Hornets and state reach new deal (1 Viewer)

And how is that any different than the buyout clauses that the State and the Saints re-negotiate every couple years? IIRC, the Saints last buyout clause was for less than $100 million ($83 mill?) and TB makes hand over fist more money than the Hornets.

Like him or not, George Shinn has put up some serious money to deal with returning the team to New Orleans. I don't think there's anything "fishy" about him wanting to maintain stabilty for his investment. It's business. He's putting a hell of a product on the court, with proven leadership, with the serious backing of the NBA and the interest of the city and region in mind. Not to mention under extraordinary social and economic circumstance.

Anyway, I do agree with you that the support up to now does make it seem difficult that those numbers are attainable.

The Saints never got to that out clause because of Katrina and the ensuing league support and pushing for the team to return and stay for at least the short term future; Not to mention close to "free" stadium enhancements because of Katrina insurance money. Personally, and I hate to say this, but I think Katrina saved the Saints in New Orleans for at least the short-term. Not only from a civic pride standpoint or with the stadium upgrades. If Katrina doesn't hit, we probably don't go 3-13, we probably dont get Reggie Bush and season tickets probably don't sell out.

I do like the Hornets but something really rubbed me wrong during their OKC stay and I do not trust Shinn at all. I just dont think I should get excited about a new stadium lease that has an out in it after just 1 new season of play and an out clause that seems pretty easy to trigger. Its also an out that his side can influence moreso than you think. Selling 14K-plus tickets is not all on the fan base. The Hornets will have to make a big push marketing and sales staff wise to reach that number and I just said I will be interested to see how they attack it and even IF they will attack it.

The amount of money it takes to break it could be an issue of course, but I am sure if they were to trigger it, the city they planned to move to would help pay the bill.

Last edited:
The Saints never got to that out clause because of Katrina and the ensuing league support and pushing for the team to return and stay for at least the short term future; Not to mention close to "free" stadium enhancements because of Katrina insurance money.

I do like the Hornets but something really rubbed me wrong during their OKC stay and I do not trust Shinn at all. I just dont think I should get excited about a new stadium lease that has an out in it after just 1 new season of play and an out clause that seems pretty easy to trigger. Its also an out that his side can influence moreso than you think. Selling 14K-plus tickets is not all on the fan base. The Hornets will have to make a big push marketing and sales staff wise to reach that number and I just said I will be interesting to see how they attack it and even IF they will attack it.

The amount of money it takes to break it could be an issue of course, but I am sure if they were to trigger it, the city they planned to move to would help pay the bill.

I agree with every reason you put forth. If the initial post would have said that I wouldn't have responded. There are a lot of NBA/Hornets haters out there and I get tired of negative posts that don't offer anything substantive or informative re: the actual situation for the team being in the city. Thanks for taking the time to clarify.

I like the gesture to the New Orleans Hornets fans. It basically says come to the games, and we're yours. Besides, there is a ridiculous fee if they do break the agreement and attempt to leave...like, around $100 million. So, basically, we now have the Hornets until 2014. It's a HELLUVA lot nicer than Benson and the Saints. We've got two more years with the Saints on their lease and we're going to here.."DO THIS OR WE ARE GOING TO LEAVE...AND YOU MUST PAY US $$$ MILLIONS A YEAR IF YOU DON'T BUILD A STADIUM. PERIOD." Watch. At least Mr. Shinn is a human and not as cold-blooded as Mr. Benson.

get to the damn games...

this is great news, and we have a pretty damn good team!!!
lets keep the hornets in new orleans and show the world we are a two sport town...

The team needs to market it's self to the Gulf south region, hardly anyone know's when the Hornets are doing, most people in south Louisiana can't even catch the games, I don't think the Hornets will be in New Orleans in 2 years, where they'd move i have no idea but it wont be New Orleans with all the Out Clauses in the contract and attendance dancing up and down every season especially with Football season almost around the corner again.

Where they'd move i have no idea but it wont be New Orleans with all the Out Clauses in the contract and attendance dancing up and down every season especially with Football season almost around the corner again.

Seattle, St. Louis, Kansas City, Anahiem or even Vegas. There are alot more options than people think. I'm with you as much as I'd like to see them stay for a very long time I don't see them here after the 2008-09 season.

Watch. At least Mr. Shinn is a human and not as cold-blooded as Mr. Benson.

I think your giving Shinn way to much credit here. He screwed over Charlotte and he won't think twice about doing the same thing to New Orleans. With this lease he can play the "We tried everything we could to keep the team here, but people just didn't show up" card right as the team is packing it's bags to play as the Kansas City Hornets for the 2009-10 season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom