Hornets and state reach new deal (1 Viewer)

With football over and a team who will probably be a top 4 seed, they should reach those marks.

whats the capacity of the arena? -

time will tell if they have a following, looks like the are a playoff team, they should do well at that time since allot of other events will be over (mardi gras etc) jazz fest im guessing will be going on.

as far as paying the money - depends on what you loose in attendance and what kind of deal you get from the new city.

though im expecting the city to be raked over the coals due to attendence during the all-star break by the former player now media types

With football over and a team who will probably be a top 4 seed, they should reach those marks.

Should, but with comments like these:

Posted by godwin2 on 01/09/08 at 1:23PM
bye bye hornets.

Posted by christuran on 01/09/08 at 12:54PM
Let's be number one in low attendance.

following the article and people who share similar sentiments, it's tougher than it should be.

On second thought, they probably wont reach those marks, but we sure as hell will sell out every VooDoo game :mad:

Historically (I know, all of two years), there has been a spike in attendance once the Saints season ends. The last few games, the Arena has definitely been more crowded. One of which was LeBron and the other was a pretty massive ticket giveaway for New Years, but I think the real trick that the Hornets organization needs to pull off is just getting marginal fans in there. Once people see this team live, there will definitely be a surge in interest and people will come back.

This team, barring injuries, is the real deal and for those of us fortunate or dedicated enough to go to these games, we are witnessing some serious b-ball greatness in Chris Paul. The rest of the starters have the goods as well (we're admittedly thin with our backups which will make an extended playoff run difficult in the West), but Paul is playing at an MVP level. It's extraordinary.

It'll be interesting to see if the Hornets actually put forth a good faith effort to reach those lofty sales goals. I think this deal is fishy.

Yeah, it can be terminated but only at a huge cost. I don't see Shinn paying back over $100M in penalties.

True, but he might not necessarily have to pay it himself. Depending on what type of other financial offers might come from other cities to entice him. I'm not specifically saying they would offer to pay the buyout, but other enticements are possible in a round-a-bout way.

Still, I think the Sonics interest in OKC kinda puts a sting on any "immediate" options for the Hornets to move.

It'll be interesting to see if the Hornets actually put forth a good faith effort to reach those lofty sales goals. I think this deal is fishy.

Please expand. Or is this an uninformed, gut opinion.

For Waymer: By NBA by laws, the Hornets have passed the deadline to file for a move to another city. Seattle met the time requirement. For the foreseeable future, the Hornets moving to OKC is officially not an option.

I love going to the Hornets game, but it is hard to go during the week to the games, I try to make 4 or 5 per year and will be more likely to go now that football is over.

Please expand. Or is this an uninformed, gut opinion.

For Waymer: By NBA by laws, the Hornets have passed the deadline to file for a move to another city. Seattle met the time requirement. For the foreseeable future, the Hornets moving to OKC is officially not an option.

What's more for there to expand on? I think the goal is unrealistic and if the team didn't want to break the lease there wouldn't be such an easy to attain clause in it.

I wish so bad I still lived in Louisiana I cant wait to finish school and get back I went to my first NBA game this year when the Hornets came to Atlanta right before the SEC Championship game. It was awesome, but from what I hear Phillips arena here in Atlanta blows the Arena in Nola out of the water I must admit even though I have never been to the New Orleans Arena I can't imagine it getting much better than Phillips. Although the Super Dome is 100 times nicer than the Circus tent that Atlanta calls a Football Stadium. I plan on having Season tickets to the Hornets when I move back! By the way why the *** are the Hornets never on national TV this Fridays game on ESPN is maybe the first I have seen on national TV all season!

Last edited:
One last thing and then I'll bow out.

It's absolutely imperative that the cable companies reach an agreement to broadcast the games on the Northshore and build that crucial economic market. The N.O. city council, as well as NS reps, had a sit down with Charter and Cox yesterday to try to re-open negotiations. If that doesn't happen, Hornets have no long term chance.

What's more for there to expand on? I think the goal is unrealistic and if the team didn't want to break the lease there wouldn't be such an easy to attain clause in it.

And how is that any different than the buyout clauses that the State and the Saints re-negotiate every couple years? IIRC, the Saints last buyout clause was for less than $100 million ($83 mill?) and TB makes hand over fist more money than the Hornets.

Like him or not, George Shinn has put up some serious money to deal with returning the team to New Orleans. I don't think there's anything "fishy" about him wanting to maintain stabilty for his investment. It's business. He's putting a hell of a product on the court, with proven leadership, with the serious backing of the NBA and the interest of the city and region in mind. Not to mention under extraordinary social and economic circumstance.

Anyway, I do agree with you that the support up to now does make it seem difficult that those numbers are attainable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom