Horn comments on the drops by Falcon receivers (1 Viewer)

I could be wrong but I believe that Hail Mary was the only one we completed in our history. Anyone know for sure?

I could be missing something, but I really only thought the Falcons had two drive-chaning drops you could pin solely on the receivers.

Roddy White's was just bad. But everybody knows the guy has been dropping key balls since he was drafted last year, like the potential TD against Tampa last year that could have been the difference between playoffs or not.

Lelie "dropped" a ball on the same drive on an out that I didn't think was very well-thrown or well-timed, but which he should have caught.

The pass Jenkins dropped over the middle was a laser thrown to him while he was crossing at a very shallow angle at full speed -- sure, Torry Holt makes that play look easy, but it's not. If that play is designed for that throw to be there without a curl, break or turn, I blame the coaches. If it's Mike Vick trying to make a stick throw at a receiver with little chance to adjust to the ball, well, that's not an incredibly high percentage play.

On every single broadcast of football we hear two things:

- Best receivers are the ones who learn to run crisp routes, and give confidence on where to throw the ball.

- Also, when pressed, the quaterback should get help from the receivers, allowing him to quickly avoid the pressure and throw the ball to or around them.

To me, the problem of the passing game of the falcons have most to do with the time it takes to develop. How can a receiver run a crips route if the play takes several seconds and reads, with the quaterback moving from position?

How can Vick make an adequate read if he is moving around and the receivers are breaking the routes to adjust to Vick's body movement.

I think Vick is not as bad as presented, and same for his receivers. The problem there is the lack of discipline on the offensive pass scheme. The run by Vick should be considered as the second or third read of the QB, and it should be timed.

This way the receivers should know how long they have to respect the route before turning around, and Vick also should learned that after making a first or second read, now it is time to run since the time for the receivers to respect the route has passed.

Tough indeed to install, but this is the only way for them to use all of Vick's potential.

It is utterly ridiculous to blame the QB for WR's dropping passes that hit them in the hands. These guys get paid millions of dollars to do one thing; catch the ball. You might as well blame the QB for a lineman missing a block.

The Falcon's passing game has no rhythm to it. Maybe I'm just imagining things but it seems that when the Falcons do drop back to pass, the pass is usually for 20 yards are more. If they'd go to a more high percentage, short passing game it would allow Vick and his receivers to get into more of a rhythm.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom