Red Eye Watcher. Freeze bellowback/Fire bellowback. The trampler, charger and the broadhead are basically the same thing with different "horns". I mean, I get that they're all slightly different with their own personalities. But they really could have done a much better job at making them more visually distinctive from each other in my opinion. They had the whole animal kingdom to select from.

It's easily as good or better than something like Tomb Raider. It's not as good in the acting department as Mass Effect and no where near as good as The Last of Us or Uncharted. But the latter do not have dialogue choices etc, so that's not really fair.

The story line is pretty compelling in my opinion and the game looks incredible. My growing complaint is the pacing. The world is pretty amazing to observe. But it's nearly impossible to just ride your 'horse' and look around without running into serious baddies. Whereas you might encounter bad guys in a typical Zelda game and kill them with one button mash, every single encounter can quickly get out of hand in this game. So far there's been very little room to breathe. It's too dense with action, which I suppose is an odd complaint.

In the end it's a must buy. The graphics are probably the best on the PS4 so far. The combat is pretty freaking awesome. There's just a few things that keep it from being a perfect execution, which is a bummer. But every PS4 owner should buy this game. (unless you're worried about cultural appropriation ;))

all neckbeards aside, this is a pretty fair assessment of HZD....

Now being 26 hours or so into the game, I have to say that I really like it. My main complaint still remains though. I feel like the baddies are too numerous and too serious for competitive balance. This makes the game feel exhausting at times.

I also feel the side quests should have some way of indicating how long or difficult they are. Or at least have some way to leave them be and come back to them once you've started and realized you weren't into it. For instance, I started the bahavas side quest with the idea to help the falsely accused dude who was hiding in the mountains. Hours later ive had to kill one of the underground machines and now I'm fighting a corrupted thunder jaw without enough supplies. I just wasnt prepped for it. To that end, the is the first game in a long time that makes me feel like I'm fighting the old impossible bosses from old school games. I'm getting my butt kicked by this thunder jaw.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

don't they show the recommended level for each quest??

I fought that corrupted thunder jaw while further along and it was still pretty tough...

I used the tear arrows to strip all of his shooty weapons and use his disc launcher against him(if you can get to it with him crushing your face)

I also use the terrain to my advantage

I fought that corrupted thunder jaw while further along and it was still pretty tough...

I used the tear arrows to strip all of his shooty weapons and use his disc launcher against him(if you can get to it with him crushing your face)

They definitely show the recommended level, but nothing in regards to how long it should take.

I'm level 34 and took down a level 27 TJ last night. I thought I was being clever and setting up bombs and tripwires, but after the first time it ran through it, the thing seemed to learn its lesson and would stop just in front of them and turn and go the other way. I was lucky enough to have about a 6ft cliff right behind me that I'd just roll off and hide when it would shoot the orange/yellow beam. Even with that level difference it still took a bit. I stunned it several times but could never find the critical hit spot though. The exploding arrows, whatever they're called, seemed to do pretty good damage. However, the Stormbird, in my opinion, is by far the hardest thing so far. Those divebomb attacks coupled with the shockwave attacks are just crippling and there's almost nowhere you can go that it can't see you. Just pack it up and call it a day if you have other creatures coming at you when that thing is chasing.

I've currently obtained all the metal flowers, Banuk figures, vantage points and vessels. I've hit all the tallnecks, I'm working on the last corrupt zone and I have 1 more cauldron. I need to also find all the practice dummies to knock over for that trophy.

I've currently obtained all the metal flowers, Banuk figures, vantage points and vessels. I've hit all the tallnecks, I'm working on the last corrupt zone and I have 1 more cauldron. I need to also find all the practice dummies to knock over for that trophy.

platinum :9:

It's my fault really. I'm not super accustomed to this format of game. But the flow and pace is sort of the problem for me. I finished one task was immediately greeted with another. It's like they are forcing feeding the quests to me rather than having them naturally discovered. And me, like an idiot, was like..."Ok. Sure. Let's go." So I went into it without having stocked up so I don't have a good supply of health potion for example. I've come close to beating the beast twice, but inevitably I make a mistake and get crushed. I definitely need to upgrade my bow with something that has more tear power.

"Until at last, I threw down my enemy and smote his ruin upon the mountainside."

Attachments

• 17239940_10212750967874518_6235588978542908366_o.jpg
    17239940_10212750967874518_6235588978542908366_o.jpg
    151.4 KB · Views: 9
Seriously though, that was difficult. It turns out I was at skill level 22. Recommended? 28.

Still, to finally beat the corrupted thunderjaw was very satisfying. I'm ready to give this game more time. I'll let the wife play the switch for now.

Last edited:
wait until you fight those corrupted rock breakers

I've killed a non-corrupted one on the same quest. But he wasn't that hard as I basically stayed on a mountain so he couldn't get to me. I just dodged the thrown rocks and kept shooting. The Thunderjaw was more difficult because I was in a narrow area. There was one rock structure in the middle of the valley that I used as protection. I basically went around in circles with the thunderjaw, using the rock and shelter from his shots and charges.

if you wait until you get the armor with the overshield, those corrupted areas will be easier

but you won't get the final power cell until close to the end of the campaign

if you wait until you get the armor with the overshield, those corrupted areas will be easier

but you won't get the final power cell until close to the end of the campaign

So is it best to keep working the main campaign and then circle back to side quests?

the ancient armor is kind of OP so if you are struggling with some of the side quests, it will help out a lot....I kind of just went by the suggested level of the quest...

the two corrupted rockbreakers might be the toughest fight in the game...they dive underground but if you use the tear arrows you can take that away from them by shooting their 'flippers'

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom